Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Mario

I'll Lock Up
And yet another 7 3/8 Whippet that went for big bucks ($338):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320479392191&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

God bless my tiny noggin! :D

!BkWQ81wBmk~$(KGrHqUOKjcEs6mnmri9BL(KpGSiIw~~_12.JPG

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That's crazy expensive for a 6 7/8. I cry at all the 6 7/8 and 7s of far better quality in every antique store.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Hey Lefty,
If I follow, the general trend is a direct relationship between increasing hat size, and increasing price. Any reason for this? The only thing I can think of is that people's heads were smaller back then, so larger hats are rarer, thus more expensive today.

--flute

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
I think many of the smaller vintage hats were worn by youths who outgrew them and put them in storage long before they wore them out. That's one reason for their prevalence.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's a bit more of a curve, cresting at around 7 1/2. I recently posted this somewhere else, but there is the theory that people used to have smaller heads. While no one has posted any numbers to support it, the abundance of tiny hats makes it look good. Then there's the theory that hat sizes haven't changed. It's got a little support by our micro-sample poll, which really did show a bell curve in the hat size of members here.

short answer: That's just the way it is. [huh]

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
I think many of the smaller vintage hats were worn by youths who outgrew them and put them in storage long before they wore them out. That's one reason for their prevalence.

If this were true, I'd expect to see just low to medium end hats, but as Garrett, Sue, Mario, and ebay show, there are, proportionately, just as many of the very high end hats in the small sizes as there are in the big ones. I can't imagine that many kids under 16 were getting the $50 and $100 hats in the 40s and 50s.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
I think that's a fair point Lefty. I'm not saying that mine is the exclusive reason, but merely one reason for the prevalence of small vintage lids (and not all the hats are in the expensive range).
What I find hard to believe is that in the space of barely one generation the average head has grown by around 3 hat sizes.
Yet, we do have a disparity in the hats that are out there.[huh]

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Tan Knox Premier

Two hats in one day - I was on cloud nine all afternoon at work. This was one I really wanted and, for a change, I got it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390146788569&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It's a light tan, fills a hole in my hat wardrobe nicely. Pristine condition, just needed a brushing. There's a slight dust shadow from the previous crease on the crown, should clean right up. Pics will be posted in the School of Hard Knox.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Ephraim Tutt said:
I think that's a fair point Lefty. I'm not saying that mine is the exclusive reason, but merely one reason for the prevalence of small vintage lids (and not all the hats are in the expensive range).
What I find hard to believe is that in the space of barely one generation the average head has grown by around 3 hat sizes.
Yet, we do have a disparity in the hats that are out there.[huh]

I agree, head sizes couldn't have ballooned that much since my dad's time.

It could be that the common sizes today were just as common then, and were more likely to be handed down to children and relatives who could wear them, sold at rummage sales, or donated to charity drives. Smaller hats might not have gone through as many owners.

Tooch

One of the Regulars
Yet, we do have a disparity in the hats that are out there.

Hmmm ... According to the Centers for Disease Control, Americans have been getting taller (and fatter) over the past few generations -- at least since 1960.

"On average, both men and women gained more than 24 pounds between the early 1960s and 2002. During the same time period, mean height increased approximately 1 inch."

Full report is here (PDF)

That's not hat size, of course. But I don't think it's too great a stretch to assume that people who are taller and heavier than their grandparents have heads that are somewhat larger, too. I wouldn't be surprised if the same phenomena have been seen in other developed countries that have experienced changes in nutrition and health care.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Tooch said:
Hmmm ... According to the Centers for Disease Control, Americans have been getting taller (and fatter) over the past few generations -- at least since 1960.

"On average, both men and women gained more than 24 pounds between the early 1960s and 2002. During the same time period, mean height increased approximately 1 inch."

Full report is here (PDF)

That's not hat size, of course. But I don't think it's too great a stretch to assume that people who are taller and heavier than their grandparents have heads that are somewhat larger, too. I wouldn't be surprised if the same phenomena have been seen in other developed countries that have experienced changes in nutrition and health care.

:eek:fftopic:
Americans getting fatter - no argument here. Anecdotally, I'm much taller than my father and paternal grandfather, and about the same height as my maternal grandfather, but my dad's punkin is larger than mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82