Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Tom-n-Perris said:
I was also one of those last minute snipers hopping to get this Montecristi. :D I was also thinking that I could snag this Panama for a good price. I was unlucky in my bidding as I did not put enough down on my snipe.:mad: Well there goes my plan to re-block a Montecristi Panama Hat. :rage:

I agree with Scott as to the condition of the hat and as to what the finale wpi count would end up at. But I did notice that the Montecristi had at least five vueltas that I could see from the pictures provided by the seller. It would have been nice if the seller had a picture of the inside of the crown so that one could really see what you might be purchasing.
They actually are fairly high resolution photos. If you copy them you can enlarge to fill the screen and they stay fairly sharp.
4282899458_c040be7b29_o.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Tom-n-Perris said:
Rik, thanks for the tip I will do that next time I see good Panama on the Bay that I am unsure of. :D
Of course if they are out of focus(usually) they don't improve as they grow.

m000m000

One of the Regulars
I just scored this Borsalino San Remo.

336446016_tp.jpg

Will be my first Borsalino with a felted edge. Was wondering about the seller's age estimation - for some reason the Borsalino dating thread eludes my searches at the moment :V.
It has an unreeded sweat with a serrated front and a blue-white cloth label, as you can see in the pictures.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
fedorafiend said:
Got it! Will post photos when it arrives. I have been stalking it for a week, in fact, this seller had another one that sold with a BIN for $79.00...unfortunately, I missed that one.

...but fortunately for me :) The seller told me that the two hats are about the same size, so you should be okay if you were hoping for a 7 1/4

It turned out to be very nice, almost perfect - Stetson Company Store hat and has this $10 price tag under the sweatband:

StetsonMCDtl.jpg

20100107_20_46_46_dsc03093_eb.jpg

20100107_20_47_34_dsc03095_eb.jpg

fedorafiend

Familiar Face
Stetson Montecristi

ScottF said:
...but fortunately for me :) The seller told me that the two hats are about the same size, so you should be okay if you were hoping for a 7 1/4

It turned out to be very nice, almost perfect - Stetson Company Store hat and has this $10 price tag under the sweatband:

StetsonMCDtl.jpg

20100107_20_46_46_dsc03093_eb.jpg

20100107_20_47_34_dsc03095_eb.jpg

Congratulations, and thank you for the heads up. 7 1/4 is what I'm hoping for and I am really looking forward to this one. Any ideas on the weaves per square inch of your hat?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
fedorafiend said:
Congratulations, and thank you for the heads up. 7 1/4 is what I'm hoping for and I am really looking forward to this one. Any ideas on the weaves per square inch of your hat?

And she ships fast.

Rough estimate: 450

fedorafiend

Familiar Face
Amadeo Lupi montecristi

rlk said:
A good scan would be terrific. The company was around when the Canal was built and probably supplied some of the workers hats.
I too was bidding on this hat, was the next to last bid. I wanted it real bad and can't believe so many knowledgeable bidders bore in on a "woman's" hat! This hat could well be quite the gem and possibly a 1000+ weave count.

It's getting pretty rough out there on the 'bay. Incidentally, for you history buffs, Amadeo Lupi was a local businessman in Panama who witnessed the assassination of the then President of Panama, in 1955, at a race track.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Did I miss the announcement that this was incredible panama week? Between the 3 shown here and that new Brent Black, January is a good month for straws.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
Did I miss the announcement that this was incredible panama week? Between the 3 shown here and that new Brent Black, January is a good month for straws.

This was a pretty amazing Montecristi (Knox 35) that sold on ebay last Sunday (mine). I was happy with the price, but I think whoever won it should be also - wpi was around 700, flawless supple straw, basically mint condition hat. Only drawback was a short brim:

Knox thirty five Montecristi

!Bitogr!!Wk~$(KGrHqQH-DwEs-pIEZygBLQV6LG6ZQ~~_3.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82