Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
1930's Playboy box

Picked this up to match with my 1930's Playboy - 'Playboy' on the side of a 1930's Stetson box:

!BfP+1kw!Wk~$(KGrHqMH-D8Er2S64jdKBL!fH,!D-Q~~_3.JPG

cptjeff

Practically Family
Hoosierken said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220511313026&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Hopefully I did this right...forgive my newness.
I bid early in this auction then forgot about it. I didn't think the low bid would win it anyway.

I'm still learning quite a bit on these hats.
What do I really have here? I know the 3X means that it has a small amount of beaver fur only.
I meant to ask the exact size, forgot that too...Been out of the office a lot lately. I figure I'll know someone to take it if it is not wearable.
Any opinions from the lid experts?

Thanks
Ken

You have a very nice hat of completely unknown size. 3x is a pretty significant quantity of beaver and a very nice felt.

If it's not wearable for you, there are many on this site who would be delighted to take it off your hands. If you don't own a cloth tape measure, pick one up. The seller should have.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
:eusa_doh:
Mario said:
You meant to write 'The German Playboy Society', right? Note the difference! :D

I'm well, thank you. Had to undergo a knee surgery today, as I tore my meniscus a few month ago. Today was the day. :eek: I'm a bit slow at the moment, moving around with crutches, but that's only for a week or so.

GPS lol

Haven´t we all had this kind of surgery? :D Hm, sports ... . When my knee was worked on, I drove to the clinic by myself not realising, that I will not be able to drive home afterwards. :eusa_doh:

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Ephraim Tutt said:
Nice pickup Scott.

We ought to have a dedicated thread for hat boxes. There are some beauties out there in Lounger Land

Start it - I'll contribute.

But I'll warn you that that isn't a very popular topic around here. Apparently enough people have tried to date hats based on the boxes they arrived in, to give some loungers a bad taste about boxes in general. it's a shame - hats came in boxes and if you are going to keep a few boxes around, you might as well have some that go with your hats. Just my opinion.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Mario, I'm guessing your brims require a bit more than just a single row of stitching, but I still am giving you a virtual whap upside the noggin for letting that beauty go for $56 - that's an old one and very, very nice!

Thank you so much, Scott - just what I needed. :p But then I spent the best part of the last night slapping myself for letting that Playboy slip my grip - but the good thing is (unexpected side effect?) that it also took my mind off that other pain in my knee! ;) :D

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
ScottF said:
Start it - I'll contribute.

But I'll warn you that that isn't a very popular topic around here. Apparently enough people have tried to date hats based on the boxes they arrived in, to give some loungers a bad taste about boxes in general. it's a shame - hats came in boxes and if you are going to keep a few boxes around, you might as well have some that go with your hats. Just my opinion.

Really Scott? I'm sure most of the regular Loungers would see the value of hatboxes as a piece of social history - and often a work of art - in their own right. Most of mine are of the common variety but I just bought an antique - or at least very early - Dobbs box that is a worthy thread starter.

Let's see what happens...

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Ephraim Tutt said:
Really Scott? I'm sure most of the regular Loungers would see the value of hatboxes as a piece of social history - and often a work of art - in their own right. Most of mine are of the common variety but I just bought an antique - or at least very early - Dobbs box that is a worthy thread starter.

Let's see what happens...

I'm curious what that Dobbs box is composed of. Now you're going to have to buy a top-hat to put in it.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
hats came in boxes and if you are going to keep a few boxes around, you might as well have some that go with your hats. Just my opinion.

Agreed

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
ScottF said:
I'm curious what that Dobbs box is composed of. Now you're going to have to buy a top-hat to put in it.

I'm guessing it's a thick cardboard - but I'll let you know (and post some pics in the Hatbox thread) when it arrives. Apparently it's silk lined.

billysmom

One Too Many
Another Shudde Bros

I was the only bidder on this Shudde Bros hat.

Shudde1.jpg

Shuddebox.jpg

The listing:

STETSON BOX IN VERY GOOD CONDITION. DOES HAVE A "SHADOWY" AREA ON LID. STRAP IN GOOD SHAPE. INTERIOR IS PERFECT... INSIDE THE LID THERE IS FADED SPOT THAT MATCHES THE HAT, AS TO BE EXPECTED WITH AGE.

HAT ITSELF LOOKS TO NEVER HAVE BEEN WORN. BAND STATES "SHUDDE BROS HOUSTON" ....."PURE BEAVER" AND THE LETTERS 'R A MC C" "6 7-8" TAG

BRIM. 3.25" RIBBON BAND

INSIDE IT SAYS "CUSTOM MADE BY SHUDDE BROS."

We'll see what comes in the mail ....

Sue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe