Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
It was also from 1982-one year after Raiders came out. For a lot of folks this hat is the closest they will get to an actual Raiders of the Lost Ark fedora. I can see why this one went so high.

Saying that, this hat looks nothing like the Raiders hat. Still if the price was right I would have bid on it.....

Regards,
Hollis

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
M_Jones said:
It was also from 1982-one year after Raiders came out. For a lot of folks this hat is the closest they will get to an actual Raiders of the Lost Ark fedora. I can see why this one went so high.

Saying that, this hat looks nothing like the Raiders hat. Still if the price was right I would have bid on it.....

Regards,
Hollis

Still, the same hat (same design, color, maker) in a 7 1/4, went for under $300 in March. Now that's inflation.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
a rare Fabroc
!BUvBBjQBmk~$(KGrHgoOKi8EjlLmZdNYBKO+V0wClQ~~_1.JPG
!BVJlYEgBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CQEkJwwr(3WBKQ+WDCmC!~~_1.JPG

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Garrett said:
Just won this Borsalino Marque Grand Luxe in a beautiful camel color. This marks the 3rd Grand Luxe I've come across. Portolan now owns one of them. Great hats. Thanks to Baron Kurtz and Dinerman for introducing me to these gems.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT&salenotsupported
Saw that one. Far too small for me.
But I wondered if it might be a velour. I know a guy
who has a Borsalino velour a lot like that. Outstanding hat.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Garrett said:
Just won this Borsalino Marque Grand Luxe in a beautiful camel color.

I saw that one on the Bay and drooled. What a fantastic lid, Garrett. Looks just beautiful. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up

Garrett

Lefty said:
That seller has got to be disappointed, after listing the hat for $99 the first time around. Great score!

The seller listed it for $149.99 initially, then $99, and finally $9.99 - third times a charm for me but in his case it was 3 strikes you're out. From the seller standpoint I would be supremely disappointed but i think the $20 shipping price tag fended other people off, hence the low price.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Garrett said:
The seller listed it for $149.99 initially, then $99, and finally $9.99 - third times a charm for me but in his case it was 3 strikes you're out. From the seller standpoint I would be supremely disappointed but i think the $20 shipping price tag fended other people off, hence the low price.

I think that at sellers not familiar with hats might do a completed-auction search on whatever brand of hat they have and come across a few top-dollar auctions. They think that their hat should do as well so start the bidding high (or set a high reserve) and then don't understand why no-one bid on it.

I think you're right about the shipping aspect as well, Garrett. There have been many times I've not bid on a hat simply because of the over-the-top shipping quote. I may go for it if I think that I can get a hat with a low bid (as you did! :eusa_clap ) so that the total cost is reasonable.

Cheers,
Tom

Garrett

Lanson Hubbard Boater

So this lovely vintage boater arrived the other day.

pic15062.jpg

pic15063.jpg

pic15064.jpg

pic15065.jpg

pic15066.jpg

pic15067.jpg

The seller made it out to be a 6 7/8 to 7 in CM size but when I put it on and it slid all over the place I looked under the band to find the original size tag!

IMG_2057.jpg

Was really hoping I could wear this one on occasion

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Garrett said:
...The seller made it out to be a 6 7/8 to 7 in CM size but when I put it on and it slid all over the place I looked under the band to find the original size tag! [7 1/4]
**face-palm**

What a lovely boater. I can understand your disappointment, and it would have taken so little for the seller to accurately represent the hat. What are your plans for it? I'm not in the market but I imagine someone here would be happy to make a place for it in their wardrobe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe