Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I caught this beauty with a snipe bid just $3 over the final price

beautiful Lounger-sold Stylepark, 7 3/8
!BTS30d!!2k~$(KGrHgoH-D!EjlLlz,uWBKHs!bhqGg~~_1.JPG

Lionpurebeaver.jpg
Lionlable.jpg
I was runner up on this 100 % Beaver OR style

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
jonbuilder said:

You don't show up too often, but you always bring the goods when you come. :eusa_clap

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
jonbuilder said:

Good on ya, jonbuilder! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I was watching that one but didn't bid. Glad a fellow Lounger got it!

But your comment brings up a question that I've been meaning to ask everyone: How often, if ever, do you win an auction by exactly your maximum bid?

I've actually done so a number of times, and each time it's a bit of a surprise when you consider the somewhat random nature of the bids that lead to odd numbers being seen.

So, has it happened to anyone else?

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
I BIN'd a similar one on Saturday. Everything about it is brand new except a slight friction rub on the crown - owner took great care of it.

WhippetFrontMed.JPG

My God, is that a 7 5/8s at that price? Wow! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

GClark

One of the Regulars
Help with larger hat prices

I would like to get a vintage hat, but I'm a 7 3/8 - 7 1/2.
(Familiar story I'm sure).
I would like to know what the general current trend in price is, so that I can tell when a hat is getting out of control price wise, and what is a good deal. For a hat in generally good condition in that size range, what is the price range that you guys would be willing to pay? I have seen fairly nice hats in those sizes for around $150-$175. Is that "about right"? How high have you seen such hats go, and how low? Thanks!

kaosharper1

One Too Many
GClark said:
I would like to know what the general current trend in price is, so that I can tell when a hat is getting out of control price wise, and what is a good deal. For a hat in generally good condition in that size range, what is the price range that you guys would be willing to pay? I have seen fairly nice hats in those sizes for around $150-$175. Is that "about right"? How high have you seen such hats go, and how low? Thanks!

I've found that on ebay unless you're willing to pay a real premium, vintage hats in that size range (I'm a 7 3/8) tend to go high for the good ones. The only way to get a bargain is through buy-it-now (I bought a Borsalino for $99 and a Stratoliner for $40 that way) but that requires a lot of looking in and a lot of luck to catch it before anyone else! Otherwise a bad listing can do it, but you really have to search for those and again, its a lot of luck.

I got a good deal at a flea market and others at vintage stores but it requires constant looking. It also depends on the make.

Feraud

Bartender
GClark said:
Prices and trends fluctuate. Do some reading to get an idea of what the current prices are and decide if it fits your budget.
With patience and a good sniping program you can eventually find the hat you like.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
I'm a 7 1/2 long oval and my tastes lean to westerns and Open Road styles. I've paid between $65 and $100 for some nice hats. Keep your eye on the Lounge classifieds. I bought a nice Stetson there after posting a "Want to Buy" ad. I got my best OR by putting a "wanted" ad in the local free classifieds newspaper.

Good luck. Be patient. I've bought a couple of bad hats on Ebay because I didn't ask the right questions and was in a hurry to get a hat.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
GClark said:

eBay has lots of 7 3/8 and it is only a question of waiting and looking.

GClark said:
I'm a 7 5/8 LO but do have some 7 1/2 XLO & LO that I've gently stretched to my mellon. I have bought a few 7 3/8 & 7 1/2 for family & friends & find a good selection in the 7 3/8 area. Vintage hats listed at 7 1/2 can be more in the actual size of 7 3/8 if you go by circumference of the sweatbands.

BTW, you got folks like Jimmy the Lid in the 7 3/8 space & we all know what that can do to prices!!!:D

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Or is it ... a 6 5/8s ? :(

As I opened the box, I had exactly that fear, but it's a 7 5/8 LO.

Because of the LO, it's narrow enough on the sides to stay on fine with just a piece of felt in front, fitting kind of Johnny Depp-like. This experience has taught me that I can probably easily get away with 7 1/2 in a long oval also.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
That Playboy is as good as they get. The vintage, size, condition, color, box, everything is there. This is one of the very few occasions where I can understand a $300+ sale price. Well done to whomever fought and 'won' that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe