Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Thank you. I have bad eyes, so I took a magnifier to the brim of this one, hoping to find some vestige of stitch holes, but nothing - just a nice clean raw brim. I liked the hat so much upon further inspection, I almost ended the auction, but alas, my noggin is still too small.
early playboys had no brim stitching, and I believe it disappeared again in the 50s

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Ignacio is going to work it for you? That's a sweet hat. Fedora 100s are quite rare I think. I wonder if it was modified? If it was, it came out nice!

Awesome buy!

Daniel

Just bought this one. The brim is short, but Ignacio tells me we will gain about one cm. when he blocks it to my size. Anyone interested in the box?
3898a8f006bd5cb4b4f47fb33cfa219b.jpg
f4812de21daa3030ddc6e5e22c922dc8.jpg
6183c0f6cc728e43e59c07c99554fa9f.jpg
1cd18a52b9e5b8647921f911b067b89b.jpg
278ae47d795123337b53e7cc86d847a3.jpg
37b92fe9927583fc555573ce3e08c573.jpg
db6ec867e6eeb719e322c7be2eaf1e36.jpg
3fda712cc1df32fedee5e9e0389c9ba2.jpg
51b7c0a547d77edb2cdedfd49560d86b.jpg
50ac4778cd0bea37dd367ec1109b5030.jpg
0f09465f5be913eb74c81faa627db796.jpg
f73c242e39c284c0c828b82054f825a5.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Ignacio is going to work it for you? That's a sweet hat. Fedora 100s are quite rare I think. I wonder if it was modified? If it was, it came out nice!

Awesome buy!

Daniel
He has reblocked about 12 of my hats to my head shape with his conformer. I have gotten to know him pretty well, because he does it while I wait. He's pretty damn good!

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

Awesome buy!

Daniel
He asks what country you are living in now... You said Peru? I can't remember.

Anubis

Familiar Face
Has anyone else had to deal with the hat police that mill about ebay? A few weeks ago there was colonelwth policing my hat age descriptions. I listened calmly and thanked him. Then, of course, he told me to go to a website that had better hat information than the fedoralounge. Of course...it was his.

Today it was someone named @@@@ who was upset that I was describing my Playboy hat as 'near mint' and not mentioning that the brim might have been trimmed since it doesn't have stitching. I'm scratching my head, as the hat is described at 'beautiful', which it is, not 'near mint', and I don't know this guy from Adam. He might be right that all Playboys had brim stitching - if so, I wasn't aware of it - but why the need to do a brain dump on a stranger over a hat that he has no intention of bidding on? For every ten auctions I run I get visited by a hat policeman. And no offense to you guys, but it always seems to be hats. The other things I sell are much more esoteric and have a much higher likelihood of having a description that could be questioned....but the hats....it's always hats. Are we really that anal and nosey?

Okay, I feel better. The brim of my hat is 2 5/8" and does not appear to have had anything done to it post-factory. I saw where Lefty once had a Playboy with no brim stitching. Is there really someone out there removing the stitching from Playboy brims? Because Lefty's had one and I've had at least two that had no stitching.

I'm the one that messaged you about your hat, and I might bid on it.

However the response you have given me was totally sarcastic, I've only seen 1 person on here post a playboy without a brim stitching.

As far as I've seen way back from 1930 to 1950's they all had a single brim stitching.

In response to your sarcasm I told you it's sad how you could be so closed minded telling me sure they did in your sarcastic tone.

And when I awaken I see 5 messages from you that are 5 paragraphs each.

I still think it's sad how much money you could be pulling in from that hat, yet your going to tell a potential buyer something so sarcastic and narrow minded.

Chances are the hat your selling belonged to the fellow who posted his playboy without stitching.

You go so mad though to send me 5 messages and throw my name in a thread here.

You should be embarrassed and you should remove my name from you rage post.

You shouldn't have even have a problem with me, you gave me a sarcastic answer to a real question when I was planning on bidding on the hat because the price was so low. You gave me a sarcastic answer and you didn't like my response.

Real professional way to deal with people.. I wouldn't buy that hat from you because you'd know my address, you already posted my info here.

Youeve completly came unglued and need to get a grip on things, your most likely lieing about having 2 of these without stitching, you sent me 5 rage messages 4 paragraphs now each to the max amount of words aloud in a message..

Your looking in the middle of the night with a magnifyn glass for stitching holes, if it was brushed and ironed you wouldn't find any.

Then you finally posted my info and made tis rage post. Your completly out of control over this and you should be embarrassed. And you should apologise to me for this.

It's all okay that "you feel better" though, the collateral damage doesn't matter right?

I wanted to maybe buy that hat but you made this ugly telling me you have soo much more experience then I do, yet your checking your hat with a magnifyn glass. Next my post count is going to be a way for you to ,measure yourself up to me.

Remove this sleaze and my name.

Last edited:

Anubis

Familiar Face
Hey splinter I know you and I consider you to have more knowledge in most areas then I do.

However this is supposed to be a earlier playboy when they had a slightly smaller brim then the 40s and 50s and it has the single stitches.

I could see alot of hat repair guys all through the 40s to 70s removing the stitching or cutting the brim if the stitching was damaged.

I could make a cut so clean with a rounding jack it would look original, and for removing stitching a thick brush and a iron would remove any sign of stitch marks.

I could be wrong of course as I told Steve before he came unglued but this hat is supposed to be a first edition playboy and it does have the stitching.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181003-181029.jpg
    Screenshot_20181003-181029.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 751

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The stitching in Playboys has been an on again, off again matter. I have seen several posted here over the past couple of years without brim stitching. IIRC, Anthony, Justin and Alan (Eric, too?) have all posted such hats and none of those appeared at all to have been altered.

There's one constant to hats and their history: just when you think you have it figured out, up pops another specimen to confuse the point. No sense for any of us to get indignant about it.

I'm the one that messaged you about your hat, and I might bid on it.

However the response you have given me was totally sarcastic, I've only seen 1 person on here post a playboy without a brim stitching.

As far as I've seen way back from 1930 to 1950's they all had a single brim stitching.

In response to your sarcasm I told you it's sad how you could be so closed minded telling me sure they did in your sarcastic tone.

And when I awaken I see 5 messages from you that are 5 paragraphs each.

I still think it's sad how much money you could be pulling in from that hat, yet your going to tell a potential buyer something so sarcastic and narrow minded.

Chances are the hat your selling belonged to the fellow who posted his playboy without stitching.

You go so mad though to send me 5 messages and throw my name in a thread here.

You should be embarrassed and you should remove my name from you rage post.

You shouldn't have even have a problem with me, you gave me a sarcastic answer to a real question when I was planning on bidding on the hat because the price was so low. You gave me a sarcastic answer and you didn't like my response.

Real professional way to deal with people.. I wouldn't buy that hat from you because you'd know my address, you already posted my info here.

Youeve completly came unglued and need to get a grip on things, your most likely lieing about having 2 of these without stitching, you sent me 5 rage messages 4 paragraphs now each to the max amount of words aloud in a message..

Your looking in the middle of the night with a magnifyn glass for stitching holes, if it was brushed and ironed you wouldn't find any.

Then you finally posted my info and made tis rage post. Your completly out of control over this and you should be embarrassed. And you should apologise to me for this.

It's all okay that "you feel better" though, the collateral damage doesn't matter right?

I wanted to maybe buy that hat but you made this ugly telling me you have soo much more experience then I do, yet your checking your hat with a magnifyn glass. Next my post count is going to be a way for you to ,measure yourself up to me.

Remove this sleaze and my name.

d7884ac9f19bc52cbc8b0a92aa6f1ded.gif

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Has anyone else had to deal with the hat police that mill about ebay?

Yes.

On Playboys without the decorative brim stitching, there are many examples posted on the Fedora Lounge, though hunting for them is a chore. Here are two... they are of a similar era - somewhere between the late 1930s and the entry of the the U.S. in WWII. I like to call them c.1940. There was one example, perhaps more, of an early Playboy with the brim stitching. The Playboy appears to have been a popular campaign for Stetson - perhaps sold in multiple variations at the same time to capture as large an audience as possible. The gray hat has a 2 1/4" brim. The black hat is 2 1/2. The gray hat has an earlier LOTXXXX number and is older. In my opinion.

2playboys3.jpg
2playboys9.jpg
2playboys7.jpg

Last edited:

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes.

On Playboys without the decorative brim stitching, there are many examples posted on the Fedora Lounge, though hunting for them is a chore. Here are two... they are of a similar era - somewhere between the late 1930s and the entry of the the U.S. in WWII. I like to call them c.1940. There was one example, perhaps more, of a later post-war Playboy without the brim stitch. The Playboy appears to have been a popular campaign for Stetson - perhaps sold in multiple variations at the same time to capture as large an audience as possible. The gray hat has a 2 1/4" brim. The black hat is 2 1/2. The gray hat has an earlier LOTXXXX number and is older. In my opinion.

View attachment 138374 View attachment 138375 View attachment 138376
Thank you for posting the information, Alan. I recall a similar conversation between you and @moontheloon regarding his, I believe, post-war Playboy without the brim stitching.

Beautiful examples here, Alan. Thanks for the pictures as well.

Anubis

Familiar Face
Regardless what the facts are, between the guys sarcastic comment, sending me 5 messages and posting my info on here... all because he could have been wrong are totally out of line.

The way Scotf conducted himself through this to another member here and a potential buyer was wrong and totally out of control.

The only hats I've seen without stitching is in the 30s as you pointed out you have 2 side by side from the 30s with and without stitching.

In the 30s the brim on the playboy was slightly more narrow, the brim on his hat is large and I have yet to see a large one without stitching.

Wether it was altered or not makes no difference here, this is about my personal info being dropped on here because "he got mad"

I don't know why he got so angry he got sarcastic and when I pointed out his sarcasm is closed and narrow minded he started here with this dropped my name, sent me 5 messages..

The fact he got so angry was uncalled for, when I told him that it should have a stitched brim he should have did his research without sending me the sarcastic go screw myself comment before hand.

If he conducted himself without that or dropping my info here and said hey look it looks like some didn't have stitching he could have enlightened me enough to do my own research from there.

I wasn't the eBay police, I wasn't criticising your listing, I wanted to buy the hat and had a legitment question.

From your sarcastic comment I went a step further as a potential buyer to tell you how I felt about your sarcastic answer and that it seemed wrong to sell something like that and be so closed minded and I stand by that. Not because of the stitching but because of your actions Scotf.

I don't want to keep asking you to remove my personal info from your post you also put someone else's account in there, because of your unnecessary and unacceptable blind rage your crossing lines that shouldn't be crossed.

Tukwila, Alan, Justin - thanks for the replies and the information you provided on Playboys. I never gave them that much thought, so this has been a good learning experience. That black one is incredible.

That's all this should have been was a learning experience, but you had to come unglued to get to this step, all your other actions, anger, rage, sarcasm spam messages and dropping my personal info here shouldn't have even come up.

I'm glad you feel better and go back to normal after your melt down, but what about the collateral damage you left in your wake?

Last edited:
Regardless what the facts are, between the guys sarcastic comment, sending me 5 messages and posting my info on here... all because he could have been wrong are totally out of line...

My suggestion is to let this rest. You have been heard. This is a big place. You will connect with some and not with others. What happens on eBay stays on eBay. I'm sure the bartenders will help you further.

The only hats I've seen without stitching is in the 30s as you pointed out you have 2 side by side from the 30s with and without stitching.

The two hats I posted are both without brim stitching. To see an example of an early hat with the brim adornment, read here.

We see a small handful of survivors from an earlier universe of hats. It is tempting to believe we understand all from this tiny sampling. But for every theory, a countering example will appear on eBay. My .02.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe