Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
OK, now it gets weird. The seller originally said to mail back the hat, and he'd issue a refund. I didn't think I should have to pay out of my pocket to return an item with undisclosed damage, especially when I had asked specifically about it. So, I called ebay customer service to find out about policies on that sort of thing. The lady I spoke to told me it was the seller's responsibility to cover return shipping in this case. I asked how to get a prepaid return tag, she said it was best to open a return claim, so I did. When I told the seller that I had done so and why, he was upset told me he would refuse the return now, and seemed to not want to talk further. I can't help U now was how he put it.
So, now I have to wait till Thursday to see if he relents and sends a prepaid shipping tag, or else I have to call ebay and have them step in.
What a load of crap this turned into.

I'll get into the opinion poll on stretchers , I have two "Hat Jacks" I bought off eBay $14.49 Free Shipping , and 3 Millinery Made-Rite Stretchers . To me (IMHO) the Millinery Stretchers are 1000X Better . I think the Hat Jacks I have , being LO , need some narrowing by removing some wood on the sides . Regular Oval they'd work great I think .
In what way are the Made-Rite stretchers better? I see one on Ebay that I may pick-up, the price is right. But I can't see how they work any better than the Hat Jack. The design, dimensions and mechanics of the thing look to be pretty damn close.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
In what way are the Made-Rite stretchers better? I see one on Ebay that I may pick-up, the price is right. But I can't see how they work any better than the Hat Jack. The design, dimensions and mechanics of the thing look to be pretty damn close.

I've got 2 Medium Hat Jacks , and 2 6 3/4 Made-Rite , and 1 6 7/8 Made-Rite . The Hat Jacks stretch the width , as well as the length on my 7 3/8 LO , but the Made-Rites do better stretching length , and not messing the width up more . They are deeper , but there's bumps on one side that the Made-Rite rests on , plus the Made-Rite has a / slope to the edge and unless you get it all the way in the Hat it lessens the chance of bulging the felt . The Hat Jacks are okay , and much cheaper , if need be you could shave off some wood from the sides and it might not widen the Hat . Jack Hats fit right inside and I sit the Hat on a Book to keep the Brim from touching , but you could get door stops and screw in the Hat Jack to get it up , no problem . (Or I could) I still use them , more as retainers . But you can't have too many stretchers if you've got a bunch of older Hats , or some that need a push . I like the 6 3/4 Best for my LO head .

The Made-Rite has the size of the stretch you're at on the guides on the sides in US size and inches . I can't remember if cm is on there . ... no cm , I checked . Inches on one side , size on the other . I have a supplier saved that sells professional Millinery Stretchers , 2 Way , and 4 Way . I'll see if I can link it ... https://www.wardrobesupplies.com/products/wooden-4-way-hat-stretcher-deluxe-6-to-7 That's what they sell for Brand New ... here's the 2 way ... https://www.wardrobesupplies.com/products/wooden-hat-stretcher

Last edited:
I've got 2 Medium Hat Jacks , and 2 6 3/4 Made-Rite , and 1 6 7/8 Made-Rite . The Hat Jacks stretch the width , as well as the length on my 7 3/8 LO , but the Made-Rites do better stretching length , and not messing the width up more . They are deeper , but there's bumps on one side that the Made-Rite rests on , plus the Made-Rite has a / slope to the edge and unless you get it all the way in the Hat it lessens the chance of bulging the felt . The Hat Jacks are okay , and much cheaper , if need be you could shave off some wood from the sides and it might not widen the Hat . Jack Hats fit right inside and I sit the Hat on a Book to keep the Brim from touching , but you could get door stops and screw in the Hat Jack to get it up , no problem . (Or I could) I still use them , more as retainers . But you can't have too many stretchers if you've got a bunch of older Hats , or some that need a push . I like the 6 3/4 Best for my LO head .

The Made-Rite has the size of the stretch you're at on the guides on the sides in US size and inches . I can't remember if cm is on there . ... no cm , I checked . Inches on one side , size on the other . I have a supplier saved that sells professional Millinery Stretchers , 2 Way , and 4 Way . I'll see if I can link it ... https://www.wardrobesupplies.com/products/wooden-4-way-hat-stretcher-deluxe-6-to-7 That's what they sell for Brand New ... here's the 2 way ... https://www.wardrobesupplies.com/products/wooden-hat-stretcher

+1 good information. I need to trim my hat jack down to match my egg shaped head.

Thank you, I think I will pick one up. As you say, You can't have too many stretchers. I use my two as band blocks most of the time for my vintage hats that tend to revert to the smaller size without the block.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, I think I will pick one up. As you say, You can't have too many stretchers. I use my two as band blocks most of the time for my vintage hats that tend to revert to the smaller size without the block.

You'll like it , I'm sure . Its my Favorite . Mine came off Ebay , and were like Brand New , think I paid $28 , $33 , and $45 with shipping .

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Some love for this long hair The Royal Stetson in a large size.

Nice hat, probably '30s?

http://r.ebay.com/2IbbsJ

3c7513e68de7783a0b0387ed15148d62.jpg

Cheers!
David

Some love for this long hair The Royal Stetson in a large size.

Nice hat, probably '30s?

http://r.ebay.com/2IbbsJ

3c7513e68de7783a0b0387ed15148d62.jpg

Cheers!
David
Did any of us get this heathered beauty?? I was not quick enough on the last minute (literally) bidding frenzy.....somtimes it just really no fun being a larger size trying to score hats like this....:(

CHEERS,
M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe