Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

fedoracentric

Banned
How bout

Got flaws.....but, Ain't pointing them out.... [huh]

Or, "got flaws but I'd rather not point them it because it might make fewer people want to bid"?

Then again, there's the other sort of idiot who doesn't even KNOW that 1,000 moth divots is bad, that a soiled liner isn't "like new," that busted sweatband stitches might be a bit undesirable, that no listing of the size is a problem, or that no detailed photos of the INSIDE of the hat is a bad thing for an auction. I mean... a hat is just a hat.... right?

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I do know that it was a modern hat but those are the ones I can afford if they don't go sky high. Vintage go too high for me :( and I don't want to compromise my road trip through the US.
Rare or not, it's the first one I saw in brown.

When are you coming to the States, Joao?
A

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Just a general, all-around gripe.

Seems like no matter what I'm currently hunting, THAT is the item which either can't be found or is the type of item which is always selling at a premium price.

Finally scored a deal on a nice, black Stetson Twenty. Now I'm on the hunt for similar hats in grey and tan, with no particular maker or finish/grade in mind. Just hats with 1.75 - 2" brims that aren't completely ragged. Plenty of stingy-brims out there at affordable prices, but anything with a brim over 1.5" is selling for more than I'm currently willing to pay.

I admit that the Stetson was a fluke and a bargain, and I'm not expecting to see a deal like that again. Simply affordable would be nice right now.

/gripe

buler

I'll Lock Up
You could always put a wanted ad in the classified. I have lots of hats I need to sell and I'm sure others have selling stock. Just list the color, dimensions, size and trim details you are looking for and someone may have one.

B

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Buler -- "I have lots of hats I need to sell"

Boy I hate to hear that, I would really like to pay my card down. I am going to have to figure out how to block your posts or sell off some of the fly rods I don't use.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
On the Royal stetson i got a few weeks back I look at it a few times and was not happy to not see the whole inside. the hat looked a bit off but nice lines once cleaned up i thought $45 on buy now wasn't bad(got $23 off that due to ebay credit) but still I already have one that was in need of the liner needing to be re-attached didn't want that again .

I sent a message for pics of the inside they sent them all was good the sweet band is soft a small amount if what look like cracking but it just some were to the dye but the sweatband is good. It Need a good cleaning and blocking still a great hat..
The picture showed the hat with the sweat band up and down the stitching was in great shape. One I got the hat I see it was re-shaped on the top of the crown but still if I can get an ideal of what it was or even it out still a great hat.. I won another stetson this last weekend..$16.05 plus $7 for shipping .. nice low price fore my hat .. I didn't get more pictures as i do most of the time but this one is impulse buy lol .
I shop on size and price, but not in that order. I make money but I not made of it. none of us are.
This is turning into new a hobby my wife is saying.. She said I need to step back a bit and look at what i am doing this for.. She know i like to buy low sell high on thing ,but I wasn't in this with the hats. this was for the love of a classic hat a new look to my life and age. Respect to the classic fedora and some made with quality in mind not a fast buck.

I look over all the has I get for ding and bits ..
The one gray stetson I got has a good bit from the worm on the top but unless you looking for it you don't see it ..
I think it adds character to a hat showing it has been about.
I just got back two hats from the show one to get it clean and sized a bit and the other to stiffing up as it was just too loose and not in shape that was good. Now the liner that was glued not stitched in. but that can wait . for both hats it cost me $45.
Once you see the before and after of the Selentino you see the guy did great job getting it back to color and shape.
I was like amazed that the guy was able to make it look like near new. they don't do Fedoras as it small town Western shop but they do the basic cleaning and shaping and have large amount of hats and high end ones Western Stetson X to XXXXX hats and talking with the owner he knew his hats and did great job with the Selentino.

This said I do look at Every ha off ebay with cost of work after it comes in. It's not just what the cost the seller wants me to pay it is the over all cost. i have to look at all that is going into the bid . Look at a dusty wreck of a hat is not on the list for Buy.
Small dings that can be work out or not bad but they do count.
I think we all have rules we shop by and they work for us. If some gets into hats they need to learn and take time.
This is something I done with many of my hobbies. I buy and sell but i have thing i buy with the intent to keep like my hats.
I did buy one that was a large hat a Dorfman Pacific and i did that with out checking my size and the listed size.. It's nice hat just not my size.. It was CHEAP $7.99 +shipping so it was under $20. that was the only hat so fat that was a bad buy I feel due to size and type as it is also 100% wool black wool..
Ebay is and will have it listing with it wording being as it is. "Vintage or Rare or classic" it boils down to if the hat look worth it to your eyes.
We all know what WE want it just matter of finding it and bagging it at the right price..

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
I'm going to have to retract my earlier gripe. First, though, I want to thank buler for taking some time to check his inventory for any items which might interest me. The ladies and gents on this forum are a step above most of the others out there.

I have a few friends who know my hobbies and preferences, and one of them happened across an estate sale. Among the items for sale were two hats, both in my size. One was a tan Champ and the other was a grey Stetson. I'm told they're in used but good condition, with no obvious damage. He's purchased them for me and will be shipping them by this weekend. Total for both plus shipping is going to run me a bit under $100.

Looking forward to receiving a package at the office early next week. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82