Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
005_zpsf1be3469.jpg

would dearly love to find another--especially for the twelve bucks I paid for it

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
That sure is beautiful - and it seems very soft :)

I have planned to de-stiffen mine with a lot of alcohol and then re-block it. If it was softer, it would be a real gem.

John Galt

Vendor
That sure is beautiful - and it seems very soft :)

I have planned to de-stiffen mine with a lot of alcohol and then re-block it. If it was softer, it would be a real gem.

A cautionary tale:

Tried this as an afterthought with a finished Stetson 100 conversion recently (sorry Joao ;-), and melted the acetate (apparently) in the dark brown 1952 ribbon & bow I'd just sewn on. Had to strip all of the trim including new sweatband, flush liberally with alcohol to wash the color out of the light colored hat, scrub & wash, re-block, flange & crease, new sweat, everything.

Start over from scratch. Do not pass GO.

The ribbon looked burned & crispy.

Lesson: Strip the hatband first, before applying alcohol. Sounds like that's what you plan to do - smart ;-)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
What are those? I only see squares...

Looks really nice. What was it before? a OR?

Tried this as an afterthought with a finished Stetson 100 conversion recently (sorry Joao ;-)
It's not your fault John, it's the owner's fault. You only did what he wanted.
I will never get one as the rate they are converted is bigger than the growing of my bank account.

John Galt

Vendor
What are those? I only see squares....

Teary-eyed smiley,

winking smiley...

:)

It's not your fault John, it's the owner's fault. You only did what he wanted.

It came out well, and I don't blame anyone for wanting to make the conversion, but I understand your frustration and sympathize.

I will never get one as the rate they are converted is bigger than the growing of my bank account.

Well, you never know. I'm not good at hat math - too much like tootsie pop math. How many a Resistol Stagecoaches = one Stetson 100?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Well, you never know. I'm not good at hat math - too much like tootsie pop math. How many a Resistol Stagecoaches = one Stetson 100?
Probably 8-10 Stagecoaches (it all depends on how much you get those but you can get them for cheap like $20-$30 in really good condition).
Problem is they do not show up on ebay (they are mostly fedoras or ORs and I don't want one of those) as Stagecoaches nor the color range is... wait color range on Stetson 100's? Is there other color than silverbelly(?) on the Stetson 100?
I have to think on import taxes. A $20 hat does not pay import taxes, a $300 hat there is no way to escape (add more $100 for that tax).
If I lived in the US, I probably already had one or two 100s, they are easier to find there than here.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Joao, the Box was labeled "the cattleman" and it had a cattleman crease with a 2 1/2 brim and did not resemble a open road at all.
010_zpsded7e53d.jpg

fedoracentric

Banned
Stetson 100s in the western style are not very common as far as i can tell. Over the last few years i think I've only seen three 100s in a western style instead of the Open Road style. All three were smaller sizes, if I remember. None of them are mine as I have no interest in the western version.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao, the Box was labeled "the cattleman" and it had a cattleman crease with a 2 1/2 brim and did not resemble a open road at all.
I have no interest in hats with such a small brim. If it had less than 3.5" brim before conversion I don't really care as most I have seen have 3" brim or less.

Stetson 100s in the western style are not very common as far as i can tell. Over the last few years i think I've only seen three 100s in a western style instead of the Open Road style. All three were smaller sizes, if I remember. None of them are mine as I have no interest in the western version.
I have... and only 3... probably all converted...
:(

fedoracentric

Banned
WOW, wow, wow. Josh made some good money on his auction today in a heated bidding war.

VTG EARLY 1900's STETSON Select Quality Fur Felt Fedora Longhair MELUSINE SZ 7

Topped in at over $500 big ones!! And at a small size 7, too.Way over my head price wise.

I have to say, if I had $$ to burn I'd have thrown even more at that one. It is a beautiful example of an early 30s Stetson long-hair.

The ribbon on it is really cool, too.

$508 is a lot of cash. But I have to say I think it was worth it.

Good on ya, Josh!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281392101088?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

letitbe

New in Town
That is one beautiful hat and is indeed a lot of money! Fedoracentric you mention a possible date as being 1930's and the seller calls it pre WWl in his description...does anyone have any further insight to its age?

Thanks

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
That is one beautiful hat and is indeed a lot of money! Fedoracentric you mention a possible date as being 1930's and the seller calls it pre WWl in his description...does anyone have any further insight to its age?

Thanks

FedoraC was mistaken, or typo'd. Happens to the best of us from time to time. The hat is as Josh dated, pre-WWI. There are a few threads dedicated to older Stetsons, and other manufactures as well. Here is one.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?49267-Stetson-Exposition-Medals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe