Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

facade

A-List Customer
True tale. The Whippet was a $10 hat back in the day. It was Stetson's lower quality price point. In fact, all the "named" hats in the 40s were the lower end hats (except, I think, for the Flagship which was usually a De Luxe, the next step up). Anyway, I think what stores did was get men in for the $10 model named hat (Bantam, Whippet, Stratoliner, etc.) and then try to upsell them to the more expensive ones if they could. The higher price points rarely had model names--at least by the 40s, anyway. The more expensive ones were De Luxe or Imperials, or 25s, 35s, and 100s, etc.

Anyway, the point is everyone goes crazy for the Whippet and some will pay over $300 for a vintage one and here it was Stetson's cheaper hat back in the day. Meanwhile, no one wants to bid on the De Luxes or the Imperials, at least not at the high dollars they'll lay out for a Whippet.

It all gets back to my note that the market sets the rules. Even though the Whippet was a hat of lesser quality back in the old days, everyone wants one now so the prices go up accordingly.

The hats with fancy names are the entry level hats. Why folk are obsessed with them eludes me. But why folk are obsessed with Stetson fedoras in general makes no sense to me. There is no discernible quality difference between vintage hats from the major makers. And no one can tell what brand you are wearing unless you take off your hat and show them the sweatband/liner. Passing on a better quality vintage hat or overpaying for a new hat, because a sweatband says Stetson, makes no sense to me. I understand buying an iconic brand name for the coolness factor, but I just don't see the value when it comes to hats. Outside of a few pics on the FL, who's going to be impressed?

Though I must admit I am guilty of similar unexplainable behavior. I don't overpay for brand names but I will pay handsomely for a 40 or a 100. While these are great hats, I really get nothing more out of them then I would any other well-made vintage hat.

So I guess it comes down to a bunch of middle-aged dudes with money to burn, "Mostly saying, hooray for our side."

fedoracentric

Banned
So I guess it comes down to a bunch of middle-aged dudes with money to burn, "Mostly saying, hooray for our side."
When you get right down to it.... that is the same with every collectible there is.

When I take a Stetson 100 and show it to someone who knows nothing about hats they say... Oh, a hat.

I see it and go A STETSON 100 Oh my GAWD!

Let's face it, the number of people who are impressed with a truly high quality vintage hat can fit in a city bus.

Ultimately, our obsession is practically meaningless when all is said and done and is a lonely love shared by almost no one.

But this is the fact with all collectibles. Who really cares if Michael Jordan signed that shirt? Who really cares if that baseball was owned by Babe Ruth? Where will it really get us if we have a gun used by Julias Caesar's gardener's uncle?

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
The hats with fancy names are the entry level hats. Why folk are obsessed with them eludes me.

For me, certain models are just iconic. The 1960's Ford Mustang was an "entry level" car that originally sold for less than many arguably better made Ford cars, but it is an iconic car despite the comparatively low price tag and corresponding quality. The Stratoliner and Whippets are like this, I think. Also, some hats, like an early Whippet I once had (in the wrong size and with a cut down brim) have such quality felt that "entry level" doesn't really compute.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
For me, certain models are just iconic. The 1960's Ford Mustang was an "entry level" car that originally sold for less than many arguably better made Ford cars, but it is an iconic car despite the comparatively low price tag and corresponding quality. The Stratoliner and Whippets are like this, I think. Also, some hats, like an early Whippet I once had (in the wrong size and with a cut down brim) have such quality felt that "entry level" doesn't really compute.

I think it's wrong comparing cars to hats.

facade

A-List Customer
Maybe so, but the point is spot-on ... IMHO ;)

Yes and no. A Ford Mustang is an iconic vehicle. And I can understand personal tastes or brand loyalty leading to a preference over a similar car such as a Camarro or Firebird. But even in Mustangs the upgraded (302, 429, Shelby) or rarer (convertible) models sell for much more the base sedan. Not so with Whippets, Stratoliner etc., the base model sells for much more than the upgraded version.

John Galt

Vendor
Joao, maybe wheels on your next hat?

Facade, it's because the base models are iconic. :)

The few Flagships I have seen offered have seemed to command a pretty high price though.

A side note: The Stetson 100's I have handled - all admittedly cowboy hats - have had a dense cardboard type finish that I don't particularly like. The Churchill 100 (Vicuña) I sold was very similar, although a little smoother to the touch. I have a Resistol 100 that has a stiffish western brim, but is made of a more traditional type of felt that has no cardboard quality, and a Beaver/Langenberg 100 % beaver fur dress hat that has amazingly soft & pliable felt and can be easily dry shaped. I prefer the softer 100's, but have yet to handle a Stetson 100 dress hat - is there such a creature?

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
Here is a perfect example of what we were talking about. This is 1950s era Stetson Sovereign in an olive green in a big, big size of 7-1/2. This was a higher end hat when it was sold originally.

Now if this was a Whippet in green and in a big size it would have sold for $350 or more. But here this one, even though it was one of the company's higher quality hats, much higher than a Whippet, it only went for $156.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201126799893

facade

A-List Customer

The few Flagships I have seen offered have seemed to command a pretty high price though.

A side note: The Stetson 100's I have handled - all admittedly cowboy hats - have had a dense cardboard type finish that I don't particularly like. The Churchill 100 (Vicuña) I sold was very similar, although a little smoother to the touch. I have a Resistol 100 that has a stiffish western brim, but is made of a more traditional type of felt that has no cardboard quality, and a Beaver/Langenberg 100 % beaver fur dress hat that has amazingly soft & pliable felt and can be easily dry shaped. I prefer the softer 100's, but have yet to handle a Stetson 100 dress hat - is there such a creature?

Most Stetson 100s seem to be the Open Road style. I have one of those. The felt is thin dense beaver and is smooth but stiff. I also have a Stetson 100 with a 2" brim 60's style. The felt on that one is like clay. So yes there are options.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer

I also have a Beaver/Langenberg 100 . Though it was originally a cattleman style Northwest converted it to a fedora. The felt is amazing--paper thin and you can almost "wish" it into a shape. I can't understand why the western style got the lions share of that felt.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Dan : Is that a "BeaverBrand/Langenberg 100" or "BeaverBrand/Langenberg 100% Beaver"? I have a western fedora of the latter, but that is not the same as a "100" hat. That was originally $100 - mine was probably not :)

John Galt

Vendor
BeaverBrand/Langenberg 100% Beaver

Mine is this type, but is a stingy navy blue fedora, not a conversion. "Wish it into shape" is quite accurate. It's much like the Dobbs Double Life in its amazing ability to take on any shape in an instant with no steam. I'll edit with a photo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe