Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

fedoracentric

Banned
I'm sure you're right. I'll just never understand the fascination with Whippets.

Brad

Oh, I get it. I mean, I understand that it wasn't Stetson's top of the line hat, sure. But it is a classic style, really. It just looks like a "fedora" in every classic sense.

Still, I have noticed that prices are not reaching the stratosphere like they were. I saw a 7-1/8 Whippet go for $130 last week. There was a time when that price would have been at $200 easy. Heck, for a while there even a 6-7/8 was going for $150. Now they rarely get much over $100.

But that box. I think I've only seen three of them in the last 5 years. And that one I listed above was the only one I've seen on ebay ever.

Definitely. This is my Whippet! :)

13175554344_9cd76ce743_b.jpg

fedoracentric

Banned
Speaking in generalities, my favorite hat era was late 30s and early 40s. Both for style and quality. Previous to that the brims were too short for me on average. I like brims between 2-1/2 and 2-7/8 and it was more common to have shorter brims (except for westerns) before the late 30s. But even by the late 30s/40s sweatband leathers started to lose their fancier qualities from previous generations so that bit of quality had declined.

What is your guess (others welcome) on brim width of the hat I posted above? Also the open crown height? It's a German made hat from the mid to late 1920s. The style (center crease + flange) could have been considered a Fedora at that time period (a term not used in Europe).

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
I agree, that hat in the US in the 20s would have been considered a fedora. I look bad, bad, bad in a Homburg curled brim, though. I do have an old Homburg with a 2-1/2 inch brim that is pretty old, so I know they made some with larger brims. It still looks goofy on me. But as I said, generally the style for men was 2-3/8 and smaller in the 20s and before and that brim size isn't my cup of tea. (Of course, if I lived then, that is what I'd wear because everyone else did, too! LOL)

I love the bluish-gray felt on that Hommie, though. Very nice.

The brim width is 2 3/4 inches and the open crown height is 6 inches. This hat is very soft so it doesn't wear like a Homburg (it wouldn't be considered a Homburg in America, in Germany it would be called a Fashion Hat) from the time period. It swoops down a bit in the front (brim up). You could easily snap the brim (some amazing swoop) but it wouldn't have been worn that way. Brim widths and crown heights varied.

Last edited:
Thanks! I assume you mean 2 3/4 inches. :) The brim width is hidden by the amount of flange. Also the hat is light weight even though the felt is fairly thick.

Sorry for the thread drift!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe