Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Landman

One Too Many
Most with that style size tag that I've seen have the lacing...older ones of course do not....

I agree. To me, it looks like a 50's sweatband with a 60's size tag.

I put a low bid on it mainly just for the case but was outbid. If the mold cleaned up that would have been great too but I wasn't counting on it. It looks like it has penetrated the felt pretty deep. I still think somebody made a decent deal on it though.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
So my biggest gripe, which I'm sure others have posted here all ready (but I'm not going through 1001 pages of gripes);

WHY DON'T SELLERS PUT THE SIZE OF THE HAT IN THE DAMNED AUCTION?! Even if the tag has fallen off, an inner circumference would be better than "The opening is 6 1/2, by 8 inches" or "The circumference of the brim is 47 inches" etc., etc., etc. I see so many auctions with the opening dimensions rather than an actual circumference it makes me want to scream.

Do people not realize that fitted hat sizes are incredibly delicate, and a circumference difference of just 1/4 inch can mean it just will not fit?

End of gripe.

-Max

Ebay is an online garage sale - most sellers can't be bothered becoming an expert on everything they scoop up from the trash and resell.

That said, why do you prefer the circumference? The opening dimensions will tell you U.S. size (add L+W and divide by 2) and if the form is wide oval, long oval or regular oval, which circumference alone (if it is measured accurately- often it is not) won't. You can convert the opening dimensions to a linear perimeter easily enough using one of the ellipse calculators available on the web.

just my .02...

I usually ask for inside front to back and side to side measurements vs. circumference. Buying vintage hats on eBay can be hit or miss (the trick is trying to reduce the misses). In most cases you are going to have to do some tweaking to get the hat to fit to your liking.

g.durand

One Too Many
Asking for measurements from a seller still exposes you to the risk that they can't properly read a tape measure. I've had it happen more than once.

And while we're griping, there is a current Ebay listing where the seller writes "I believe it is 7 3/8", without any other supporting evidence.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Picard, you wouldn't believe how many times I have to email the seller to get the circumference. I hate to ask any questions during an auction because sometimes the seller chooses to post the question at the bottom of the auction, since they can't modify an auction that has bids. I always have a feeling that when other bidders see questions being asked that it generates more interest and leads to more competition since people tend to want something more if they think it is in demand. Also, some bidders may choose to bypass an auction if they don't see a size rather than ask the seller for it. However once the seller posts the size in the questions box, you have now the competition to the size info and now you have more competition.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Picard, you wouldn't believe how many times I have to email the seller to get the circumference. I hate to ask any questions during an auction because sometimes the seller chooses to post the question at the bottom of the auction, since they can't modify an auction that has bids. I always have a feeling that when other bidders see questions being asked that it generates more interest and leads to more competition since people tend to want something more if they think it is in demand. Also, some bidders may choose to bypass an auction if they don't see a size rather than ask the seller for it. However once the seller posts the size in the questions box, you have now the competition to the size info and now you have more competition.

Agreed - questions do tend to up the interest. If it's very cheap then I'll just bid and hope for the best - my wife has two nice fedoras that turned out to be too small for me and I passed on one to another member.

Myself, I've never purchased a hat that didn't work out. Cross my heart.

babycav1.jpg

fedoracentric

Banned
WHY DON'T SELLERS PUT THE SIZE OF THE HAT IN THE DAMNED AUCTION?!

-Max

I'll tell you why. Because hats have been out of style so long that most people no longer understand that hats have sizes so they see a hat and they see a hat, not a small hat, or a medium hat ,or a large hat, not a size 7 hat, not a size 7-3/8 hat. They just see a hat and have not the first clue that it may not fit just anyone that wants to buy it.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Agreed - questions do tend to up the interest. If it's very cheap then I'll just bid and hope for the best - my wife has two nice fedoras that turned out to be too small for me and I passed on one to another member.

Yes, I do the same thing. I take a chance and bid..it seems to always fit. But then again, women's hats are usually measured by the circumference and I have an average sized head I think.

Myself, I've never purchased a hat that didn't work out. Cross my heart.

babycav1.jpg

I can be slow sometimes..is this sarcasm in that you really did get a hat that didn't fit? LOL.

I'll tell you why. Because hats have been out of style so long that most people no longer understand that hats have sizes so they see a hat and they see a hat, not a small hat, or a medium hat ,or a large hat, not a size 7 hat, not a size 7-3/8 hat. They just see a hat and have not the first clue that it may not fit just anyone that wants to buy it.

Good point, never looked at it this way.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One problem is figuring out whether a seller is deliberately obfuscating or genuinely ignorant. As someone with a head on the larger side, I frequently come across hats that are 'upsized' in the listing...

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
One problem is figuring out whether a seller is deliberately obfuscating or genuinely ignorant. As someone with a head on the larger side, I frequently come across hats that are 'upsized' in the listing...

No kidding, it just happened to me this week. An advertised "7 1/2" beautiful vintage Bowler on eBay was in fact a 7 1/8, the tag was tucked on the inside of the sweatband. Best of all, when I brought this to the attention of the seller he said he would refund my purchase price minus shipping, and I would have to pay for return shipping as well. I told him politely that's no way to do business. I found a good home for it the next day fortunately, but I would have really liked it to have been a 7 1/2 as advertised, as it was a pristine vintage Bowler.

-Max

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82