Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Handed even further to Wiser Hatter, as his link led me right to a hat that I have just purchased!

I'll have to recrease it, of course, because it looks ridiculous as a fedora crown, but it's the color and style I was looking for, otherwise, at basically just the right price!

Nice catch Captain, I saw that listing however just a little big for me. Any idea to the circa date of that stetson?
Enjoy
CCJ

Something whacky about the sizing on that one. 7 3/4 does not equal 23 1/4 inches.

Circumference is easy to measure wrong... in this case, perhaps the seller started measuring at 1. The figure is an inch off. The L, W measurements of the head opening do match up to a 7 3/4 and the hat is marked as such.

Now maybe some Stetson people could help but why would a Whippet come in a Flagship box.?

The seller doesn't suggest that the hat is original to the box. Many if not most hats sold with boxes are not related.

Nice catch Captain, I saw that listing however just a little big for me. Any idea to the circa date of that stetson?
CCJ

circa mid to late 1950s.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I too would love a Whippet, but don't want to pay the suddenly inflated prices we're seeing now. Last year I bought a Royal Stetson from the '50s, dark brown, with all the same details as a Whippet (wide ribbon, bound brim, etc.) except it didn't say "Whippet" on the liner, "merely" Royal Stetson on the brown sweatband. It's my go-to hat and not a consolation prize at all. Keep an eye out for one of those.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
I recently picked up two hats from ebay. The first is a Beaver Brand silver belly OR style. Not pristine, but definitely clean. I wonder if it was sold as a result of the recent closure. It has a slight dirt mark at the crown pinch from putting it on and off. Modern rabbit fur. Though this is a 7 1/4 it fits like a 7 3/8, so I'm going to size it down, block it a little higher, replace the ribbon w/ a 1.75" black ribbon, and bind the brim with a wider gold / tan ribbon binding. Am I going to get berated for all of these changes?? :tsk:

D7E1C505.jpg

The next is a really nice tall-crowned black Dobbs TWENTY. It has a healthy 2 1/2" brim. My first black fedora. I never desired a black hat; seemed like it was just too plain. Couldn't resist a TWENTY, though. Just sold my Resistol Stagecoach to LoveMyHats2, so that is helping me pay for it. Strangely enough, I was the only bidder for the Dobbs auction. It looks like it was in terrific shape...

FAB45A9F.jpg

:cool:

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I too would love a Whippet, but don't want to pay the suddenly inflated prices we're seeing now. Last year I bought a Royal Stetson from the '50s, dark brown, with all the same details as a Whippet (wide ribbon, bound brim, etc.) except it didn't say "Whippet" on the liner, "merely" Royal Stetson on the brown sweatband. It's my go-to hat and not a consolation prize at all. Keep an eye out for one of those.

No Kidding, this one just sold for over $600. Amazing!!! I know beauty and value are all relative, but seriously the Whippets were $10.00 hats. There's nothing special about the felt or construction at all. The Stetson 100s don't even bring that much and their felt really is amazing. There is going to be some serious buyers remorse on this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Roy...EolHStwrXV760EkmT9iHVMU=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

fedoralover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe