Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

randooch

I'll Lock Up
BlindeMan said:
You could grow a little moustache, go to California and fight the tyrrany and injustice of Captain Monastario and his hapless toadie Sgt. Miguel Demetrio Lopez Velasquez Garcia.
amzorrocom2.jpg
Ahhhh, so YOU'RE the one! (I was the other bidder. :( ) Congrats, and let's see how it looks on!

randooch

I'll Lock Up

carter

I'll Lock Up
randooch said:
Carter, just checked out that listing. How is it that a 5 1/2 translates to 23" I.C.? European sizing? Nice score.
It doesn't. Once I remove the ribbon, I can stretch it over a block or I may ask JP to do it for me.

tracyam

One of the Regulars
Hanna & Sons

Well this one turned out to be a dud. Should fit perfectly: 59 7 1/4. But it has shrunk terribly over the years. Anyone have any pointers, warnings, anecdotes, or advice for stretching out wool? Is it even possible. It fits snugly but I'm more interested in knowing if I can stretch the panels to make it full again. Also, what is the difference between Hanna hats and Hanna & Sons?
P1250401-1.jpg

tracyam

One of the Regulars
My 1 cent hat!!

turned out a lot better than I thought it would. The sweatband is definitely in bad shape but the rest of it isn't really too bad. I am pretty sure a professional cleaning, shaping, and a new hatband like the one on there now will really turn this into a great hat...at least for me. There is a musty smell I should get rid of. I have pinpointed whether it is the felt or the sweatband yet.

Can anyone recommend a place to send it for cleaning, blocking, and repair? I know Optimo does it and looking at their website it looks like it will be $80+. Does Art Fawcett still do this work? I read in an old thread that he gave a discount to FL members. Any other places you guys can recommend would definitely be appreciated.
P1250416.jpg

P1250415.jpg

P1250413.jpg

P1250410.jpg

I did a quick cleaning and steaming just to see what I could get out of it and I am pretty happy with the results. Ha! I don't care what it looks like. I'm wearing it the rest of day!
P1250422.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
flamboyant ribbons seem to be the style this month.
220724605_tp.jpg
220724648_tp.jpg

220724689_tp.jpg
220724677_tp.jpg

That one would be mine. :D I've not been bidding on hats very often of late, and the times I have I've routinely been the second-highest bidder. I was a bit surprised to have won this one.

I also won a TWA airplane pin.

218069369_tp.jpg

It's a bit blurry but I thought it looked a bit like the pin that's often under discussion as being the type that came on Stratoliners, and I don't have one on any of my Strats. (A Stratoliner box in good condition was one of the items I was second-highest bidder on recently...:eusa_doh: )

Cheers,
Tom

RBH

Bartender
Tango Yankee said:
I also won a TWA airplane pin.

218069369_tp.jpg

It's a bit blurry but I thought it looked a bit like the pin that's often under discussion as being the type that came on Stratoliners, and I don't have one on any of my Strats. (A Stratoliner box in good condition was one of the items I was second-highest bidder on recently...:eusa_doh: )

Cheers,
Tom
Tom, that pin will be perfect on a Stratoliner. Be sure to post it when it gets to you!

citRon

A-List Customer
citRon said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=330301078191

another brand -Churchill- there isn't much info on. Stingy brim light grey, though, which fits the bill.

Just got this one in today. :eusa_clap looks brand new, Cavanaugh edge, tripple pleat on the bow knot and one of the softest, densest felt I've, uh, felt!
The only sign of previous ownership is the handwritten name under the sweat 'Milan Trivuncich'.
There's a tag that reads 1- 450 J 11468, and the sweat has Larrimor's, Pittsburgh, PA Does this help to date it?
A quick Googling shows Larrimors is still in business, and as fasr as the owner:

Name: Milan Trivuncich
Birth Date: 16 September 1911
Death Date: 22 May 1993
Issuing State: Pennsylvania
Residence at Death: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,Pennsylvania 15205

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
Stingy Barbisio Won!

Check this out - I hope it fits. This will be my second Barbisio. They seem to be of excellent quality.

19a0_3.jpg

17f1_3.jpg

1f2e_3.jpg

1d3c_3.jpg

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
randooch said:
Nice acquisition, there, carouselvic. It looks flawless. What era are those thin-ribbons? Also curious about the liner, after reading the 'liner dating' thread.

I am not certain of the age of this hat. I will need to seek the help of our semi-Canuck(Dinerman). My other #1 Quality has a 1963 date written in it along with two men's names. Possible gift??? I have high hopes for the one I just received, it is a bone color.

MattJH

One Too Many
EVEN-STEVEN said:
This will be my second Barbisio. They seem to be of excellent quality.

They are. They were direct competitors to Borsalino. You can get new ones still, sort of - they were absorbed into Cervo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe