Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
Brown Fedora 7 1/2

I feel like I got a pretty good deal on this one, considering the size, and the fact that my snipe was actually for twice as much as I paid.

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing this hat will be from the mid fifties to early sixties.

Wow, I almost bid on that one myself and just now deleted it from my watch list on Ebay. Great price. I was wondering who got it.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do not misunderestimate the hat!

Ecuadorial.jpg

Both Ecuadorian AND Equatorial!

It's "Ecuadorial"!

BRILLIANT word coinage! Sounds quite festive!
He should run for President. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I have been lucky the last couple of days. This is the second teens/20's Velour/long hair I picked up this week. It says 6 7/8, but i'm hoping it fits like a size 7. Even if it doesn't fit, its going into my collection. I'm not sure what a "double ring beaver hat" is, but I can tell you it looks like a long hair rabbit felt hat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Double-Ring-Beaver-Hat-Excellent-Condition-/320997741068?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=6Ix4ja9mWlpGYdPlclnkR0dpsm4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

KGrHqNlEFBLN6t90vBQclKPGPs60_57.jpg

KGrHqFn8FBYT47FSBQclKUiLw60_57.jpg

T2eC16NygE9s7HHqhOBQclKfPzJw60_57.jpg

KGrHqRhQFBocch14jBQclKGQJ60_57.jpg

m0nk

One Too Many
Well, so my Whippet came on Friday, and I'm wearing it today. I snapped a couple of quick pics, but was so busy this weekend that I didn't really take anything great. I was excited and creased it without taking any of the crown open, but the auction pic had a good one so I wasn't too worried about that. Also, the color appears almost a blue-grey... very similar to the Akubra moonstone color (though moonstone has a slight tan-ish hue as well).

It's also hard to tell, but the liner has some spotting in it, possibly stains or mildew, and I'm not sure what to do about that yet, though I had considered taking it out temporarily but found that the ribbon is sewn in through the liner.... weird.

At any rate, overall the rest of the hat appears almost brand new!! Not bad for $41....

The first pic has my Moonstone Fed IV in the background... under repair (son popped the stitching on the bow):
whippet1.JPG

Liner, might be hard to see the spotting, but it appears to be a 40's model, I think:
whippet2.JPG

whippet3.JPG

whippet4.JPG

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, Fantastic! As you know I like old Velours! :) Looking foward to further details!

Excellent... sharp eyes there, Josh. What a find. The MD abbreviation for Maryland seems unusual, but it certainly looks to be an early hat in great shape.

Thanks so much, Gentlemen!! I'm really looking forward to having this one in my hands. It appears to be a silver-ish color from the auction pictures, so I'm curious what color it really is.

Josh, Super find! Looking forward to seeing more of this Velour. Appears to be in great condition. Too bad about the Capper Happer. As you said hopefully someone on the FL picked it up.

Monk, Your Whippet looks great. I wouldn't worry about the liner. Also you can always put in the freezer for a couple hours. :)

m0nk

One Too Many
Josh, Super find! Looking forward to seeing more of this Velour. Appears to be in great condition. Too bad about the Capper Happer. As you said hopefully someone on the FL picked it up.

Monk, Your Whippet looks great. I wouldn't worry about the liner. Also you can always put in the freezer for a couple hours. :)
Thanks, that's actually a good idea. I was planning on leaving it in the sun, but it's raining all week. I also thought about leaving it in the garage overnight, but it's warming up this week... I hadn't thought about the freezer. :D

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Did anyone get the grey Dobbs TWENTY that ended yesterday??? I was heartbroken this morning, because I thought it would go for FAR MORE than what it closed at. I would have bid on it. CRUMBS!!!

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
[QUOTE=It reminds me quite a bit on an early Stetson velour that I own.

Looks like the same color scheme as that Exposition Stetson, Josh.

Mystic

Practically Family
Well, so my Whippet came on Friday, and I'm wearing it today. I snapped a couple of quick pics, but was so busy this weekend that I didn't really take anything great. I was excited and creased it without taking any of the crown open, but the auction pic had a good one so I wasn't too worried about that. Also, the color appears almost a blue-grey... very similar to the Akubra moonstone color (though moonstone has a slight tan-ish hue as well).

It's also hard to tell, but the liner has some spotting in it, possibly stains or mildew, and I'm not sure what to do about that yet, though I had considered taking it out temporarily but found that the ribbon is sewn in through the liner.... weird.

At any rate, overall the rest of the hat appears almost brand new!! Not bad for $41....

The first pic has my Moonstone Fed IV in the background... under repair (son popped the stitching on the bow):
whippet1.JPG

Liner, might be hard to see the spotting, but it appears to be a 40's model, I think:
whippet2.JPG

Looks like a nice Whippet to me :thumb:

I got a Whippet on ebay with the same liner 3 weeks ago in a Chocolate brown color for $32.50. Looks to be the same as yours except the liner on yours in cleaner than the one I got. I wanted to see and hold one for myself.

I knew when I bought it the liner ( stains & yellow spots) would have to come out to be cleaned. It is much better but, hey it's a $32.00 Whippet. The rest of the hat is very nice and I was surprise at the thickness and softness of the felt. I'm happy, spots and all.

When removing the liner for a Woolite soak and bath I ran into the same thing you did. The ribbon was sewn, tacked, through the liner as well as the liner being basted to the hat. And some of the stitching was in a very tight knot. Had to use a hem ripper to get them out.

That's the first time I have seen that done to a hat. I thought at first a previous owner had replaced the ribbon. But upon closer inspection....I don't think thats the case. Seems to have been made that way.

This is my first Whippet....and I have limited experience with hats......so maybe some of the more experenced Whippet owners could weigh in on this subject.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld