Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Early comic strips

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Came across a resource for early comics. Katzenjammer Kids, Barney Google, Hawkshaw, etc. All scanned and ready for reading. :eusa_clap

http://www.barnaclepress.com/

Some are just plain funny, while others are a bit strange. I'm assuming some, like this Modish Mitzi from 1922, are for adults more than kids.

modmitz250801.jpg

Richard

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh gee -- "Them Days Is Gone Forever!" I've been using that phrase for many a year, with some subconscious memory of having picked it up from a comic strip or something, and bingo, there it is!

Great stuff -- the comic strips of the twenties and thirties really ought to be better known and more widely available than they are.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Very cool- I just wish that they had Dixie Dugan. Her original look was inspired by Louise Brooks, and I've never found it anywhere.
It's funny; I remember running for the paper every Sunday morning to get the comics. My son, I'm pretty sure, doesn't even know that they exist. Kinda sad, actually...

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Can't be worse than the crapola we have in our paper where each one attempts to be ironic, bizarre, tongue-in-cheek and esoterically humorous....all at the same time usually.:(

Doh!

One Too Many
A couple of years ago, I was fortunate enough to catch a traveling show of original comic art. The Litte Nemo art was truly beautiful, and the size of the originals was huge. It's amazing the McCay was able to crank something out every week!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Doh! said:
A couple of years ago, I was fortunate enough to catch a traveling show of original comic art. The Litte Nemo art was truly beautiful, and the size of the originals was huge. It's amazing the McCay was able to crank something out every week!

The details and imagination of Little Nemo never fail to amaze me. The colors and draftsmanship are stunning. I'm with you, I don't know how McCay did it every week. The only other comic that I think comes close to McCay's work is Tony Millionaire's Sock Monkey, but Sock Monkey doesn't come out on a weekly basis.

Flivver

Practically Family
Ella Cinders was always one of my favorite cartoons. This one really evokes the 1920s for me with Ella's twenties slang and flapper fashions.

I didn't realize until reading the website referenced above that the cartoon inspired the 1926 movie "Ella Cinders" starring Colleen Moore...not the other way around. I'm fortunate enough to have a VHS copy of that movie...it, too, is one of my favorites.

Come to think of it, *any* movie starring Colleen Moore is one of my favorites! She was the perfect flapper, in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld