Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

Sure, it's just down the track from Petticoat Junction.

My favorite is in perhaps the 1st episode where Uncle Jed is speaking about Jethro Bodean to Miss hathaway and tells her Jethro went to school at Oxenford. Miss H thinks Jed said Oxford and asks if Jethro is a Eaton man. Jed thinks Miss H said is Jethro an Eatin' man to which Jed answer "yes i'd say so."

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
My favorite is in perhaps the 1st episode where Uncle Jed is speaking about Jethro Bodean to Miss hathaway and tells her Jethro went to school at Oxenford. Miss H thinks Jed said Oxford and asks if Jethro is a Eaton man. Jed thinks Miss H said is Jethro an Eatin' man to which Jed answer "yes i'd say so."

Jed: "Jethro's a eatin' man all right. He was the champion of the school."

Miss Jane: "Cricket?"

Jed: "No, crawdads. He ate 4 buckets. Even Jethro wouldn't eat crickets"

*They give each other a look*

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Last edited:

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Hey, new poster here, saw this thread and figured I'd chime in.

I don't know if Straight Eight still posts here as it's been a couple of years, but this may solve his concerns re-highway driving.

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Buick_straight_eight_263_320.htm

Bolts an old buick eight to a 700R4 transmission. (aka, GM 4 speed auto)

Would definitely improve driveability.

Welcome Aboard,

I'm not much on changing things on vintage cars being one that prefers to keep things original. But to each their own, and perhaps it might prove helpful to someone that wants to take their older car on the interstate. Thankfully my 65 Lincoln convertible with the 430 under the hood has no trouble stepping out smartly. Again, welcome aboard.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
430!!! Not too many people today have ever HEARD of that one! FE, right???

Yes she has a 430 Super Marauder under the hood with only 96,000 original miles on her. She does not smoke, is dead quiet at an idle when warmed up, has a soft purr when driving, and steps out smartly for a car that is 280 lbs shy of three tons. If you look back a few pages (Page 81 in fact.) you can see some recent snaps of her. Here's a hint, she is the only red 65 Lincoln convertible you will see in the recent pages.:D

Last edited:

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Hi Auld

You could rent the back sit out as a studio apartment..

Really sharp LCC.

Best Regards
CCJ

Hi again CCJ,

There would be plusses and minuses with the arrangement. On one hand it would make it convenient to always have you place of living close at hand, and mobile. On the other hand the heating, cooling, and transportation costs would get prohibitive with the "Johnnie Walker Blue" high test fuel you have to give her refined discerning palate!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
High test and octane boost is great if you don't drive the car daily.
I did that for a year on a car with 11:1 pistons, it was essentially a slightly beefed up 69 LT1.
Oh it ran great when you had hi test and octane boost, but knocked like crazy without it.
And back then I thought gas was high....at 1.05 a gallon for high test. :eeek:

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Hey, new poster here, saw this thread and figured I'd chime in.

I don't know if Straight Eight still posts here as it's been a couple of years, but this may solve his concerns re-highway driving.

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Buick_straight_eight_263_320.htm

Bolts an old buick eight to a 700R4 transmission. (aka, GM 4 speed auto)

Would definitely improve driveability.

Once he figured out how to eliminate the torque tube. :eusa_doh:

Lots of solutions out there, but Buicks and Chevrolets of that era both are complicated subjects for transmission swaps because of the ‘tube.

430!!! Not too many people today have ever HEARD of that one! FE, right???

MEL (“Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln”). Biggest FE (“Ford-Edsel”) was 428.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Ah ha! Guess I goofed on that one!

No sweat. Seems like that's the only way I learn anything, is to be wrong about it in front of people at least once.

My dad had a friend in the '60s with a 430 in a '56 Crown Vic; so I was familiar with the MEL from a young age. They got as big as 462 c.i. before Ford replaced them with the 429.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
High test and octane boost is great if you don't drive the car daily.
I did that for a year on a car with 11:1 pistons, it was essentially a slightly beefed up 69 LT1.
Oh it ran great when you had hi test and octane boost, but knocked like crazy without it.
And back then I thought gas was high....at 1.05 a gallon for high test. :eeek:

I know what you mean on the price of high test, I'm paying about $3.85 give or take a few shekels. The Lincoln has a 25 gallon tank, and gets 9 mpg around town, and 11 to 14 on the highway. So you can see where the this is going as to cost. But I still pull her out for a spin as often I can. It is a vacation on wheels every time I get to drive her, and a great way to relax after a tough day.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Whenever I see a car from the 352 era advertised as having a 351, I wonder if it’s an engine swap or just an error.

Reading the auto swapper is usually good for a laugh, with all the “Stahl converters”, “Hurst four-speeds”, and “inline V6s”.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Whenever I see a car from the 352 era advertised as having a 351, I wonder if it’s an engine swap or just an error.

Reading the auto swapper is usually good for a laugh, with all the “Stahl converters”, “Hurst four-speeds”, and “inline V6s”.

Not to mention all the cars from the 30s, 40s and 50s with "flat six" engines. Did they swap in a Porsche, Corvair or Subaru powerplant?

They never make this mistake with Fords. Everyone knows they had a "flathead" engine. I have never been able to figure out how they know the right term for Fords and the wrong one for everything else.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe