Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing Your Guy...

Etienne

A-List Customer
Ladies, I have a question for you. If you are going to the QM event and you are into vintage clothing, what do you do for your guy if he doesn't wear vintage clothing? Would you just have him wear a regular suit or get him to go out and buy something vintage? I wouldn't even know where to begin when getting vintage men's clothing (aside from an odd piece here or there, I mean.) Any thoughts? (We're going, and I like 40's clothing if that helps.)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I'm not sure yet if my boyfriend is coming or not, but he isn't into vintage. I wouldn't want to force him to do something he's not comfortable with and would just ask him to wear a suit, which he loves to do anyway. I'd forgo the hat with him unless he expressed an interest on his own.

Strider

One of the Regulars
It's funny, but this is actually something I had to talk to my girlfriend about. She might be coming, also, and it's the complete other way around with her and I. I want to show up dressed to the nines in vintage, and I had to explain to her: "You don't need to go all out or anything, just a nice dress would be a good idea. Nothing showing your shoulders, or your chest, please." I mainly only asked her because I was afraid she would feel like she was sticking out like a sore thumb otherwise, and I don't want her feeling any more out of place than she probably already will.

I know there are a lot of fine ladies here who have stunning vintage appearel, and I just wouldn't want her feeling self concious. Was it concieted of me to make the request? She didn't mind, and nothing more was said/though of it, but I'm just wondering.

Etienne

A-List Customer
Well, first of all, I guess being married to my hubby for 32 years would explain that we can (and do!) just talk about everything, so I don't need to worry about offending him or making him feel forced to do or wear something. And he's not opposed to doing a little vintage, it's just that I don't really know where to start and stop with it for him. (I hope this makes sense.) It's probably more that I just don't know men's vintage fashions too well and just want to give him a vintage "flavor" without going crazy with it. So far, the hat thing is off limits! He just can't see himself in a hat! But other than that, I feel like I don't know what direction to take. He's fine with a suit, ITG, so that's a good suggestion. I just want him to feel part of the whole scene! Frankly, I'm stunned he agreed to go to the QM, as he sees this whole FL thing as my deal, not his. So I'm happily counting my blessings:)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Since this sorta became about the QM specifically...

You need to remember, the QM is about meeting up with people you talk to here.

Thats it.

Yes yes I know we are all wibbling about what we are wearing and all that. But that's not what its -about-. Period.

It does not matter what you wear, or what your partner wears. It really doesn't. There were -plenty- of people last year not in vintage, myself included.

No matter the fuss about clothes and so forth.....

It's about the People.

Snookie

Practically Family
Don't stress too much about finding him vintage articles -- sometimes mixing them in with modern clothes is more trouble, IMHO. Like making a short vintage tie look good with modern low waisted pants. Or trying to find a french cuffed shirt for those vintage cufflinks. Maybe while he's there he'll learn about vintage dressing, and have some ideas for next year!

I understand that there's going to Indiana Jones re-enactors there too? (Sorry, I'm not sure what the preferred term is) So it should be ok if he wants to bring some more casual daytime clothes, I suppose. Shouldn't have to stay in a suit ALL weekend!

Snookie

Practically Family
Strider said:
"You don't need to go all out or anything, just a nice dress would be a good idea. Nothing showing your shoulders, or your chest, please."

I know there are a lot of fine ladies here who have stunning vintage appearel, and I just wouldn't want her feeling self concious. Was it concieted of me to make the request? She didn't mind, and nothing more was said/though of it, but I'm just wondering.

Strider, I think it was considerate of you to make those recommendations to your g/f, since most women do notice if they are over- or underdressed. It sounds like she appreciated it. As long as you weren't telling her what YOU want her to wear, but rather what you think SHE would be comfortable wearing, it's not conceited. Don't forget, it's going to be extra cold and windy next to the ocean, so no bare shoulders is good for practical reasons!

Etienne

A-List Customer
Thanks, MissNeecerie, I wasn't even registering that that was the thrust of the QM event, really. But it makes sense. I always presume that so many of you already know each other from other events, etc. that I was prepared to just feel like an outsider on the fringes! (I have never met one single person from the FL and I can be a bit on the shy side, so this is a stretch for me!) So...I will forget about the clothes thing and just go and enjoy! Thanks for the the clarification!

Strider

One of the Regulars
Snookie said:
I understand that there's going to Indiana Jones re-enactors there too?

Yes, as this is an event for both another website devoted to Indiana Jones clothing, and this site. The correct term is "gearhead", and yes, we will be there (as much as some will pretend not to notice). :p

Snookie said:
Strider, I think it was considerate of you to make those recommendations to your g/f, since most women do notice if they are over- or underdressed. It sounds like she appreciated it. As long as you weren't telling her what YOU want her to wear, but rather what you think SHE would be comfortable wearing, it's not conceited. Don't forget, it's going to be extra cold and windy next to the ocean, so no bare shoulders is good for practical reasons!

Thanks, I appreciate that!

Wild Root

Gone Home
It is all about the people! We do get all jazzed about getting dressed up but, for those who don't own vintage or anything that is very vintage in looks, it's ok, I'd say just dress nicely in a suit for guy and a nice dress for a lady. It is a fancy event so, one should dress properly but, there is not written rule about it being vintage. You can find some fun vintage items for a guy on ebay, ties, hats and such... a modern suit doesn't look to bad with a nice vintage tie... some of the vintage ties are short but, they wore'em that way with or with out high wasted pants! A vest is always a good idea to wear, sweater vest or button vest! Since it's going to be November, it will be kind of cold out.

If any ladies here are needing more info on where to find some guy's vintage, I'm happy to help, just PM me and I'll do what I can!

Sincerely,

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld