Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Whistle?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sometimes when the air is moist and my lips aren't dry,
when the temperture's right, I pucker up and give at try...
"Two of Us" by the Nerk Twins, is always a good one!

-dixon cannon

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i learned from my dad and now i'm better than him...regulars are The Great Escape and Quigley Down Under...and i learned the loud whistle without the fingers from him too...faster though...he learned it in 3 weeks when he was a kid and it took me 15 min...sorry, im bragging now :eusa_doh:

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Yes- You know how to whistle. . .

(I can't help myself) [huh]
"Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow." Slim in "To have and have not" :D

Actually, I do. But I sing more often than whistle. I can also do the whistles through fingers but you don't need them to do that whistle- it is mostly the way you hold your tongue (which my mother always told me to do, as it were). In whistling a tune I can also whistle on the inhale so I don't have to stop to breathe. What a useless bit of talent *that* is!!

Hondo

One Too Many
I actually have another login i.d. some where as Whistler but thats Whistler (Kris Kristofferson),from the Blade horror or vampire movie, I used to whistle the theme song to Andy Griffith show its been years now, also its been a while since i did Wolf whistle as pretty girls walk by, remember that? lol

Jay

Practically Family
I whistle, mostly when I'm performing some menial task. It's a habit I get from my Dad. He whistles all the time, and the same tune, only 4 or 5 notes. I'm usually partial to the Great Escape theme as well.

Also, apparently it's considering bad luck to whistle indoors in some households. I really have trouble then, considering I will whistle without noticing at any time.

Marty M.

Vendor
I whistle all the time. I;'ve been told by my wife that its a little annoying. I take it that Im not a very good whistler [huh] .
Marty Mathis

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've had a lot of girls mention the positive dad or grandpa association, usually when I whistle unconsciously while working on things.

I wonder if that too will die off as we now carry our music along with us in little white boxes.

As for the whistling girl association, whistling and spitting are both pursed-lipped actions. Aside from sexism, maybe there's a bit of guilt by association?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Now, if one is good at whistlin', then it ain't so bad... If someone is a bad whistler... woa, AgOnY!

I've been told that I'm a good whistler... and I enjoy doin' it at work... within the large ecco chamber that's known as the Griffith Observatory! lol

When it comes to whistlin' I do it Bing Crosby style... kinda of a lost art really... with a nice vibrato and flourishes.

Ya know, more men and boys whistled back in the day... because more songs were whistlin' friendly! Modern music (if ya can call it that) has no real melody and it's hard to whistle to. Back in the day, music had a strong melody that one could whistle to.

Good whistlin' = fun... bad whistlin' = painlol

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I whistle often---mostly traditional tunes. The Grand Old Tennessee Waltz, Bonnie Blue Flag, Waltzing Matilda and The Battle of New Orleans are some of my favorite songs for whistling.

I can also whistle very loudly through my front teeth. In fact, someone once told me that my whistle could cut steel. Its something I learned as a kid growing up on the water. I can grab another boater's attention even if he's standing beside a 200hp Evinrude and I'm whistling at him from a hundred yards down wind!

AF

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I am a good whistler and here's why...

... when I was seven years old, I couldn't whistle. I wasn't too concerned about it until one night when some family friends came over and brought their kids. One was a "serious" teaser named Donna Jean. She was 10 years old.

She was whistling and noticed I was struggling to do so, so she said, "Don't you know how to whistle yet?" No, I admitted.

"How old are you?," she queried.

"Seven years old," I said, "I'll be eight in two months."

"You know, don't you," Donna Jean said, "that if you don't learn to whistle by the time you're eight, that you will die?"

No, I didn't know that and I wasn't certain she was correct, but she was 10 and knew more than me, and ... well, maybe she was right.

So, for the next two weeks, night and day, I practised trying to whistle, worried that I would die soon. Finally, after two weeks, the first little whoosh noise came out of my mouth and I knew I was going to live.

I didn't stop there; I can now whistle The 1812 Overture, Stars and Stripes Forever, and all sorts of tunes. I have been told by a couple of friends I am the best whistler they've ever known (but I am sure there are folks out there much better than me).

I owe it all to Donna Jean, bless her beastly little heart.

Also, when asked on job interviews if I can work under pressure, I always said "yes, yes I certainly can."

karol

D

DeaconKC

I whistle, but being tone deaf, I don't do it around anyone I like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe