Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you think there could be a second Great Depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You're chopping at the very root of modern society there. How many people will do any of those things of their own free will? Probably there's a greater proportion of us on the Lounge than there are in society at large -- but how many people other than us would voluntarily scale back their consumption to, say, 1930s/1940s levels? And what would happen to society if suddenly they were forced to do so?

I think we're talking a scenario more along the lines of having to scale back, rather than voluntarily scaling back.

A portion of my family spent most of the 1930s homeless, and not due to their unwillingness to sacrifice. I'm not going to be homeless voluntarily.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think we're talking a scenario more along the lines of having to scale back, rather than voluntarily scaling back.

When you have a society where the entire structure of the economy is based on ever-increasing consumption the only way to truly and meaningfully reduce consumption is to rethink the entire basis for your economy. How willing are people to do *that?* Not very.

Eventually the whole house of cards has to come crashing down -- I don't think it's a matter of if, but when. What happens *after* that will mean a lot more than just scaling back.

What if the time comes when your money is worthless, and the people you'd hire to do all those little jobs you couldn't be bothered with aren't the least bit interested in your problems anymore because they're too busy surviving for themselves? How many people -- and what kind of people -- would survive under those conditions?

You could likely say good bye to most of the over 60 crowd who are not able bodied (or anyone not able bodied for that matter). That would be a sad time.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's exactly right. There won't be too much call for philosophers or think-tankers or artists or entertainers either. Celebrities will be like those little yippy dogs that wouldn't last five minutes on their own.

You could likely say good bye to most of the over 60 crowd who are not able bodied (or anyone not able bodied for that matter). That would be a sad time.

HEY..I'm not so feeble that I can't shoot a damn gun...and almost bend over to pick a green bean. I even think I could chop wood(with a few long breaks). No need to insult the over 60 crowd,young man.
Just 'Stay the hell outa my yard'.......:mad:

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
The folks who are over 60 that are able bodied might do better than most because they have more experience with changing conditions and doing things for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken