Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you think there could be a second Great Depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...One of the things I hate about modern politics -- and am glad we're not supposed to discuss it here -- is that it can't seem to ever advance beyond the ass-moron level of discourse. Once again, Idiocracy got it right.
Well, if the candidates would advance past the level of...we'd have something to discuss, wouldn't we?

Feraud

Bartender
'Cause you love Obama maybe?
I'd say love is too strong word and one I'd only apply to my wife and son..and our pug. ;)

I respect our President. His failings are as much the result of a lack of co-operation between the two parties as it is a personal one. His failure is our failure, no matter what party you belong to.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
vote.jpg

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
Why is it that I'm beginning to think that talking politics must be allowed again...perfectly timed for forming heated discussion before the big election. Or are opinionated telling quips only allowable if kept short and borderline humorous?

Good point. I just deleted the original post (with the poster), and regret that I put it up in the first place. My apologies to the FL for having done so. It won't happen again.

I'd say love is too strong word and one I'd only apply to my wife and son..and our pug. ;)I respect our President. His failings are as much the result of a lack of co-operation between the two parties as it is a personal one. His failure is our failure, no matter what party you belong to.
Neither party for me. That mess needs to go. If people can discuss generic politics without getting dirty, I see it as a benefit as I am curious about how folks in this different piece of the world think. Not too deep, just enough to keep us outta trouble. Or not. Whatever the Mod's think.

Last edited:
Neither party for me. That mess needs to go. If people can discuss generic politics without getting dirty, I see it as a benefit as I am curious about how folks in this different piece of the world think. Not too deep, just enough to keep us outta trouble. Or not. Whatever the Mod's think.

You think we have dirty politics now? :rofl:
[video=youtube_share;Y_zTN4BXvYI]http://youtu.be/Y_zTN4BXvYI[/video]

So..you do think that we can discuss 'generic' politics here without getting dirty?
Political discussions are back on board again then?
I disagree wholeheartedly with your post "803"...and can offer a long post of why I do.
Please advise if the 'rule' has changed. Evidentally..it has. [huh]
HD

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
You're right Paul. In the past it has resulted in certain members banned here...threads locked down..and general hard feelings. Even other forums finally followed the FL's lead in not allowing political posts..because it became such a mess.
HD

My guitar forum got so bad before the last election that even I had to bail from it. There for a while, it was tough to find a post on it that actually mentioned something about guitars. I "re-upped" a few months ago and I guess political speak had been banned. Nicer place now...even if it is a bit more sedate....

AF

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
A very fine and active phonograph forum, the most active on the web, was blown up in the last election, or rather after it, when the owner, who is otherwise an extremely intellegent, charming and amusing man, began posting horrific racist and sexist rants, and photo-essays about the "Swift-Luck Green FEMA concentration camp", hundreds of thousands (alternately millions) of FEMA plastic coffins, and the rounding up and execution of all regstered gun owners. When regualr posters attempted to refute these written panic attacks the board owner began to prattle on about his perception of the sexuality of these posters, they complained, and eventually the whole thing was shut down by the hosting firm. Three or four replacement boards were set up, but none have been as vibrant as the original.

Yeah, human nature being what it is, prolly best to keep it away. Too bad, but that's the 'net for ya. People are frustrated with just about everything, so it comes out as anger. I'm working and I'm angry - can't imagine (there goes the jinx) being without a job right now. Tough times for many. I sympathize and wish you all a great day. May we all remain "friends" and enjoy life.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Internet forums (such as this) are on a legal frontier. At least in the US, there is thought that forums are subject to the guarantees provided by the 1st Amendment. This is because, though forums are generally privately owned, the government regulates internet bandwidth and such. Extending this logic, one could argue that political posts…even rants such as the ones described here…are protected speech, at least to some degree.

Edward (here) knows a fair amount more about this than do I.

My belief is much simpler. I think if the folks who are providing me with a place to read and talk about hats would like for me to refrain from expressing my personal political views on their forum…

Then I will so refrain.

AF

Yes, Long received kickbacks from the very secret police force that I mentioned. lol lol These were taxpayer funded by the way. From the Democratic Underground: "He came across as a populist, but his maneuvering behind the scene was despicable. Huey Long was in Louisiana politics for one reason and one reason alone: Huey Long.

Read some more recent historical works that expose the empire Long built to benefit himself. The working class bought into it, meantime Long swilled Dom Perinon in the mansion that the working class unknowingly built for him. "
Well, at least when he said elect "The Crook" he was being honest. :p

Sounds a little bit like LBJ. And for those that can recall: "Hey Hey LBJ how many kids did you kill today."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken