Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you like contrasting knits?

here are some similar combos: Screen shot 2014-11-23 at 8.22.11 AM.jpg OR Screen shot 2014-11-23 at 8.21.30 AM.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Not a fan of the green, tbh, it just doesn't work for me. It's odd, but to me the knits don't look quite 'attached' to the shell as they would with the usual toning or strong contrast knits. Horses for courses, though, and I don't think you'll be court marshalled or anything!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'd go for the contrast, but if the leather is bland and without character, the jacket just looks like two colors thrown together.

I'm beginning to think you're right. If the cuffs were knit too, then maybe it would balance out, but since it's only a knitted waistband perhaps the conservative route is the way to go.

Nick- this leather is really nice stuff! a perfect mid-brown. :)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'm beginning to think you're right. If the cuffs were knit too, then maybe it would balance out, but since it's only a knitted waistband perhaps the conservative route is the way to go.

Nick- this leather is really nice stuff! a perfect mid-brown. :)

No way am I talking about the Norshor! I really like it. I'm talking about budget A-2s, made of grainless leather, where a guy just throws red knits on them. It's hard to explain, but contrasting knits with characterless leather just rub me the wrong way.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I don't like contrasting knits. I never understood the attraction of the seal leather/reddish knit combo that seems to be so beloved here. Same for olive, tan, golden knits. I prefer closely or vaguely matching shades.

Hey, you asked.

Some will do anything just to blend in - others will do everything to stand out. lol lol

Remember when I did my national service. We were handed a pair of not very smart, pale khaki, rubber soled gym shoes. With matching, pale khaki shoelaces. Know what I did? - I went through five different shoe stores just to get my hands of a pair of bright blue shoelaces.
Not just to stand out - but also to show that I was an individual in this pale khaki world. I lasted five weeks before some sergeant spotted them. And I lost my weekend pass. But heck it was worth it. Just the look on his face...

Last edited:
Guys,
Thanks for the insight. Big J, those are beautiful jackets. You too, Spitfire.
Here's what I ended up with:
knits.jpg
I think it's gonna be great.
Cheers.

Last edited:

devilish

A-List Customer
One combo I really like is the dark seal goat skin with the purple knits. If JC would do it, I'd have him change the ones on my 55J14. I also really liked that blue A-1 with the OD knits that was all over the blogs recently. I have the Buzz B-15C Mod. in that combination and I think it looks great. I feel (as was mentioned earlier) the A-1 lends itself better to this contrasting style because of the knit collar. It makes it look more 'whole' and not just an 'add on'.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The ultimate in contrast! A1 in original spec OD. I like authentic replicas, but even I would rather have some shade of brown!
A-1OliveHorsehide-7_zps5992d52b.jpg

You run into that Black with Brown thing....
Seal with dark brown knits is pretty common though.
I ended up getting mid-brown knits that match the leather perfectly. :)
Haven't pulled the trigger on the jacket yet though.

Banzai

Familiar Face
I was thinking that the black with brown on the jacket might actually give it more versatility for clothes pairings, but the colors are still close enough that it doesn't really jump out unless you look close.

Unfortunately, I can't find pictures. All the contrasting knit photos have things like red, or green, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82