Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a crush?

TessTrueheart

Well since CharlestonBows posted this picture I've had a crush on him.:eek:
2-14b.jpg

I also love Alain de Botton (yes, I am a complete dork):
alain_de_botton.jpg

And I love, love, love the glorius Eddie Izzard!
eddie_izzard.jpg

Unfortunately Im not crushing on anybody in my "real word" (aka "in my league) at the moment....:(

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
People do surround themselves with people they feel are their equals both in physical build and personality. I think it is a natural habit that most people don't realize they are engaging in. I do agree that when someone does give in to the concept of "out my league", it is lack of confidence. But there must be something deeper within us to seek out those who are most compatible. Just look at the TV ads for E:Harmony.

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
TessTrueheart said:
Well since CharlestonBows posted this picture I've had a crush on him.:eek:
2-14b.jpg

I also love Alain de Botton (yes, I am a complete dork):
alain_de_botton.jpg

And I love, love, love the glorius Eddie Izzard!
eddie_izzard.jpg

Unfortunately Im not crushing on anybody in my "real word" (aka "in my league) at the moment....:(

Girlie, you need to get the idea that you could get anyone in any league ;)

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
A lot of folks look at it that way. Personally, I agree with your sister. The concept of "oh no, they're out of my league" is not only reflective of a lack of self-confidence, but quite frankly rather insulting to anyone whom you do try to win over and have a relationship. So it seems to me, anyhow.

I understand the lack of self confidence thing, but I am curious to know how it is an insult to the other person. And by asking that I am not saying it should be a compliment I just never thought of it as insulting. I guess I have this be thing about being worthy of both physically and intellectually. And by worthy I mean that both partners are worthy of each other and that their faults and strengths more or less equal eachother. This is of course why I am still single.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
deadpandiva said:
This is of course why I am still single.

My ex is "way out of my league" in the looks department. We were a perfect match personality-wise however. After 10 years of marriage, she opted to dump me for a younger man who is much better looking than myself. Apparently they have absolutely nothing in common, because she keeps calling me and coming over and inviting me to lunch ... etc. Its creepy.

I think I might be better off just staying single and lonely the rest of my life than to find the perfect match, only to have that other person keep looking for someone better throughout the relationship.

Richard

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PennyCarol, I doubt you looked so dumb. I bet you looked cute. I doubt the teacher thinks you are dumb at all.

Deadpan, I know you're pretty from your avatar ... don't fret. Flirting takes practice. List to yourself the things that DO make you attractive. Think about those instead of the ones you don't think are attractive!

However, Bebop and Edward, I must respectfully disagree with the following statements:

Edward it's a rare person who is genuinely ugly said:
personality [/I]rather than physicality. Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder...

BeBopBaby said:
Wise words that I agree with 100%. What makes a person ugly is their personality, not their physical looks. Personality is so much more important.

I agree that there are persons with horrible personalities, but I have met some horrible-looking people, too.

My sister-in-law says, "there are no ugly girls. Only lazy girls." On the rare occasions when we see a hideous person, unless it is the Elephant Man, 85% of what is hideous about them are things they could improve if they spent energy on it.

As to beauty being in the eye of the beholder: well, I don't know about that, either. Partially, I suppose. But there is a fairly solid consensus to judgments of sexual attractiveness (with, naturally, a few outliers). Symmetry is not really in the eye of the beholder, and an entire school of thought is slowly dismantling the extreme-subjectivity-of-beauty chestnut. Posture, gait, skin clarity, eye gleam are considered attractive because they connote health. Responsive communication, a glance that takes things in, the quickness of a smile connote reaction time and awareness, which are hardly useless. These are not unrelated to the probability of producing healthy offspring. The personality traits that are considered attractive very often include sympathy and other traits that translate to the willingness to care for offspring. To groom oneself implies that one cares enough to attract a quality mate. To be indolent in one's appearance may very well make others think that one is indolent in many respects, important ones. Yes, I read a lot of E.O. Wilson. Can you tell?

As for Starbuck ... the actress is PLAYING a distracted, slightly sociopathic slob, let us remember ... the actress's cheekbones, eyes, movements, and so on are still what almost anyone would consider attractive.

My two cents' worth ... and probably worth every penny.:p

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
Doran said:
I agree that there are persons with horrible personalities, but I have met some horrible-looking people, too.

My sister-in-law says, "there are no ugly girls. Only lazy girls." On the rare occasions when we see a hideous person, unless it is the Elephant Man, 85% of what is hideous about them are things they could improve if they spent energy on it.

I certainly would not want to cross paths with you on a bad hair day [huh]

Of course, admitting to a crush on someone who's off-the-market is never a good idea... :p ;)

I will admit to harboring several crushes on "unattached" Lounger ladies--some of whom may already know it--but for the most part you'd have better luck extracting major structural components than that information...:eek:

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
Let's put it this way, Ms. Desi, if one of them evolves from "crush" to "item", you might find out then...:D

I'm Intel/Counterintel, remember? I can be just as coy as you ladies when I choose to be...;) lol And just as much of a tease, too.:p lol

I was thinking hints of the National Enquirer proportion..!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe