Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do try this at home: leather jacket repair tips

Alfredodelavega

New in Town
Hello everyone, I read you very regularly but I have never posted yet, I hope I am in the right place.

I recently purchased this barnstormer aero leather used at a good price. I really like its color and its patina. However, it seems very dirty to me, my hands get dirty every time I handle it. Do you have a tip or protocol for cleaning it without losing its beautiful patina?

Another question, what cowhide do you think it is? I'm considering the horween chromexcel because the jacket is heavy but surprisingly soft (compared to other fqhh jackets) so I have my doubts.

Thank you in advance for your insights
IMG_20241012_170223.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20241012_170144.jpg
    IMG_20241012_170144.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
Bonjour à tous, je vous lis très régulièrement mais je n'ai encore jamais posté, j'espère être au bon endroit.
J'ai récemment acheté ce aero leather barnstormer d'occasion à un bon prix. J'aime beaucoup sa couleur et sa patine. Pour autant il me semble très crasseux, j'ai les mains sales à chaque fois que je le manipule. Auriez-vous une astuce ou un protocole pour le décrasser sans lui faire perdre sa belle patine ?
Autre question, quel steerhide pensez-vous que ce soit ? Je pense à du horween chromexcel car la veste est lourde mais étonnamment souple (comparativement aux autres vestes en fqhh) donc j'ai des doutes.
Merci par avance pour vos lumières. View attachment 646196 View attachment 646197
My English is also lousy and I'm trying to find a translator. Is it perhaps a bit more appreciative when I want to know something? but maybe it's just me.

Alfredodelavega

New in Town
Mon anglais est également médiocre et j'essaie de trouver un traducteur. Est-ce que je serais peut-être un peu plus reconnaissant quand je veux savoir quelque chose ? Mais c'est peut-être juste moi.
My apologies, but all your messages are already automatically translated into my language, I thought it was the same for you and it was done automatically.

Last edited:

TartuWolf

One Too Many
Hello everyone, I read you very regularly but I have never posted yet, I hope I am in the right place.

I recently purchased this barnstormer aero leather used at a good price. I really like its color and its patina. However, it seems very dirty to me, my hands get dirty every time I handle it. Do you have a tip or protocol for cleaning it without losing its beautiful patina?

Another question, what cowhide do you think it is? I'm considering the horween chromexcel because the jacket is heavy but surprisingly soft (compared to other fqhh jackets) so I have my doubts.

Oh man, that's a beauty. Looks like brown CXL for sure.

Leather Walker

Practically Family
Is there any way to soften leather? This Cal has a lot of wrinkles around this collar snap, and I'm worried they may tear the hide, so I'd like to know if there's anything I can do to decrease them. The best scenario would be removing them, but I know using heat iron isn't a good idea -maybe hot steam?
IMG_20241013_142114.jpg

Last edited:

Al 916

One Too Many
Is there any way to soften leather? This Cal has a lot of wrinkles around this collar snap, and I'm worried they may tear the hide, so I'd like to know if there's anything I can do to decrease them. The best scenario would be removing them, but I know using heat iron isn't a good idea -maybe hot steam?
View attachment 646401
Pecard will soften, however looks pretty stable to me on the pic, is it at risk?

Al 916

One Too Many

View attachment 646197

Slightly damp microcloth, lightly wipe.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
After not really liking the original color of my BK Surrogate jacket*, I decided to give it a color change over the last weekend. I went for a darker brown (Fiebing's leather dye chocolate brown) to make the jacket look more like the original film jacket (see last picture) but still create a unique piece. The dyeing process took some time. But I am more than happy with the result. I also deliberately worked on some areas more but dyed them less intensively. This has created a certain lighter undertone in some places. I also didn't dye the collar and the facings. Finally, I applied a thin coat of Fiebing's resolene.

* The design of this leather jacket has always fascinated me from the very beginning, but it took me a long time to get around to ordering it from BK. I didn't really want a clone of the movie surrogate jacket with the overlong, foldable cuffs. I also wanted the jacket in the maltese goat hide offered by BK, although perhaps the other leathers from BK are visually closer to the original.

Note: The indoor photos only partially reflect the current look of the jacket. It “lives” much more now and has a more natural, lively look than before with this boring and plain appearance. Of course, the whole thing took a bit of courage, but because of my experience with leather (jackets), I dared to do it anyway. I am curious to see how the jacket will develop over time...

BK_front_before vs after.JPG

BK_back_before vs after.JPG

BK_back 2_after.jpg

BK_facing_after.jpg

BK_collar_after.jpg

BW_Surrogate film jacket.jpg

BK_front_back_outdoor_2.JPG

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
After not really liking the original color of my BK Surrogate jacket*, I decided to give it a color change over the last weekend. I went for a darker brown (Fiebing's leather dye chocolate brown) to make the jacket look more like the original film jacket (see last picture) but still create a unique piece. The dyeing process took some time. But I am more than happy with the result. I also deliberately worked on some areas more but dyed them less intensively. This has created a certain lighter undertone in some places. I also didn't dye the collar and the facings. Finally, I applied a thin coat of Fiebing's resolene.

* The design of this leather jacket has always fascinated me from the very beginning, but it took me a long time to get around to ordering it from BK. I didn't really want a clone of the movie surrogate jacket with the overlong, foldable cuffs. I also wanted the jacket in the maltese goat hide offered by BK, although perhaps the other leathers from BK are visually closer to the original.

Note: The indoor photos only partially reflect the current look of the jacket. It “lives” much more now and has a more natural, lively look than before with this boring and plain appearance. Of course, the whole thing took a bit of courage, but because of my experience with leather (jackets), I dared to do it anyway. I am curious to see how the jacket will develop over time...

View attachment 646858
View attachment 646859
View attachment 646860
View attachment 646861
View attachment 646869
View attachment 646870
View attachment 646874
That's a really nice overdye job. The hand glazing makes the goatskin look a lot nicer.

Monte.C

Familiar Face

View attachment 646858
View attachment 646859
View attachment 646860
View attachment 646861
View attachment 646869
View attachment 646870
View attachment 646874
You really did a number on that dye job. The minor variations, undyed parts, etc. Really nice jacket.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
That's a really nice overdye job. The hand glazing makes the goatskin look a lot nicer.

You really did a number on that dye job. The minor variations, undyed parts, etc. Really nice jacket.
Thank you Sirs!
I am indeed more than satisfied with the result. It was not easy to find the right balance between the less and more colored areas without the jacket looking too artificially aged. I am also very happy with the dyeing product. As you know, original A-2 leather jackets that have been taken out of service have also been refurbished this way. The V. Hilts from the movie The Great Escape is such an example.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Averroes