Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Depp's Fedora

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
That guy's cool. Hate the shirt though. This may have been during his period of hanging out with the beaded and bedraggled 'Keef' Richards, as prep for his Captain Jack Sparrow role.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Depp's a cool guy. I heard he has a pair of shoes from 1910 that hes had resoled more than a dozen times!. Hat- a Whippet maybe....lol

donCarlos

Practically Family
All fedoras I´ve seen on him seems to be beaten up a lot. I don´t like that. I like our fedoras, clean, with neat bash. Anyway, it´s better than nothing.

Mulceber

Practically Family
Love that guy's style - a perfect blend of the modern and the retro. As for the beaten up look, I like it. I like new as well, but beaten up can often look very nice. -M

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
donCarlos said:
All fedoras I've seen on him seems to be beaten up a lot. I don´t like that. I like our fedoras, clean, with neat bash. Anyway, it´s better than nothing.

That's a pretty broad generalization of 11,586 people. I myself have several "beaters" that I love to wear. Especially my dark gray Stetson Vita-felt with the hole at the pinch. For the most part I wear 'em as I got 'em. ;)

tortswon

Practically Family
I'm with JMS

I have some pristine hats and some beaters. I like 'em all. There is a time and a place for all of them.

As far as Depp is concerned, he is doing as much as anyone to raise the consciousness of the public to hats. I think he wears them well. :eusa_clap

hatflick1

Practically Family
I agree with Loungers who prefer the beat up look. Vintage to me has always meant the hat's been worn and looks it. Lived in adds history to what is itself a living testament to a time gone by. One of my weekend favorites is still my gray 1930's Stetson that now approaches Bogart's fedora in the Treasure Of Sierra Madre, hole in the crown and all. I have had men and women come up to me on the street here in Los Angeles and offer to buy it off my head.

I like & have the full range, pristine to beater, of vintage hats. There are times you want a good looking, classic vintage lids & others where a well weathered & worn vintage is on target. I understand the thrill of finding a mint golden oldie but love one full of character with lots of stories to tell showing for everybody to see...

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I think Mr. Depp likes his vintage hats to really appear obviously to be vintage hats. I like the statement it makes against modern, cheap little cloth WalMart 'designer' type hats. I think it's conscious on his part.

Many of the oldies we Loungers have look just like new to the casual observer. I also have the full gamut from new, to like new, to all beat up. I like each for its own merits.

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
Personally speaking, there is a time & place for both beaters & pristine new hats.

For me, I have daily wear hats that are starting to get the "weathered" look. I have my grandfather's handkerchief-felt Borso that is dirty, stained, & torn, but it gets worn on occasion. I also have a beautiful 3x Resistol OR clone that was professionally redone by Gus Miller @ Batsakes.

I tend to go with the "beaters" more; not so much concerned about wear & tear.

Pete

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I recently re-read a page somewhere that described in detail what the various people involved in Raiders did to make Ford's hero hat look the way it did. Although I'd love my Fed IV to look like that, I dont think I could ever subject it to that type of abuse intentionally, and all at once. So it'll have to evolve via the natural handling and aging process.

Feraud

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Johnny Depp always wears those vintage fedoras one size too big for his head. They sit low on his ears. [huh]

I notice the same oversized hats on Bruce Willis. It looks terrible on him.

Depp always looks great in his clothes. He wears 'em and not the other way around.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
I think Johnny Depp is interesting and he is on my short list if personalities that I wouldn't mind meeting. I have met a number of "stars" over the years and there is something about him that piques my interest. He has been wearing hats for years and not just the ones we are used to seeing. Though I think like most of us he has his favorites and he wears his favorite a lot. Unlike us he probably doesn't look at his fedoras the way we do and so fondness for the hat outweighs its condition. In more resent photos you might notice that the hat with the hole has been replaced by a brown model that looks new. Whatever Johnny's style is it is not that which many here try to attain so I suppose it would be at odds with the dapper man.....it's Gonzo

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I have never seen anything that says Depps' fedoras are vintage. Are they?
His high profile or his bank balance either one would lead a lot of hatmakers to his door step. I've never heard any of our resident hatters say they made hats for him but they are a modest bunch by and large.
I do applaud Mr. Depp for his wearing of hats so often. I have not seen a casual picture of him in years where he is bareheaded.

OddSteve

Familiar Face
Personally, I wouldn't wear a hat like this with a shirt like that. But then again, I wouldnt wear a shirt like that at all ;)
With celebrities, I think it's like "Anything goes".

The brim of his hat is too flat for my taste, but it works for him.
The best Johnny Depp movie in my opinion is Dead Man. I get goosebumps every I hear the main title played by Neil Young.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe