Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daylight Savings Time - THIS WEEKEND!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
To all those who haven't gotten the word yet, Daylight Savings Time in the US starts this weekend, March 8, 2009 at 2 AM. Yes, they moved it ahead this year. Just a little heads up.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Undertow said:
And when, does anyone suppose, we'll just stick to one time never to change again? :rolleyes:

That's my thought exactly. All this time changing stuff seems to do is confuse everyone for a few weeks before they get used to waking up in either more light or less light than they're used to.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
When it's Daylight Saving Time in Oshkosh

They never know the time in dear old Oshkosh
When the town sheik meets his passion flower
They like to punch the clock up in the town hall tower

The wives of traveling men are lonesome and neglected
Because the trains pull in before they are expected
When it's Daylight Saving Time in Oshkosh -- Oh gosh!
I'd rather be in Kalamazoo.

They have an awful time in dear old Oshkosh
Every night when hubby locks the flat up
He puts the clock outside -- and starts to wind the cat up

In every barnyard things don't go the way they useter
They move the clocks ahead, but they can't move the rooster
When it's Daylight Saving Time in anyplace -- Oh gosh!
I'd rather be most anyplace else.

–Leo Robin, to music by Richard A. Whiting, 1930.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
To all those who haven't gotten the word yet, Daylight Savings Time in the US starts this weekend, March 8, 2009 at 2 AM. Yes, they moved it ahead this year. Just a little heads up.

Didnt that start a couple years ago in the Bush Administration? I recall they forgot to check with electronics manufacturers, so items( my old VCR) with pre-programmed clocks that automatically adjust for the DST dates were out of sync.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
My two year calender had the old daylight saving time and the computers at work changed automatically (to the old daylight dates) and had to be manually changed to the old time and then again late to the new time.:rage:
Don't get me started started about @$%*ing daylight saving time.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Honeywell Digital Programmable thermostats can be configured for either the old or the new DST changes. If you download updates for your computer then it should be fine. But it is times like this I want to flit off to the islands like the Dominican Republic where the time never changes. Or the adventurous can go to Venezuela where the time is a half hour different...

Matt

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
NPR tells me that the idea was to save energy during war time. Though it fails miserably at that (people drive more, not less) what is succeeds at is helping businesses. More light hours = more time to shop. So in this economy, maybe that will be a good thing.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
You end up having more sunlight & longer days in the spring & summer, with shorter days in the fall & winter. It was originally implemented so the the farmers would have a longer harvest time [huh] I got this little tidbit last night when we were having our weekly bull session while getting our drink on.... and I'm paying for it today with a wicked hangover
beerfunnel.gif
=
1087.gif

----------------
Now playing: Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up
via FoxyTunes

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Daylight Savings Time is for pikers. How about we really save some daylight and go to year-round "War Time," and set the clocks ahead *two* hours.

Actually, I'm surprised no one has suggested we go to year-round DST like we did during the first energy crisis. Walking to school in the pitch dark in the dead of winter with reflector tape stuck all over your coat -- yet another reason to hate the 70s.

Rachael

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
Walking to school in the pitch dark in the dead of winter with reflector tape stuck all over your coat -- yet another reason to hate the 70s.

I remember that, but had no idea there was a change in DST! Looked like a glow in the dark Michelin Man. Oh yeah, dark times indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld