Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Vintage Stetsons by Liner: A Field Guide

mattface

Practically Family
I agree to a point. But you can't sell a Ford and call it a Cadillac and then say, "well, it's just a car!"

Except I think a better analogy would be that you can't sell a Pontiac Firebird and call it a Chevy Camaro. The fact is they are in fact pretty much the same car, made by the same manufacturer on the same chassis, with the same engines, with similar specs and different labels, but you're not allowed to call a Firebird a Camaro. In the case of the cars and the case of the hats for that matter what's on the label may be important to some consumers, but it doesn't matter at all where the rubber meets the road.

HatsEnough

Banned
... In the case of the cars and the case of the hats for that matter what's on the label may be important to some consumers, but it doesn't matter at all where the rubber meets the road.

I can agree wholeheartedly where it concerns personal use. If that hat suffices for you as a Whippet-style hat and serves your purposes... I see no reason to quibble with that. And I agree with you that the hat is the same style and looks just fine for fashion. Heck, every hat company had a hat that looked just like a Whippet. So, "the style" was pervasive, popular, and, well, stylish.

But I really just can't agree with that as a matter of identification. A thing is a thing. In fact, it diminishes any collector market if suddenly brand names or model names become uselessly interchangeable.

But I think it is dangerous to start convincing yourself that a look or a style means a model name! Many 50s era cars had them great tailfin wings. But all of them weren't '57 Chevys. Every car maker had a compact model, but not every compact is a Honda Civic! Every soda maker has a cola, but only Coke is Coke. Every company makes facial tissue, but only Kleenex is Kleenex. Etc., etc. You know what I am saying, I think.

So, while it doesn't matter to a guy that is interested in a nice hat if he has a "real" Whippet or not, it does matter when it comes to identifying that hat as to it's current worth. Nor does it suffice to help that hat wearer if he begins to try and find out more about his hat if everyone confuses the issue with what it really is or isn't. And Stetson doesn't need any help in confusing us any more on what they have. They did a fine, fine job of it all by their lonesome! Ha, ha.

Like I said. Wear it in good health. It has a great look.

mattface

Practically Family

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
late 50's-60's western

001cxi.jpg

003bi.jpg

Same label used on vintage Borsalino
006yz.jpg

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Hello Gentleman!!! JTL, This is an incredible thread and probably the best reference for dating vintage Stetsons ... Thank you!! OK here is a question for you Stetson aficionados .... I have a couple of hats that I can pretty much tell when they were made both seem to be late 50's ... the grey (non open road) the price tag of $12.95 and the plastic liner makes me think late 50's. However the liner logo is a little confusing as from what I can gather from this thread my open road liner with the blue instead of gold in the logo is also the late 50's-early 60's logo. Did Stetson use different logo's in their hats during the same time frame???? Were different logos used in different styles??? Thanks everyone ... great stuff here!!

eac7e9fb.jpg

d2d4ab36.jpg

Open Road
234d566a.jpg

844bf3fc.jpg

BTW .. anyone know what box I should be looking for on the Open Road?????

KK

marksix

New in Town

randooch

I'll Lock Up
The lounge is an amazing resource for all things Stetson. I'm a new member to the site, and I just bought my first vintage Stetson. This was a garage sale find, so I know I didn't overpay, but I'm having trouble identifying/dating the piece that I bought.

Here's a link to my photos of the hat:

I'm hoping to learn more about this hat - any information that you could share would be of great help (dating, style, material,...).
Thanks folks!

That doesn't show as a link on my computer.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
The lounge is an amazing resource for all things Stetson. I'm a new member to the site, and I just bought my first vintage Stetson. This was a garage sale find, so I know I didn't overpay, but I'm having trouble identifying/dating the piece that I bought.

Here's a link to my photos of the hat:

I'm hoping to learn more about this hat - any information that you could share would be of great help (dating, style, material,...).
Thanks folks!

Welcome to the lounge, marksix! Most definitely 1930's , as the other folks have said. I love the dimensions and look of that hat. If you had any intentions of selling the hat, I would be very interested in purchasing it.

marksix

New in Town
Thanks for the warm welcome!
I appreciate all of the feedback that I received on my new old Stetson purchase. Ha, I was having trouble attaching the photos and it looks like I posted the link wrong too. Thanks for the fix Wise, and you're welcome for your early ticket to the 1000+ post club.

JoshBru3 - I really love the look of this hat, but I may need a slightly larger size. Feel free to contact me (see profile) if you're interested.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the warm welcome!
I appreciate all of the feedback that I received on my new old Stetson purchase. Ha, I was having trouble attaching the photos and it looks like I posted the link wrong too. Thanks for the fix Wise, and you're welcome for your early ticket to the 1000+ post club.

JoshBru3 - I really love the look of this hat, but I may need a slightly larger size. Feel free to contact me (see profile) if you're interested.
Hi marksix, I sent you an email. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deuter