Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Made Linen Suit, Panama Hat, linen-leather Spectators?

Rathdown

Practically Family
Start any sartorial eccentricity on your first day of work, otherwise your colleagues will think you've gone ga-ga when, six months after starting the job, you show up in vintage attire.

Edward

Bartender
I think you can probably wear more vintage than you think. Most people aren't like us and would not notice the difference.

Very much so.

Start any sartorial eccentricity on your first day of work, otherwise your colleagues will think you've gone ga-ga when, six months after starting the job, you show up in vintage attire.

Agreed, yes.... though I still would slowly work in some vintage elements such as especially wide-legged trousers or spats. Bow ties always get a great response in my experience, but you want them to know you're for real with those and not wearing it to take the mickey.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I want to be careful though as I fought hard to get this job and the last thing I want to do is lose it because the managers think I look unprofessional. I don't think I'll ever wear bow ties to work (I'll save them for nights out) but I have no problem wearing the hat to the office as I'll take it off inside anyway. Most of my suits and ties don't look too unusual to the untrained eye anyway so I can wear vintage from day one without sticking out.

It's just bow ties and waistcoats that I might leave out because of how unusual they are in a modern company these days.

Haversack

One Too Many
I second Flat Foot Flooey's recommendation of Magnoli Clothiers. I had him make up his Nassau Suit design out of off-white Irish Linen for me to attend some friends' hot-climate daytime wedding a couple of years ago. You can see me wearing it on the avatar to the left. Just make sure you have someone who knows how to measure a person take your measurements.

Haversack.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I was told it is rude to outdress the wedding couple.

That's hillarious! I'd never ever dress down just because I might be outdressing someone if I didn't. Not if what I'm wearing is compliant with my general style of dress. It's not my fault that people chose to attend a wedding in shorts and flip-flops (I'm exaggerating, I know, but still...).

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
That's hillarious! I'd never ever dress down just because I might be outdressing someone if I didn't. Not if what I'm wearing is compliant with my general style of dress. It's not my fault that people chose to attend a wedding in shorts and flip-flops (I'm exaggerating, I know, but still...).
But then you're not in the habit of regularly wearing morning dress or white tie are you ;)? I think Flo meant that wearing formalwear when the groom wears a lounge suit is rude. If you wear a jacket and tie (or any of your usual combinations) to a wedding and end up outdressing the couple then it's just a clear sign that they aren't taking their own wedding seriously in my opinion.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think Flo meant that wearing formalwear when the groom wears a lounge suit is rude.
Yes.

... then it's just a clear sign that they aren't taking their own wedding seriously in my opinion.
Maybe. I think many people just don't have a good taste and don't care about clothes as much as we do. I can't blame them. They probably think other "values" are more important.
IF they do...they shouldn't mind if you dress better than them anyway.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A little late but I stumbled across this.

1937_Jun_Esq_p140.jpg

Informal country daytime.
1937, source blacktieguide.com

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe