Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Something I've never brought up before . . .

Of course, the issue of what type of pants to wear with cowboy boots has probably been beaten to death in some circles, but I'm sure we'd all agree that they should only be worn with jeans (regular fit or boot-cut), khakis, perhaps suits (if you're from Texas), and never with shorts (unless you're a girl). However, I've never seen anyone discuss which shirts to wear with cowboy boots. Let me explain . . . .

I have this weird thing where I'll only wear cowboy boots with button-down shirts (preferably long-sleeved) -- never polo shirts, t-shirts, sweatshirts, hoodies, etc. But lately I've been thinking of giving it another shot. Does anybody have any tips for successfully pulling off cowboy boots with t-shirts, hoodies, polo shirts, etc.?

***Strangely, I'll wear my Red Wing pull-on work boots (which could maybe pass for cowboy boots) with "non-button-down" shirts (perhaps because work boots have a bit more of a casual look about them, thus causing them to complement said shirts more easily).

Why wouldn't any shirt that's appropriate with jeans, khakis or suits when you're not wearing boots be appropriate when you are?

Mercer

One of the Regulars
Why wouldn't any shirt that's appropriate with jeans, khakis or suits when you're not wearing boots be appropriate when you are?

For me, maybe it's the whole cowboy look. Mind you, I don't own a cowboy hat or a huge belt buckle, but I guess it's just that cowboys wear button-down shirts as part of their outfit. Or maybe it's just that none of my boots (the true cowboy ones, mind you, not the pull-on work boots) look TRULY casual (when I refer to "truly casual" cowboy boots, I'm referring to boots with distressed, rough, and / or dull leather -- Justin's Bent Rail line, for example).

For me, maybe it's the whole cowboy look. Mind you, I don't own a cowboy hat or a huge belt buckle, but I guess it's just that cowboys wear button-down shirts as part of their outfit. Or maybe it's just that none of my boots (the true cowboy ones, mind you, not the pull-on work boots) look TRULY casual (when I refer to "truly casual" cowboy boots, I'm referring to boots with distressed, rough, and / or dull leather -- Justin's Bent Rail line, for example).

I guess I've never thought of cowboy boots as anything *other* than really casual. Sure, many guys wear them with a suit, but it never looks right to me. Most of the time, they're with jeans or khakis and whatever shirt you want...polo, tshirt, buttondown, what have you.

And on a side note, many of the real cowboys I know wear tennis shoes and tshirts in the saddle, and only dress the Hollywood part when stepping out.

TipTop

Practically Family
I guess I've never thought of cowboy boots as anything *other* than really casual. Sure, many guys wear them with a suit, but it never looks right to me. Most of the time, they're with jeans or khakis and whatever shirt you want...polo, tshirt, buttondown, what have you.

And on a side note, many of the real cowboys I know wear tennis shoes and tshirts in the saddle, and only dress the Hollywood part when stepping out.

Can't say that I have seen the sneakers in the stirrups (how do they get spurs on them?) but my first visit to the southwest three years ago, (I went prepared with boots, etc.) astonished me that NOBODY was wearing boots, except one of the guys (very plain, conservative, but elegant) working in JB Hill's showroom, ElPaso.

Indeed, here is what we saw at a working horse ranch (where they train cutting horses) in NM:
13140438-lg.jpg

Last edited:
Can't say that I have seen the sneakers in the stirrups (how do they get spurs on them?) but my first visit to the southwest three years ago, (I went prepared with boots, etc.) astonished me that NOBODY was wearing boots, except one of the guys (very plain, conservative, but elegant) working in JB Hill's showroom, ElPaso.

I don't know any cowboys who wear spurs except when they're putting on a show. Most real cowboy work is pretty dull...running cattle, fixin' fences. Some wear cowboy boots, some wear work boots, and some just wear tennis shoes and a ball cap. They usually dress for all day in the sun comfort.

frussell

One Too Many
Odd. I agree that spurs are not always a necessity, but most of the working cowboys I have known (I'm talking about horsemen, not the guys who work cattle on four-wheelers) have spurs on a good deal of the time. There are many types of spurs, suited for all different situations and activities. With some of the old-timers, it can be a struggle to get them to take them off when in town. All my cowboy boots have spur wear on the heel, and I've never put on any kind of show. Different areas, I guess. Frank

Landman

One Too Many
I'm in my mid 50's and was born and raised in south Texas. Almost all of the true working cowboys I have known wore spurs. Once they put them on that day to work cattle they very seldom would take them off. In small towns in south Texas it is still very common to see spurs on in town, especially on auction day at the local livestock auction barn.

Renault

One Too Many
About the only pull on boots I wear anymore are a pair of Justin Ropers. Got some foot issues (comes with old age like all other maladies). Wear them for dress. If I havta dress up for something. Usually a funeral these days.

Somewhere around here I have a nice vintage pair of Texas made Justin roach killers. Just can't wear em anymore. My son who still ranches, has taken to wearing snake boots a bunch.

Odd. I agree that spurs are not always a necessity, but most of the working cowboys I have known (I'm talking about horsemen, not the guys who work cattle on four-wheelers) have spurs on a good deal of the time. There are many types of spurs, suited for all different situations and activities. With some of the old-timers, it can be a struggle to get them to take them off when in town. All my cowboy boots have spur wear on the heel, and I've never put on any kind of show. Different areas, I guess. Frank

I suspect it's as much of a generational thing as it is an area thing.

ingineer

One Too Many
Mike;
Re: the watch , that is a Panerai 3646 homage with a california dial and domed plexiglass crystal.
Italian WWII diver watch, real branded ones start at about 10K
The top one in the pic I built, the wrist shot was built for me. It is 47mm diameter.
I have a few Hamilton 917 movements to build some more, if I wasn't so cheap and lazy.

To keep on topic:
This guy seems light in his loafers some leather fetish, but seems to cover reviews of boots rather well

http://www.bootedman.com/
http://www.bootedman.com/how/howto.html

There used to be sneakers with heels for keeping in the stirrups.

Richard

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Just splashed out on my first ever pair of cowboy boots, some Dan Posts from Sheplers as they have a good sale going at the mo.

Never worn the things but looking forward to getting them. I pretty much live in blue jeans so thought it might be time to see if I could live with cowboy boots as well as it's such an iconic mix.

I'll try and post some pics when they arrive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe