Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Lenore

Practically Family
Today, I was told that I looked like "the modern equivalent of an old fashioned phone operator." What that means, I'm not quite sure. LOL

And I'm baaaaaaaaaaack! :)

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Last week in Iowa at our Midwest Meet up we kept getting asked if we were in a play or what event we were in town for (think they thought a wedding not a FL meet up). We were all asked several times.

Welcome back Lenore

MissHawthorne

New in Town
As I was coming back last weekend, I literally had three people stop me on my way to the train to ask what play I was in. One lady did compliment the dresses I bought from Land o' lakes gal.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Land-O-Lakes Gal and MissHawthorne, Sounds like the Midwest meet up was fun. I wish I could have gone. I was once asked by aa girl if I was an actress. She didn't believe me when I told her no. Last Thursday I went to see Some Like it Hot and The Seven Year Itch. I got a lot of complements on my dress which made me very happy because I made it. I wa really uncomfortable at first because I went to the even alone and I was the only one dressed up but I felt like a minor celebrity by the end of the night.

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
Yesterday I had on this dress in red and a woman approached me in the parking lot of a shop. She told me the dress looked nice on me and asked if I made it. I told her sadly, no, I wish I could sew. Then she said, "My niece is into vintage and you looked vintage." I thanked her.

I also had an elderly gentleman tease me while I was inside the shop, looking at some dishes. My husband and I had entered the shop together, then I stopped to look at dishes while he flitted off, and the elderly gentleman nodded at my dishes and said, "They're plastic, so when you throw them at him, they won't break." I smiled back and said, "Good, we prefer that!" My husband thought it was funny. I love it when men and women in their 70s and 80s feel comfortable approaching me.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
This weekend my boyfriend and I with another friend did a Living History event in the South of England where we portrayed 1930s British Camping.

On the Saturday evening we walked into the local town in our casual camping outfits (me, long wool skirt, sensible brown shoes, rollneck jumper and suede jacket, beret) to find somewhere for dinner and found a lovely French restuarant and bar. We stopped outside to read the menu then went inside where the owner, who was French, was so enthusiastic about our outfits that he asked may he take our picture later? We had such a nice meal and the atmosphere was brilliant. When we left we posed for the pic, all the staff shook hands with us and I got a kiss from the owner.

We felt like real celebrities! We'll definitely go back there again.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been called "a SNOB".
Yes.
Unoriginal as it sounds.. I appear to be a snob in the eyes or others (my age group).
A snob.. just because I said I do NOT wear printed stretchy shirts, but rather prefer a nice button down shirt. And "a snob" just because I don't take my coffee in a plastic cup, but in a porcelain service.
I'm asking you:
ARE WE ALL SNOBS just because we like NICE(er) things? ..or is it just a way of life?

Hm.. I'm not a snob.. I'm just refined! :p

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Today I'm wearing a "vintage inspired" black & white floral cotton shirtwaist dress from Target, Remix black espadrilles, and a black & cream bakelite necklace. I also did a wet set on my hair last night, so it is curlier than usual. So far I've had 2 coworkers compliment me on my shoes, dress & hair. One even said she liked my "curly 1950s hair." LOL.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I came out of the grocery store the other day and a gentleman was taking pictures of my 59 wagon and wanted to to know if I would pose with my car as I was wearing a 50's day dress. He was very polite about it. Funny though how interested others become in out interest.

Lenore

Practically Family
It's not a comment on my vintage, per se.... But my husband was staring at me earlier. When I finally asked him what he was looking at, he said "Your hair isn't curled. It's weird." Butthead...

Isis

One of the Regulars
A friend of mine was sitting on the train last week. We both wore 50's shirtwaist dresses though hers was red and mine blue. We are similar in height and build, but we are not particulary alike. She has long red hair in bangs and I wore my brown hair curled with a side parting. The conductor asked us if we were sisters, and later returned to insist that we must be twins. I doubt that he would have thought that if we hadn't happen to choose the same vintage style that day when it came to dressing.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I doubt that he would have thought that if we hadn't happen to choose the same vintage style that day when it came to dressing.

That's kind of ignorant of the conductor. He only sees the style, not the people. The style is apart of the people, not completely of them!

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
A friend of mine was sitting on the train last week. We both wore 50's shirtwaist dresses though hers was red and mine blue. We are similar in height and build, but we are not particulary alike. She has long red hair in bangs and I wore my brown hair curled with a side parting. The conductor asked us if we were sisters, and later returned to insist that we must be twins. I doubt that he would have thought that if we hadn't happen to choose the same vintage style that day when it came to dressing.

I think someone was just flirting with the two of you! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld