Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Miss G, I'm drooling thinking about pairing that red velvet with a sedate gray wool dress and red shoes... I think I have such a dress. Mind if I borrow your hat? ;)

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Miss Golightly, those caps are to die for! No-one should fear the hat, it's such a wonderful way to brighten up a so-so outfit.

Today, whilst buying my dog a harness at a certain infamous big-box store, I had a strange, sweet little dialogue with the checkout clerk. She complimented my dress (a little gingham '50s number you can see here), but before I could get out a thank-you, she proceeded to ask if I was in a play :(. I was kinda shocked, and said something about it being just an ol' summer dress, to which she explained that I just reminded her of Dorothy. Well, Judy Garland's a cutie, it's not the worst thing I could be compared to.

As I was walking away, I overheard her and another checkout girl gush over how it was the cutest dress they'd ever seen! Aww.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Gracie Lee - anytime my dear!!!!!! You're right - grey and red would be fab and just happens to be one of my favourite colour combos!

Rodeo Rose - that's so cute "do not fear the hat"! - you are so right - I've always worn hats in Winter and my choices so far have been pretty safe so perhaps this year I should grab the bull by the horns (can't say I'll be doing a His Girl Friday hat just yet though - I'd need to ease myself in gently!).

I just love that gingham dress on you - it's so sweet! I can see how gingham will be forever associated with Dorothy but like you said she was a cutie so all good!

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I adore those hats! I'm such a barbarian, I'd wear them with a pair of black jeans and a cute top. I don't have much in the way of vintage clothes (yet), so I decided that hats go with anything. I haven't tried this theory with shorts, but I figure when I have the clothes it's no big jump to wear them- since I've already worked up my nerve using accessories.

I had a nice little talk with a clerk at Le Target. She wanted to know what the name was for the pin I was wearing, (it's a brooch dear girl). Her grandmother had died, and she had left her a whole box of "jewelry like that". Was it worth anything, and did people still wear that kind of thing? I really hope she decided to wear her new/old bling.

rue

Tonight I was looking at a certain thread here in admiration and I said out loud without thinking "I want to look like this, but for some reason I feel like I'm not getting it right". Well, my fifteen year old daughter overheard me, looked at the pictures and said "It's because they look like they're in a movie and you look like you're a real person from the 40s. You're pretty, but in a real way".
It's silly and so not true, but that just made my heart melt and I had to share it. I just love her :)

MikePotts

Practically Family
Miss Golightly,
I remember a time, before you were born, that my family and I vacationed on the South coast of your fair land, we based ourselves in Courtmacsherry but travelled to Youghal, Cobh, Kinsale, Cork and many other warm and welcoming towns. It was, without doubt, the happiest time of my life, never have I met such friendly people. I hope it is the same these days and that I may revisit soon,

MP

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Tonight I was looking at a certain thread here in admiration and I said out loud without thinking "I want to look like this, but for some reason I feel like I'm not getting it right". Well, my fifteen year old daughter overheard me, looked at the pictures and said "It's because they look like they're in a movie and you look like you're a real person from the 40s. You're pretty, but in a real way".
It's silly and so not true, but that just made my heart melt and I had to share it. I just love her :)

That is a lovely comment :) It's always the unexpected ones from the people we love that warm our hearts, I find!

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
"Gah, you always look just so...COOL!"

I enjoyed that one. :) (from a fellow swing dancer so it makes it all the better)

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I adore those hats! I'm such a barbarian, I'd wear them with a pair of black jeans and a cute top.

This made me laugh! Thank you!

Miss Golightly,
I remember a time, before you were born, that my family and I vacationed on the South coast of your fair land, we based ourselves in Courtmacsherry but travelled to Youghal, Cobh, Kinsale, Cork and many other warm and welcoming towns. It was, without doubt, the happiest time of my life, never have I met such friendly people. I hope it is the same these days and that I may revisit soon,

MP

Aw that's lovely! You visited some extraordinarily beautiful places (I just hope the weather was kind to you!) and I hope you get to visit them again and they bring back all those fabulous memories.

Rue - your daughter sounds like a complete dote!

Puzzicato

One Too Many

Oh that's so sweet!

rue

C-dot, sheeplady, Drappa, Miss Golightly, Puzzicato

Thank you girls... she still has her "I love mommy" moments, so I can't complain too much when she's a being a "typical teenager" and I have to admit to a tear or two when I wrote it here :)
I will put it in my journal SheepLady. Thank you for reminding me I need to start writing in it again. It's been collecting dust for awhile ;)

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Last night I went to an Irish pub, where there was a live band playing. I wore my favourite Vivien of Holloway circle dress. The singer looked just like Joni Mitchell, and they sang a lot of classic rock songs. As I walked by them to the bar, the singer said into her microphone "that is one gorgeous dress! Our next song is for you!" They played Runaway by Del Shannon :)

When I got back to my table, my boyfriend was doubled over laughing. I got a lot of smiles that night!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Last night, my husband decided that I didn't need to spend an hour in the hot kitchen (we're experiencing a 3-day heatwave with temps over 100F/40.5C). We took the kids out to our favorite restaurant and I had a feeling that all the waitresses were starring at me. During the whole meal, several different waitresses made excuses to come to out table. I was feeling very self-conscious, that maybe I was too costumey that day (40s dress, saddle shoes, hair in a snood). Finally, after we had paid the check and were making our way to the door, one of the waitresses came running up to me and shyly told me that she loved my hair. It felt great!

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
kamikat - that is such a lovely comment from the waitress!

I know that I often get "strange" looks which in turn makes me feel completely uncomfortable, so when someone actually gets around to saying something nice, it does not actually feel like one [huh]

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
Thank you! There are still gentlemen on this planet! lol :) I like to think that not all guys are portrayed as those idiots or as badly as men are portrayed in the media. It's too bad that when things like that get portrayed in the media so much, that people start believing that to be the truth. Luckily most of the guys I have ever known are really cool nice people. Then there were the few that were not so much.

Thank you! As they say "behind every great man is a beautiful woman..... and behind every gentleman stands his mother!" lol.

Let's get married.

C-Dot, thank you for the invitation but last Sunday marked the one month anniversary of my wedding.
264790_10150248786358938_609593937_7429381_3317437_n.jpg

I'm sure you'll find someone, there ARE other gentlemen out there, and your style is intriguing - especially that hair. ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld