Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I was out to dinner the other week with my husband - was wearing an R&K LBD, white Ungaro wool coat, black suede shoes, black and leopard print gloves with matching purse any my hair up on top of my head in a donut (the hairpiece - not a cake! - like Audrey in Charade) - when I went into the restaurant the lady Maitre D said "Come on in Glamour Girl!" - that was nice to hear!

Drappa

One Too Many
Well, you are very glamorous Miss G!

I went to have an eye test done the other day and was wearing a big mustard box pleated and belted skirt with a crinoline, a twin set, a matching bag and heels. The opticians kept whispering amongst each other and as I was paying said they just had to know where I got my skirt. They also said it was beautiful and that they liked my entire outfit, down to the bag. It made my day:)

rue

^ funny I had a similar experience at the eye doctor too, though not quite as sweet. The optician kept staring at me and finally pointed at my saddle shoes and said she hadn't seen them for ages and that they really fit me.
I had the feeling she wanted to comment on something, but that's all she could come up with lol

LittleMissToniJo

One of the Regulars
I think people identify easier with a show or movie star than an actual era, which is why they often make the comparison. Either way sometimes the comments can be completely inaccurate or utterly flattering.

I get "Betty Draper" a lot, which is funny considering I usually go for a 30's/40's look. I am still overwhelmingly flattered every time though!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was told by a good friend the other day that I had "such a sense of style" and never looked "off the rack." I had my hair rolled and some nice stockings on. I was also told by a gentleman over the weekend that I was dressed very nicely and I was "very pretty." I was dressed more 80s though- denium frock dress and cowboy boots with 60s lipstick and heavy jewerly, which I call my 'punk country look'. (I have never had a stranger tell me I was pretty so I was preening myself all day. I am still preening, so he made my week.)

The only thing I find disturbing is that I have noticed that people tend to stare a lot. A portion of people don't seem to avert their eyes or smile when I make eye contact and smile at them, they just keep staring with a blank expression on their face. If they smile back, look away, or even giggle this seems at least normal, but the staring for a long time with no recognition that that I have made eye contact is something I have not experienced when dressed non-vintage.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
The only thing I find disturbing is that I have noticed that people tend to stare a lot. A portion of people don't seem to avert their eyes or smile when I make eye contact and smile at them, they just keep staring with a blank expression on their face. If they smile back, look away, or even giggle this seems at least normal, but the staring for a long time with no recognition that that I have made eye contact is something I have not experienced when dressed non-vintage.

Haha, I know "the stare" quite well, and I'm sure a lot of other vintage girls here do as well! I usually stare right back, not at all agressively, but just equally curious as to who this person is who thinks it's polite to treat me like a zoo animal. That usually does the trick ;). It's really annoying, though, and tends to make me feel kind of down about myself for a while. I mean, some people downright gawk-- even if they're admiring my outfit, it's really unsettling.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Haha, I know "the stare" quite well, and I'm sure a lot of other vintage girls here do as well! I usually stare right back, not at all agressively, but just equally curious as to who this person is who thinks it's polite to treat me like a zoo animal. That usually does the trick ;). It's really annoying, though, and tends to make me feel kind of down about myself for a while. I mean, some people downright gawk-- even if they're admiring my outfit, it's really unsettling.

yep indeed! I get that "stare" quite a lot too.. especially around the area where I live, where I really stand out and I'm sure by now I'm known around the area... what they call me I do not know! And it's probably best that way :D But I carry my head high and so far I haven't had any comments or been bothered in any way (this is not an area where people give compliments to strangers! Or smile at strangers for that matter). My boyfriend quite regularly gets comments that are a bit borderline rude... just tonight when we were out having dinner some people on the table next to us said "oh look at blues brothers over there"... Even if it's not a big insult, it's rude to make comments about someone who can hear you, but not address the person in question!

Juliet

A-List Customer
Oh, the stare! I usually stare right back and raise my eyebrows in question. Usually gets them to back off.
Actually, a lot of people here in Hungary stare that way. Not necessarily at an unusual outfit, just at something that interests them. Another reason I don't like it here))))

LinaSofia
I honestly don't know why people think it acceptable to mouth off to strangers. One would think that if they don't approve they could stare in any other direction!
This brings to mind Christie's Death in the Clouds. The scene where Lady Horbury notices Poirot listening to their conversation, and staring right at him, says to her companion: "Frenchmen are so rude, don't you think darling?"

BettyMaraschino

Familiar Face
I think we all know of the stare! I'm in the middle of moving to a new area a few miles from where I was. Everyone in my new area seem shocked that anyone could make an effort with their looks, never mind style their hair, wear makeup or god forbid NOT wear sports clothing. So I'm getting "the stare" every time I leave the house at the moment. :D

I had a gentleman start talking to me with the line "I've seen you around in the town center, is it true girls like you don't like mobile phones?" then proceeded to ask for my number!!
Obviously I'm of a generation where you don't try to insult someone before asking for their number haha.

rue

"is it true girls like you don't like mobile phones?" then proceeded to ask for my number!!" :rofl: People are so odd. I hope you didn't give it to him.

I thought I was the only one that got that weird blank stare. It's very odd.

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Ah the stare, I know it too well!
It always amuses me when I make eye contact with the person staring, as it usually frightens them half to death, and makes them feel uncomfortable too… just like they make me feel uncomfortable-HA!

Another thing that made me chuckle (not a comment- but actions speak louder than words and all that…) is when I was in London, travelling on the tube and there was a row of empty seats. I decided to settle in one- with a seat to my left and several to my right. The tube was busy and passengers were hopping on all the time- no one sat next to me (hehe) People would sit opposite, they would stand, people even passed to sit or stand in another full carriage- but no one sat next to me! Hehe I thought this was grand- yes, I have powers to clear the space on the underground!:D
I know I’m scary and different but not that scary, surely!!!

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
used lisa freemont st tutorial for faux bettie bangs and loved how it came out, this will be my new go to hair do since it is so cute and so easy, anywhoo....i went to pick up my oldest son from school to take him to the dr. and when he saw me he said "ahh mom your hair looks tight you look like bettie page" hahahaha nice to hear a compliment from my high schooler. then at the dr. office the dr. said you look like katy perry....me: uugghh i dont like katy perry Dr.: me either, but you look like her or that other pin up girl from the 40's or 50's? whats her name? my son: bettie page dr. yes bettie page. so i guess i got confirmation that i got the look i wanted :)

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
The tube was busy and passengers were hopping on all the time- no one sat next to me (hehe) People would sit opposite, they would stand, people even passed to sit or stand in another full carriage- but no one sat next to me! Hehe I thought this was grand- yes, I have powers to clear the space on the underground!:D
I know I’m scary and different but not that scary, surely!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to! I swear, no matter how packed the public transit bus I take to town is, people *never* want to sit next to me, and when a brave soul does take the seat next to mine, they seem to cling to the edge of their seat to keep as much space between us as possible. I'm not that repulsive, am I? lol

What some of my friends have told me is that I come off as super intimidating; I'm fairly reserved and quiet around people I don't know, and when that's combined with my expensive/fancy looking clothes (really, all antique store/flea market bargains!) people just assume I'm "above them" and sort of snobbish, although I'm really nothing of the kind. I wonder if that's what's going on a lot when people seem rude?

Isis

One of the Regulars
I often get, from men, comments that I "look like a real woman". I do understand that it's meant as a compliment, but I dislike that as it implies that only a woman who wears skirt, high-heels and make-up are real women.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Not just me. Phew. Why do they keep staring???

Maybe they think I'm a ghost. Maybe I should just look at them and go "whhooooohhh."

... people just assume I'm "above them" and sort of snobbish, although I'm really nothing of the kind. I wonder if that's what's going on a lot when people seem rude?

Hmmm. This might be it. I've also noticed that a lot of girls here get compliments and questions about being models. Maybe they are trying to figure out what movie we are in or what event we are attending? Since we are all models?

Nobody sits near me on the bus either. :eek: This, although somewhat embarrassing, does give me more room.

Romy Overdorp

One of the Regulars
Today on the bus: a girl who kept staring and staring and staring...It was creepy!
I wanted to ask her what she found interesting but she creeped me out big time so I didn't.

Two elderly ladies liked my style and where making nice comments about my hair and my coat :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe