Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Color of 1930s-40s dress shirts?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Yep, those old time Hollywood cameras were finicky beasts in regards to coloring and makeup. One of the reasons Cary Grant kept such a dark year-round tan was that it allowed him to forgo wearing makeup on camera. The stuff was not very comfortable to wear and required constant upkeep throughout the day.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
This thread makes me want to rephrase the question to Why would you wear a white shirt when so many other colors were available??

As Tom Paine said, "These are the times that try men's souls."

BowlofRice's first question --whether it's okay to wear a non-white dress shirt with his '30s ensemble-- was very reasonable. It has been amply answered. The short response: "YES".

Last edited:

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
This thread makes me want to rephrase the question to Why would you wear a white shirt when so many other colors were available??

Because white is safe? It's pretty difficult to screw up an outfit by chosing a white shirt.

Sadly, not all of us are gifted with the sartorial aplomb regularly displayed by a quite a few Loungers.

Edward

Bartender
White is a safe choice, that's true. It can also be perceived as more 'formal'. A particularly loud tie might also be well set off with a sober suit and a white shirt, thus avoiding too many heavy clashes. It also 'goes with everything', if you're seeking a capsule working or holiday or, indeed, business trip wardrobe. The other thing is that if you prefer certain details on a shirt (such as one with a pin collar and double cuffs) it can sometimes be harder to find that in anything other than white.

So true. Heck, even George Reeves wore a brown costume in the black and white TV episodes of Superman...

Oh, now that's I'd love to see a colour photo of!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
XFACTUNIF001.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Of course I understand the practical and necessary use of a white shirt.
Considering how much variety there was in shirtings I was having fun with the original question. ;)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I guess too much variety can make things difficult. I imagine I'd just flip a coin or I'd never be able to decide which shirting to choose. :D

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm curious if anyone has seen any shirts like the ones in the upper left side of this photo? New or old it doesn't matter, but I have yet to see any such styled shirts and I want one!
Me too!

There you go, although it looks more grey rather than the brown color often mentioned by authors on the subject...
I think the red parts are brown on this one.

Feraud

Bartender
I'm curious if anyone has seen any shirts like the ones in the upper left side of this photo? New or old it doesn't matter, but I have yet to see any such styled shirts and I want one!
I've something similar. Shirts in interesting patterns are not common but pop up once in a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe