Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldest Weather I've been in

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Canadian here, this September has been the nicest and warmest I remember. All summer was nice, never very hot and lots of rain. I know that doesn't sound good but the farmers are happy everything growing like mad.

Stand By

One Too Many
And no more damned mosquito bites thanks to the warm, wet summer. I've had quite enough of those for another season. If I wasn't going by "Stand By", I could use "After Bite". I should have shares in the darn stuff.
The cool feels sooo good.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Stanley Doble said:
Canadian here, this September has been the nicest and warmest I remember. All summer was nice, never very hot and lots of rain. I know that doesn't sound good but the farmers are happy everything growing like mad.
The farmer a couple doors down is on his third crop, I think. On the other hand, a second damp summer in a row means the basement never really dried out like it usually does and I'm expecting that when I eventually move my boxes of books out most will have to be junked. 17 years of a warm dry basement was fine for storing books, but a few damp summers and that changes quickly.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I hear you, Jaoa. I went home one time in the late Autumn for 2 weeks and the only jacket I took was my Irvin - and the sodding wind and rain was relentless the entire time. That collar started to feel like a dead drowned cat around my neck after a few days. The rain was ridiculous - the way the rain was lashing the windows, it was like being at the bottom end of a wind tunnel with a man standing at the top end and he was holding a hose (that's life on the top of Sheffield's tallest hill!).
And, having been away for a while, my family showed how much they missed me by each member taking me to the pub - and drinking to excess tends to lower my immune system a bit - and it's alright for them as it's a tag-team event, but for me, it's just me and my one liver. Suffice to say, by the time I came back to Canada, I came down with my first ever - and only - chest infection.
Visit in July.

I've been in Scotland in October, April and February. I think April was the worst of those months, my poor Stetson 4X beaver almost didn't make it, it was always wet the entire week I've been there.
February was cold and icy, but no constant rain! Still was able to climb Holyrood Park hills (Edimburg) with my harness boots and only fall twice on the decent.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Welp.... I got 5 inches of rain in 24 hours and now Hurricane Joaquin is headed my way.... When it rains.... it pours or so the girl with the salt shaker says... Chilly and breezey today once the monsoon ended. Wore a MC jacket to the grocery store, then around 6 I warmed up a mug o' Joe, grabbed my B-10 and sat out on my front porch in supreme comfort. Pike Bros. B-10 still feels a bit "over stuffed" if you ask me but it does keep one toasty while sittin' still!

Worf

Stand By

One Too Many
So yesterday I said "What a difference a day makes" as we went from shorts and t-shirt weather to my heavy cargo pants and ANJ-3.
This morning I wore my ANJ-3 again for the first pre-dawn dog walk - and needed to switch up to the ELC B-6 for the second! It was that chilly with the 5C and the brisk wind! Pulling out the Irvin wouldn't have been amiss. But I didn't as there's gonna be plenty of time to come for that ...
What a difference yet another day makes …!

ingineer

One Too Many
The USN / guvment finally got it right , so now they are going to change it again.
Best foul weather parka i've ever owned.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Sitting in Dinard, Normandy it's sunny and 20C, but the breeze means I'm wearing my BR sweatshirt to enjoy a coffee out on the street - this Continental living could become addictive.

Stand By

One Too Many
Stand By, did you enjoy today's temps? Never warmed up in my parts, despite the sun shining clear for most of the day.

I had the B-6 on for both dog walks this morning - and the ELC C-3 under that (!), so YES, I did enjoy this morning's walk, thank you DD - like yesterday's.
But what tires me in this city is the wind. I know Chicago is known as "the windy city", but being on a mountain bike every day in four seasons, I can say that Toronto has the flukiest wind I've ever known. I grew up in Sheffield on its tallest hill, so I know wind very well, but there it's usually a consistent west wind - but here?!? I have a frickin' headwind in both directions every darn day. It's the lake effect. There's a flag pole in the park systems that I ride through and it has a Canadian flag on top, and I kid you not - I have seen that flag blowing and do a full 360 degrees before my eyes! I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it for myself. So on a fixed-gear bike, it's a grind and a daily workout (and yet, infinitely better than being on the cattle cars in the subway!!!). But that's on the bikes.
For the walks in my jackets, oh, I'm loving the cool temps. Putting the duvet on the bed tonight.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
Welp.... I got 5 inches of rain in 24 hours and now Hurricane Joaquin is headed my way.... When it rains.... it pours or so the girl with the salt shaker says... Chilly and breezey today once the monsoon ended. Wore a MC jacket to the grocery store, then around 6 I warmed up a mug o' Joe, grabbed my B-10 and sat out on my front porch in supreme comfort. Pike Bros. B-10 still feels a bit "over stuffed" if you ask me but it does keep one toasty while sittin' still!

Worf
NYC is getting drenched in a Nor'easter (a prelude to Hurricane Joaquin); cold and raw with gusty winds and lots of rain. Walked around the city for about 90 minutes in my LW goatskin Raider and was warm and dry. The LW goatskin is just as tough as their HH.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Finally, dipped into the 50s F this morning, around 12c. Put on the Barbour International for the ride to our club meeting, a bit chilly! After the meeting, I went to work on my house, when I got out, it was to hot for the jacket, so I left it there, will have to take some bungee cords along tomorrow.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
The coldest I've ever been in was I stuck my head out the window last year on a day when it was -40 degrees Fahrenheit (and that was without the windchill!) It was cold enough to instantly powderize a cup of warm water.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe