Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldest Weather I've been in

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
Driving on solid ice is no end of laughs.
A couple of days ago I was stopped in a traffic jam at the bottom of an icy hill with a jack-knifed fifty three foot long truck coming down the road sideways towards me. More than a little worrying.
Luckily the driver regained control just in time, but I think the skid marks will be visible for years to come.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Driving on solid ice is no end of laughs.
A couple of days ago I was stopped in a traffic jam at the bottom of an icy hill with a jack-knifed fifty three foot long truck coming down the road sideways towards me. More than a little worrying.
Luckily the driver regained control just in time, but I think the skid marks will be visible for years to come.

The trucks or yours? Sorry... couldn't resisst!

Worf

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Most recent coldest - it was -40'F below (with wind chill), high air temp of -5'F end of last week in my corner of Minnesota. Our weather is much warmer during the winter (I recall normals being a low of 5' and highs at a toasty 15-20'F) at this time of Feb. In this past weeks cold, no leather coat for me, but I pull on a Filson Packer, scarf and warm cap. A pic taken at a different time is below. Last week when it was cold, NO way was I going to brave a selfie!

i-C6G8HDj-S.jpg

FYI: I post on rare occasion in the outerwear portion of the Fedora Lounge, but visit it on occasion and truly enjoy the postings. Cheers to all posters!

Best, Eric -

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Digging out today. More snow Wednesday through Saturday! When I was 19, I only scooped my driveway, now that I am three times that, I do my drive and two neighbors. Something is backwards there!

bbq

Familiar Face
No digital documentation, but in the early '70s my wife and I lived in cabin in the Maine woods. She reminded me that one night was -35 F and that her nostrils froze together.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday we had almost 2" of ice fall on us in N Texas in some locations. Drivers here engaging in bumper pin ball activity, Texas style. Supposed to have 1-3" of snow tonight on top of the ice. Should be interesting road conditions tomorrow with Bubba hauling a** in his pickup truck driving 70 mph on snow with black ice buried underneath the snow. :eeek:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
The worst of it is the SUV drivers who think 4 wheel drive makes them Superman. Not so, 4wd means you can keep going but your steering and brakes are no better than granny's minivan.

Count the SUVs you see in the ditch tomorrow but try to stay out of their way when they get crossed up.

Another thing most people don't know. Antilock brakes stop SLOWER than regular brakes. How many cars crash right into the car in front when the driver has full pressure on the brake pedal. The car just won't slow down the way it will with regular brakes.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Stanley Doble said:
The worst of it is the SUV drivers who think 4 wheel drive makes them Superman. Not so, 4wd means you can keep going but your steering and brakes are no better than granny's minivan. Count the SUVs you see in the ditch tomorrow but try to stay out of their way when they get crossed up.
i.e. Lincoln Navigator or some similar p.o.s. is usually the first vehicle in the ditch.
Another thing most people don't know. Antilock brakes stop SLOWER than regular brakes. How many cars crash right into the car in front when the driver has full pressure on the brake pedal. The car just won't slow down the way it will with regular brakes.
Yes and no. I've had both and despite certain situational drawbacks, I'll still take the car with ABS than without. Unless we're talking a Sunfire with ABS versus a 1980s BMW or MB without. The ABS on my 1987 E28 stopped working around 1999 or 2000 and it wasn't worth fixing since the car was so well sorted out I did fine without.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Fanch said:
Yesterday we had almost 2" of ice fall on us in N Texas in some locations. Drivers here engaging in bumper pin ball activity, Texas style. Supposed to have 1-3" of snow tonight on top of the ice. Should be interesting road conditions tomorrow with Bubba hauling a** in his pickup truck driving 70 mph on snow with black ice buried underneath the snow. :eeek:
Several years back I was on a divided highway in slippery conditions during rush hour. The inevitable sudden panic stop arrived on schedule and everyone slammed on the brakes. The cars slid to a stop in a straight line. The SUVs started rocking side to side but came to a stop in a straight line, barely. The pickup trucks started fishtailing and almost caused accidents. Pickup trucks are for carrying cargo and should be driven by farmers and construction workers. SUVs should be driven by people who need to have enclosed passenger and cargo space for off-road use. Cars should be driven by everyone else, which is 99.99999999% of people. Yeah, I know, I'm a "freedom hater" and I'm trying to ruin people's "god given right to drive whatever they want" but I have a right to be safe on public roads, which by the way I pay for.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
40s yesterday, but back to freezing, then rain followed by snow! Which reminds me, we have two seasons here, winter and "Road Construction!"

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
If the talk is about pick up trucks, my opinion is that all North American ones are insane. They may be fine as a tractor unit for towing a trailer, but as a work vehicle, the bed is too high, engine too big, payload about good enough to carry a teabag, and all in all they are too flash (just like the people who drive them). Once you start driving a rear wheel drive on ice, with no weight over the drive wheels, it is a disaster in the making.
For a work truck you cannot beat the old Peugeot 504, or the Third World's paramilitary truck of choice, the Toyota HiLux, and if you don't need a work truck, you don't need a truck.

Back on topic, my old wool coats are getting threadbare, but when the windchill is pushing minus forty, my new leather jerkin over the top made the difference between comfort and misery.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Bubba is alive and well in Oklahoma (and Texas). :D This morning we got only a light dusting of snow. I imagine Oklahoma didn't escape though.

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
-25 yesterday and I can tell you that heavier hide isn't warmer than light goat or lamb. LOL. It's all liner.

Stand By

One Too Many
Even though this has now been officially named as the coldest February in 100 years, I'm riding the park systems to and from work (testament to how much I loathe taking public cattle cars!) and last Thursday I rode in to work and nothing was out of the ordinary ...
On the way home, I came across an igloo (!) - like it just sprang up! And not just an igloo but iceworks too! I'm used to seeing the odd snowman, but this says it all!
I put my bike beside it to give a sense of scale.

Igloo#2.JPG Igloo#1.JPG

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I switched from pickup trucks to minivans about 15 years ago. Cheaper to buy, cheaper on gas, better ride, more comfortable, safer, front wheel drive makes driving in snow, rain and ice a breeze. Will do about 90% of what a pickup will, and for other times, like when I have to haul a stove or fridge, or make a dump run, I have a trailer. The trailer only gets used 3 or 4 times a year and is actually more convenient than a pickup in most cases. For example when I am doing a renovation job I can park the trailer next to the house and throw all the junk in as I work, when it is full after a week or so just hook up and go to the dump. This saves handling all the junk twice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe