Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldest Weather I've been in

Stand By

One Too Many
Being located close by, I'm getting the same weather he's getting, and it's been savagely cold overnight the last few nights. He is indeed lucky to be alive. Good thing he was wearing those serious clothes otherwise he wouldn't have lasted as long as he did.

And lucky I chose to wear my thickest No.1 wool sweater too - you're right!

Thanks for the well wishes, fellas. Really. Thank you all.
It's funny - I've been debating what to paint on the back panel of my ANJ-3 these past couple of months - and as you may recall, the jacket is a bit of a personal tribute to the dogs we've rescued from Texas, and I'd compiled a list of possible names and my favourite was "Doghouse" (a B-17) - and I asked Will and Amanda at AL for their opinions and sent them the possible names with photos of the templates - and they surprised me by opting for Lucky Dog (a B-29).
As of this, I'm going with Lucky Dog !

I recall my old doctor showing me his old Irvin from his days in the Fleet Air Arm (he flew in Swordfish) and he said it had "been in the drink" with him a couple of times - meaning the Atlantic Ocean - and this was just a taste of that and it was more than enough.
Oh, and Willow is a golden lab-German sheperd mix, which is why she was so heavy to try and haul out of the river ... and when I finally managed to get to the path on my hands and knees, there she was joyfully chasing squirrels up trees having a great morning ....!!!
We're both lucky dogs.
A warm bath beckons tonight ....

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I recall my old doctor showing me his old Irvin from his days in the Fleet Air Arm (he flew in Swordfish) and he said it had "been in the drink" with him a couple of times - meaning the Atlantic Ocean - and this was just a taste of that and it was more than enough.

That reminds me of my Dad's father (who sadly died before I was born) who spent 45 minutes in the North Sea after his Royal Navy ship was sunk during the Battle of Jutland. Many years later he told my father over a beer that he was seriously worried at the time whether he would ever be able to have children as the cold had reduced certain parts of his anatomy to the size of peanuts!

Stand By

One Too Many
That's funny you mention that, Smithy - For decency's sake, I omitted that part of the story when I got to my shower.
Mine were like two frozen peas.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That's funny you mention that, Smithy - For decency's sake, I omitted that part of the story when I got to my shower.
Mine were like two frozen peas.

Well apparently it's a temporary problem which soon wears off, the old boy sired two children so no permanent damage done!

Hope that hot shower helped and you treated yourself to a brandy and a hot coffee ;)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Helluva tale there SB. You're a good man to dive in after a dog.... stupid dog if I may be allowed to add. Me... I can't swim a lick... Fido would have to swim for it or wait for the rescue squad. No sense both of us dying. Do you think the pooch would've bitten and held onto say... a scarf or belt so you could've pulled him or her loose?

Worf

Stand By

One Too Many
Helluva tale there SB. You're a good man to dive in after a dog.... stupid dog if I may be allowed to add. Me... I can't swim a lick... Fido would have to swim for it or wait for the rescue squad. No sense both of us dying. Do you think the pooch would've bitten and held onto say... a scarf or belt so you could've pulled him or her loose?

Worf

Alas no, Worf. Willow's all blonde - she's not that smart !

Today, my upper arms are aching like crazy - from all the heaving, pushing and pulling ... I'm not used to that.
My Blundstones are still sodden - but my jacket dried nicely and surprisingly, I noticed that the lower half of my Irvin has developed a nice "nubby" texture in the fleece - it looks nicely original and aged ! Who knew ?!?! :)

frussell

One Too Many
Worf - as someone who used to ride horses a lot with dogs in tow, and has had to pull dogs out of many different kinds of dangerous situations, I can say I've seen none that had the presence of mind to bite onto a rescue object. They are panicked, even the smart ones, especially in cold water or mud, and are likely to bite you if anxious enough. For that reason, I started tying a rope on to my saddle. Less to look like a real cowboy, more because I remember how many times my grandpa's Rottweiler bit me when I tried to pull him out of a bog. Stand By - you are indeed brave, and lucky, as mentioned.

Stand By

One Too Many
Worf - as someone who used to ride horses a lot with dogs in tow, and has had to pull dogs out of many different kinds of dangerous situations, I can say I've seen none that had the presence of mind to bite onto a rescue object. They are panicked, even the smart ones, especially in cold water or mud, and are likely to bite you if anxious enough. For that reason, I started tying a rope on to my saddle. Less to look like a real cowboy, more because I remember how many times my grandpa's Rottweiler bit me when I tried to pull him out of a bog. Stand By - you are indeed brave, and lucky, as mentioned.

All very interesting there! And I'm sure you look the part on the saddle too.

And what you say merely confirms to me that Willlow wasn't going to have the smarts to grab anyhting I lowered down (and I carry a spare leash in case I happen upon a stray or something). I mean ... look at her! She'd think "Are we playing now?"

Thanks to all again for the kind comments. They're sincerely appreciated!
Stand By (AKA "Lucky Dog" - and I'll post photos of the ANJ-3 with the new name when its done)

Attachments

• TexasBlonde.JPG
    TexasBlonde.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 190

Stand By

One Too Many
Is it just me, or does Willow's expression shout 'Yup, that was a close one!' :)

Oh, she had NO idea of how close it was, Sloan. I clambered out of the river and up on to the path on my hands and knees - and there was Willow - chasing squirrels up trees!

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Glad you're OK 'Stand By' & 'Willow' too....can see me diving in after my mutt & she's a Blonde too

IMG_0275.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Stand By, are you now being treated for pneumonia? Any body parts lost to frostbite? All levity aside, you are fortunate to have survived. :eeek:

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks for the concern there, Fanch. All bits and pieces are accounted for - no losses to frostbite!
And I didn't mention that whilst I was on my hands and knees, our Rottie was leaping and barking at me and then gave me a really good pounce (he's 115lbs, so it didn't go un-noticed!) and knocked me over as he thought I was playing !!! I yelled at him to stop (as I knew I had to get home and warm as fast as I could and it was NO time for fun and games) but the more I tried to get him to calm down - and I tried to catch him - the more he loved that game !!!

CatFlapped.JPG

And I'm sure you'd be in after your blonde too, BN1966 - they're family. Just make sure you wear your Irvin is all !

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe