Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coffee Spill!!

ufguy11

One of the Regulars
Okay. This morning I was going to go browsing through antiques at a festival. Before I went I stopped by Einstein's Bagels and got coffee. Unaware of how stupid I was being, I put my beaver blend hat on the table. I was getting up to get some napkins and knocked my coffee over and spilled it all over the back of the hat. I couldn't do anything at the moment so I just got napkins and try to dry it off. Is there any way I can get this huge coffee stain off my hat?

Thanks
J.J.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
age of stain may make the difference

What mark said was
"I've tried Naphtha to clean old liquid stains (coffee, gravy, soup) found on vintage ties (50+ years old). Tried dabbing, rubbing and even soaking. No luck. The stains were too set in.

The Naphtha didn't hurt the ties, but didn't help them either. Guess it depends on the stain."

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
But this is what Pilgrim said:
"I would guess that naphtha would be most effective on oily (hair oil, finger marks) or petrochemical-based stains; probably wouldn't do much for water stains or other marks that didn't involve a substance soluble in naphtha."

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Logic:

Water was the carrier that put the stain in there; water is probably the best solvent to attack it. Woolite sounds like a good bet to get the minerals out of the felt, but the essence is SPEED. I would be dampening that hat NOW. if nothing else, water should spread out the minerals and make them less noticeable...essentially an exercise in felt chromatography.

The worst that can heppen? Professional cleaning.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Personally, I would let it dry and tackle it with a hat-sponge, aka hat eraser. I clean most hats without chemicals or solvents just using this tool, and it should surely work on a coffee stain. It's worked on much worse, and the felt is never saturated with anything. Just loosens the fibers and removes the stain. Then, applying steam to restore the finish.
Let me know if I can help.
Duane

ufguy11

One of the Regulars
Where can I get a hat sponge? And, this is another stupid question, how can I steam my hat back? I'm not very experienced at restoring hats.

Thanks,

J.J.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a mark on my grey Borsalino Homburg that doesn't respond to a hat sponge. I'm afraid it may be ballpoint ink. The hat's dingy and in need of a general cleaning and a reblock anyhow, I may just send it to Art or Duane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld