Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coffee soup

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I believe the reason you guys think this is gross is because American bread in general is totally disgusting. ^^

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso I was in San Francisco in March. Sounds like you've never eaten real good bread. :)

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
yeah... I want my coffee in a cup. I greatly dislike dunking of anything, so I can't see the appeal of coffee over bread. I don't even like iced coffee.

Now leftover rice, warmed up, with butter, sugar, and milk. Too yummy. My mom does the milk (or buttermilk) over cornbread thing, which I also don't get.

Pompidou

One Too Many
216772_1868094271498_1515318688_31480285_6090241_n.jpg

I made some just now. It's exactly what you'd expect.

EDIT: I'd probably like it better black. I don't put cream and sugar in my coffee most of the time.

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Actually it doesn't sound half bad. Like it was said earlier you have to use good coffee. I may have to try it one afternoon with some Stumptown Hair Bender.

Cheers!

Dan

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sounds like you've never eaten real good bread. :)
Why, because you appear to be unaware of the myriad of artisanal bakeries that have been sprouting up all over America in the last 20 years. BTW, I lived in Paris for a few years and have done my share of globe trekking so I think I may have had some good bread somewhere along the way.:rolleyes:

I was in San Francisco in March.

Sounds like you don't know where to get bread in SF. I think you may be judging American bread by the plastic wrapped loaves found in supermarkets.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Actually, I searched out some artisanal bread (because the supermarket stuff wasn't edible) but I wasn't very impressed. I guess it's hard to impress a German with bread because we have a wealth of bread found nowhere else in the world. A loaf of French or Italian white bread is okay but I can't take it for long. I prefer something more substantial than the fluffy stuff made from white flour. I am used to denser whole grain flour. And your artisanal bakeries, at least the ones I found, couldn't do this satisfactorily. Plus, the bread seemed ridiculously overpriced. In Germany I get bread that I find much superior in quality and taste for a fraction of the cost. The bread in the video looks good and I'm sure it tastes good. But it wouldn't satisfy me because it's too fluffy.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I believe the reason you guys think this is gross is because American bread in general is totally disgusting. ^^

No, it is gross because the idea of a slice of bread floating in coffee is just downright weird. Also, that's an unfair generalization.

I love German breads, don't get me wrong, but there are many countries that would argue they have a vast wealth of bread available. I make my own bread, and personally know at least 2 commercial artisan bakers in my area, one who even bakes in a hand-built outdoor wood oven and grows many of their own ingredients. Their bread is exquisite, and I'd put it up against any in the world. Locally - from various sellers and my own hand - I've had delicious ryes, wheat/spelt, sourdoughs, semolina breads, brioche, pumpernickels... I could go on. Bread variety, sponge, density are largely a matter of personal taste, and if you've grown up always eating homemade sourdough, cornbread, or dense whole-grain rye, then that's what your tastes are acclimated to and will generally prefer. Not all American bread is supermarket bleached & soggy Wonderbread.

Perhaps someone should do a taste test of coffee soup & various varieties of bread. A San Fran sourdough, a heavy German wholegrain, some Italian semolina, maybe a sweet brioche... :D

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I guess it's hard to impress a German with bread because we have a wealth of bread found nowhere else in the world.
Wait, because you could not find this fabled bread (which you say exists nowhere outside Germany) you label American bread totally disgusting? How provincial is that.:eusa_doh: Hey, my taste is for American microbrew IPA's which aren't available in Germany but I'm not about to label German beer swill just because I don't care for it.

BTW, did you ever consider trying a German bakery when you were in SF? Most every big US city has at least one German bakery. But then I'm sure it wouldn't be as good as home........:rolleyes:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Did I say that? I don't think so. I meant to say that that there is no other country in the world with such a big choice of different breads. And that's a fact. I wouldn't label French baguette disgusting, because it's in fact pretty tasty, even though I would prefer a dense German bread. The reason I label American bread totally disgusting is because in general most of it is, at least when it comes to my taste. Sure there are exceptions to the rule but they are exceptions and you have to look hard to find them. But I am glad for you that you feel different about American bread and actually like it. :)

By the way, I was in Corte Madera for four weeks. Try to find some decent bread there. :huh:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Back on topic: I tried the coffee soup today, sans sugar. It wasn't the most delicious meal I ever had. Even though I used German bread. :D

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
The reason I label American bread totally disgusting is because in general most of it is, at least when it comes to my taste. Sure there are exceptions to the rule but they are exceptions and you have to look hard to find them.

I find that kind of generalization rather offensive and again, unfair. Labeling most American breads as "totally disgusting" is uncalled for.

Oh, and Tomasso - your inbox is full.

Last edited:
In the eary '50s my Grandfather would come home from work...get a fiestaware cup....put several 'Townhouse' crackers in the cup...add a couple spoons of sugar on the crackers...fill with hot coffee...and eat with a spoon. I often asked him if I could try some. "Well..you're really not quite old enough..yet". I remember one day..he came home from work..and got two cups out. I was about five yrs old. "Come on son..lets have some"! I was thrilled! To this day..I will sometimes grab a cup and fix crackers & coffee...and think of that day..when Grandpa decided I was big enough. Actually..it is quite good...but especially with Townhouse and a fiestaware cup.....

Seraph1227

One of the Regulars
My mom's version of coffee soup was to pour a mound of sugar in a bowl, pour coffee over it and the scoop some toast through the sugar. Amazingly, she never got diabetes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael