Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CNN Living in a time warp

Edward

Bartender
Mmn. I don't kno about you, but when I Time Warp it tends to be in a whole different get up than the day to day vintage or vintage inspired. It does sometimes involve tails, though..... ;)

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Thought this was a pretty interesting article.
I'm not really all that retro, but I do tend to like older type things. I'm 24 now but my fiance does often say that I'm "such an old man"... even her engagement ring was hand-made at least 50 years ago...

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Great article. I like the way they focus on real Edwardian or whatever dressers, rather than the 9no offense to them) gothic type who do a less accurate, inspired type look. I am a bit of a purist.

Gotta say though, a quick read of Dickens, or gangs of New York or should dispel any myth about how cruel modern life is compared to life in London, new yourk or any factory town in the late 1800s. If only life for everyone was as it was for the genteel upper class, or like the movies.

I guess no one wants to live anachronistically by donning rags, starving, and living in a rat infested slum where people routinely dissappear.

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Ding Ding Ding!

Yep, I often say I would like to go back to a former time, say medieval times.... IF and ONLY IF... I were a King/Lord. Same thing goes for almost any era. I think the current time we live in is by far the best time to be an "average joe" of any. Most of us have homes with indoor plumbing and air conditioning, an average new car is much more comfortable than even the finest horse+buggy, etc.

I wouldn't have much interest in living as an average guy in any other time period.

reetpleat said:
Great article. I like the way they focus on real Edwardian or whatever dressers, rather than the 9no offense to them) gothic type who do a less accurate, inspired type look. I am a bit of a purist.

Gotta say though, a quick read of Dickens, or gangs of New York or should dispel any myth about how cruel modern life is compared to life in London, new yourk or any factory town in the late 1800s. If only life for everyone was as it was for the genteel upper class, or like the movies.

I guess no one wants to live anachronistically by donning rags, starving, and living in a rat infested slum where people routinely dissappear.

Edward

Bartender
reetpleat said:

Very true. If one might be blunt, there is also a very good reason, IMO, why the vast majority of folks who get into the vintage scene to the extent of wanting to relive the thirties, forties etc tend to be white.

bbshriver said:
Ding Ding Ding!

Yep, I often say I would like to go back to a former time, say medieval times.... IF and ONLY IF... I were a King/Lord. Same thing goes for almost any era. I think the current time we live in is by far the best time to be an "average joe" of any. Most of us have homes with indoor plumbing and air conditioning, an average new car is much more comfortable than even the finest horse+buggy, etc.

I wouldn't have much interest in living as an average guy in any other time period.

I would say that the standard of living in the 1920s through the 40s (the primary focus of the Lounge) was a lot closer to our own contemporary comfort level than say the Victorian era or any time further in the past, as much of the modern technology we enjoy today -- or at least the building blocks of our modern technology -- came of age during the Golden Era. Many of us probably wouldn't have minded living as an average person back then.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Exactly!!!!!!

M C Escher Mobius Strip II, 1963

P3L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe