Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic One Liners and Quotes

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
"You'll find I'm full of surprises" - Luke Skywalker
"That's mighty white of you" - Harry Calahan
"you're probably asking yourself, 'was that five shots or six'...." - Harry Calahan
"Indeed" - LoPan
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the Earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right in the eye and says "give me your best shot, I can take it." - Jack Burton
"This... is a cherry tomato" - scientist in Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
"Wub, Wub, wub, wub, wub, wub....Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck" - Curly Howard

"Howard Johnson is right!":p
"Endeavor to persevere"

Hondo

One Too Many
Edward G.Robinson

Caught this on TCM which will run a tribute to EGR.

'Every one of us bears within him the possibility of all passions, all destinies of life in all its manifold forms. Nothing human is foreign to us.'

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Some of my favorites.

From “The Outlaw Josey Wales”

Josey Wales: Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Lone Watie: We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.

Lone Watie: I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

Senator: The war's over. Our side won the war. Now we must busy ourselves winning the peace. And Fletcher, there's an old saying: To the victors belong the spoils.
Fletcher: There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

From “The Blues Brothers”

Police Dispatcher: All unnecessary violence in apprehending the Blues Brothers has been approved.

From “The Big Sleep”

Philip Marlowe: She tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up.

Vivian: I don't like your manners.
Marlowe: And I'm not crazy about yours. I didn't ask to see you. I don't mind if you don't like my manners, I don't like them myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings. I don't mind your ritzing me drinking your lunch out of a bottle. But don't waste your time trying to cross-examine me.

Vivian: Why did you have to go on?
Marlowe: Too many people told me to stop.

Philip Marlowe: What's the matter? Haven't you ever seen a gun before? What do you want me to do, count three like they do in the movies?

GOK

One Too Many
"You were only supposed to blow the bl***y doors off!" - The Italian Job

"To be with another woman, that is French. To be caught, that is American." - Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

"Are you threatening Miss Swann?"
"Only a little" - Pirates of the Caribbean

"Clearly you've never been to Singapore" - Pirates of the Caribbean

"Everything in this room is eatable. Even I'm eatable. But that is called cannibalism, my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies." - Willy Wonka

"Well, I must say, Algy, that I think it is high time that Mr. Bunbury made up his mind whether he was going to live or die. This shilly-shallying with the question is absurd!" - The Importance of Being Ernest

"I can hardly eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs." - The Importance of Being Ernest

"Is, is that Mrs. Frank Cummings? Doesn't she look ghastly, I thought she was dead. I must get a closer look." - Harvey

"I....am a librarian!" - The Mummy

" I want you to sing with rapture and dance like a dervish." - Meet Joe Black

"Remember, George: no man is a failure who has friends." - It's a Wonderful Life

"Whenever I'm caught between two evils, I take the one I've never tried." - Klondike Annie

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to die." - Goldfinger

"What's he like?"
"God? Lonely. But funny. He's got a great sense of humor. Take sex for example. There's nothing funnier than the ridiculous faces you people make mid-coitus."
"Sex is a joke in heaven?"
"The way I understand it, it's mostly a joke down here, too." - Dogma

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father prepare to die." - Princess Bride

"We are men of action, lies do not become us." - Princess Bride

"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" - Princess Bride

GOK

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
I'm hard to get, all you have to do is ask me.
Bonnie says it to Geoff 5 years before Slim says it to Steve but whoever, it's a classic line and something guys don't seem to understand. :(

I'm pretty sure some do ;)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Harris: Ordinarily, I don't like to be around interesting people because it means I have to be interesting too.
Sara: Are you saying I'm interesting?
Harris: All I'm saying is that, when I'm around you, I find myself showing off, which is the idiot's version of being interesting.

-LA Story

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
"Hello, room service? Send up a larger room."
–Groucho Marx, in the famous "cabin scene" from A Night at the Opera, 1935.

marx-brothers-a-night-at-the-opera.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
GOK said:
"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father prepare to die." - Princess Bride

"We are men of action, lies do not become us." - Princess Bride

"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" - Princess Bride

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max. :D

farnham54

A-List Customer
The film Collateral had a lot of great one liners in it--some very good writing:

Vincent: Max, six billion people on the planet, you're getting bent out of shape cause of one fat guy.
Max: Well, who was he?
Vincent: What do you care? Have you ever heard of Rwanda?
Max: Yes, I know Rwanda.
Vincent: Well, tens of thousands killed before sundown. Nobody's killed people that fast since Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Did you bat an eye, Max?
Max: What?
Vincent: Did you join Amnesty International, Oxfam, Save the Whales, Greenpeace, or something? No. I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit.
Max: Man, I don't know any Rwandans.
Vincent: You don't know the guy in the trunk, either.

Max: I Ching? What are you talking about, man? You threw a man out of a window.
Vincent: I didn't throw him. He *fell*
Max: Well what did he do to you?
Vincent: What?
Max: What did he do to *you*?
Vincent: Nothing. I only met him tonight.
Max: You just met him once and you killed him like that?
Vincent: What? I should only kill people after I get to know them?

Max: He, he, he fell on the cab. He fell, he fell from up there on the (expletive deleted) cab. (expletive deleted), I think he's dead.
Vincent: Good guess.
Max: You killed him?
Vincent: No, I shot him. Bullets and the fall killed him

I know, not really golden era, but a very North-by-Northwest esque suit that Mr. Cruise sports.

Cheers
Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe