Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Check Out Aero USA's New Prices!

RLM

Familiar Face
Yep, not sure I would have paid the new price for the Long Half Belt. It was hard enough to pull the trigger on it at the old price. Glad I ordered when I did.

Grinder

New in Town
Prices up on the UK website too...

In fairness they haven't put their prices up for a couple of years so it is to be expected, and they are still cheaper than ELC

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Grinder said:

In fairness they haven't put their prices up for a couple of years so it is to be expected, and they are still cheaper than ELC

Aero A2s have usually been cheaper than Eastman, but you get what you pay for. If you want a really accurate repro the Eastman A2 wins hands down IMO.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Welp, that's it then. I'll just find another source for a "Mainer" like jacket. I just cannot do it at those prices.

Too bad, I really wanted one of those damn things.

andy richards

Practically Family
It is truly sad that Aero's prices went up. I was lucky enough to buy an Highwayman and a Long Halfbelt last year...but I want to say this: A few times every month I get compliments about the jacket I wear, especially the Long Halfbelt. Most of the people who give the compliments, are staff members of shops. On a few occasions they asked me how much I've paid for the jacket, and they were amazed about the (low)prize. Don't get me wrong, Aero jackets are a lot of money, and I have to work long and hard to buy one, but in my opinion these will last for decades. Also, while discussing an Aero jacket, people are surprised that it is made in Scotland and not in an Asian-far-east country, where materials are cheap, people get paid far less and where working-conditions may be poor. I have seen leather jackets of all "famous" brands like Pall-Mall (sorry fans) at the same prices who are not EU or US made. Also, outdoor clothing like The North Face, Tenson, Fjallraven and other brands, who produce garments in "technical cloth", ask for a good quality jackets top prices. And these are really mass-production clothing (and often made in .....) . They may be worth the money, and are build for the job, but I don't know anyone who wears them for longer than ten year or so. Well...writing this...I have an old ventile smock somewhere ;) ... All I can say is that I am happy with Aero and it is very sad they have risen prices, but imho it sure is worth the money.
Cheers,
Andy

Paden

Vendor
Horween takes 25% more for the leather, so there is no way to sell the jackets to the same price.
For this handpicked leather, it is still a fair deal.
The jackets are made for decades.

Edward

Bartender
Is the rise in price of the leather anything to do with changs in US law Okay, not all the hides, but as I understood it, US laws on horse-slaughtering have chaged drastically in recent years, making it a much more complex procuedure, and thus presumably raising costs for those who want to use US horseskins (as I gatherf Aero do for some of their jacket,s though not all)?

Grinder said:

I would suspect that the Aero US prices have gone up by more or less the same amount as they have in the UK, though psychologically they look like much bigger jumps as a result of the currency differences.

univibe88

One Too Many
Just have to hope for the dollar to make a huge gain on the british pound! I was on the fence about buying an aero for nearly a year and pulled the trigger when the dollar hit a long time high against the pound last year.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
horse price

I've researched and have come to the conclusion that horsehide is more expensive than steer or cow hide only because of its expense in procuring and processing due to regulations and laws. In terms of utility, I am pretty sure its a draw. In terms of aesthetics, it all depends on the quality of the hide and the tanning procedure. In terms of the garment as a whole, its the cut and build quality, down to the hardware and stitching that makes the jacket more or less desirable. Having said these things, steerhide of specific quality can be used with equal or more success than horsehide to make fine jackets. JMO. This is why you'll find steerhide jackets at prices rivaling or even exceeding horsehide pieces from companies with the highest of pragmatic reputations.
Companies known for making the best like Langlitz, stand by their cowhide and do not recommend horse due to its expense, and I don't believe they feel any compromise on their reputation for sticking with cow. For a while I was vying for a FQHH jacket, but I just cant easily find the style, cut, design that I want from the makers of them. The ones who do offer horse, don't make it easy on the sizing perspective, at least for a person like me who is very timid about and lacks experience in knowing my own measurements. Dropping $1K or more on a jacket is a very personal task and unless the interchange between maker and buyer is just right, it can become a burden on the buyer. I am sure that high end makers know this and try to be spot on with the customer service. But in a tough economy, some makers may not want to deal with providing perfect service and go for the customer with deep pockets, instead. Being new to the market for a fitted leather jacket, I stuck with the maker who made the transaction most confident and reasonable for me and that was Lewis Leathers. My exchanges with retailer in the U.S. was smooth as silk for my first jacket and my exchange with Derek was concise, accurate, efficient, and comfortable. It struck the perfect balance for customer service and that is why I ended up with two jackets bearing that brand. The rich brand history was real icing on the cake and I wasn't even aware until after my first purchase. It started me on a research hobby on jackets. I still want a FQHH cafe racer jacket, but with rising prices everywhere and tough distance transactions when it comes to measuring, it will be a while before I own one because I am not willing to part with a huge chunk of hard earned money only to take a chance at going for that perfect form and fit.
As an example, I almost decided on a FQHH jacket, but was told by the maker that I have to try the standard size first because the shortened size is non returnable. For $800 one would expect some expertise on the part of the maker in terms of babying the customer through the sizing. I saw no tailor expertise being shown here and so I backed out. So sad!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
P5640blouson said:
I stuck with the maker who made the transaction most confident and reasonable for me and that was Lewis Leathers. My exchanges with retailer in the U.S. was smooth as silk for my first jacket and my exchange with Derek was concise, accurate, efficient, and comfortable. It struck the perfect balance for customer service and that is why I ended up with two jackets bearing that brand.

Have you posted pictures of those jackets yet?
I've seen very few pictures of Lewis Leathers jackets here.

gfirob

Familiar Face
P5640blouson
I guess you are talking about Aero as the Horsehide dealer. It's a shame you didn't give them a little more of the benefit of the doubt (if that's who it was) in your dealing with them, because all of my experiences with them in terms of fit and customer relations have been first class. And (having owned jackets in both hides) its a shame you can't try that horsehide out. These jackets are really unique and the heavy horsehide is something to itself (no knock on Lewis or Langlitz both great companies).

But it sounds like you are very happy with the jackets you got, so congratulations.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Nah, it wasn't Aero at all.

Nah, it wasn't Aero at all. It's not necessary to name which maker, as everyone's individual experience may vary. Everyone can have an off day, so that is perhaps what I got, an off day experience. I will vouch for Lewis, however, Derek holds his composure as a professional shopowner/ brand manager throughout my experience. The followup from the production manager Hiroyuki when production was complete was no less professional. They've got a good business model going from what I can see. All the other makers have their own niche, as well, or else they wouldn't be around with customers who post here about their new items.

I just warn for everyone getting ready to put out half a grand, or a grand or more for a jacket, if the transaction does not feel good in your gut, you should seek more info or hold off. In these times, people may be more out to make a buck than to make you happy, often out of necessity rather than ill will. As a result it takes effort from the purchaser, as well, to make the whole thing go smoothly.

I am quite content with the ones that I have. So much so that I can't decide if I want another. Its a weird feeling, because I just want to put on a jacket that I already have and just go somewhere lol

gfirob said:
P5640blouson
I guess you are talking about Aero as the Horsehide dealer. It's a shame you didn't give them a little more of the benefit of the doubt (if that's who it was) in your dealing with them, because all of my experiences with them in terms of fit and customer relations have been first class. And (having owned jackets in both hides) its a shame you can't try that horsehide out. These jackets are really unique and the heavy horsehide is something to itself (no knock on Lewis or Langlitz both great companies).

But it sounds like you are very happy with the jackets you got, so congratulations.

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
P5640blouson

I wasn't sure what you meant by "As an example, I almost decided on a FQHH jacket, but was told by the maker that I have to try the standard size first because the shortened size is non returnable." Usually when purchasing a jacket from any of the respected purveyors of FQHH, you can or should start with the regular size as a sample. Once you try on the sample, you know exactly how you would like to alter the jacket's length, sleeves and torso. You might be charged for the regular sized jacket, but if in the end you opt not to buy, the money will be returned. Some jackets like the cafe racer, are pretty slim cut and if your size is normally a a 42 you might be surprised to discover that a 44 will work much better.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Interesting.

I was expecting that the length of the jacket can be determined by a person's height, and eventually, by measurement of base of collar to bottom of beltline measurement. At least that how Stuart at Lost Worlds instructed. He made a recommendation as soon as I gave him my height and build, coming back with the exact length measurement of a shortened Buco Rider so that I can measure up where the edge of the jacket will sit. I'd go for a Lost Worlds HH, but the price is way up there when outfitted with custom size, crown zippers, and custom color, closer to 2K :eek: I still may do it, but for that price, I need to consider what else I can get, like Real McCoys Buco J-100 which looks slick and less built up than the D-Pocket Rider. I appreciate the input. I may be hard to satisfy:D .

s_crumb

Familiar Face
This is really upsetting. I had finally settled on a long half belt and was setting aside money for it. It was going to hurt at the old prices. Now it's completely out of reach. I'm not sure there is anyone else making a comparable jacket. I hope the increase in profit per jacket makes up for the loss of customers. I'm so disappointed.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Taegu

There are cheaper options to owning a high end jacket, you may settle for a pre-owned one and have one of those fine tailors in Korea set you up with some alteration. I remember many vendors there in Taegu who'll make anything, I'm sure there's those who will modify anything for you as well. Just be sure to get the pre-owned jacket cleaned up and disinfected, maybe even replace the liner, hehe.
If you are seeking a brand new experience, then just keep saving. You'll get there eventually.

Jedburgh

New in Town
I certainly won't attempt to defend Aero but as a consumer, prices in my world have done nothing but increase for everything. Fuel is still over $2.50 a gallon and that will drive everything. Whoever says the cost of living has not increased is certainly living some place different then me.

I have been on Aero's site for more than a couple of years and it seems that their prices have not changed until now. How they could hold out for so long with everything else increasing, is really surprising to me. I am not happy about the increase but at the end of the day it is still a good deal. I am getting a truly custom jacket that will last virtually forever. At least longer than I will be around to cry about it.

I just got a fully custom Hercules that was delivered to me on Christmas Eve. I lost count of all the tweaks I asked for and the price remained the same. I ordered directly from Aero and with the exchange rate, I paid $762 with shipping. That same jacket today is listed for $849 on Aero USA and that is delivered. If my high-speed calculator works, that is an $87 increase over a month ago for a bespoke item made from FQHH. (Note: the better deal for US customers may be through Aero USA since their prices seem to remain consistent regardless of exchange rates.)

$850 may not be pocket change and it may take extra time to save the additional $100. However, you seriously get what you pay for and you are getting a custom jacket from a manufacturer who stands behind their work.

Just my .02

Jed

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm a bit perplexed by some people's reactions here. Aero isn't a charity, they are a business with overheads and expenses and their main aim (as a business and to remain solvent) is to make a profit. Aero haven't had a price hike in quite some time and it is to be expected that they have to raise their prices over time.

I really can't understand these people who have their hearts set on such-and-such Aero jacket going "well that's it, I won't be buying that!" Honestly if you had enough to pay the price of a jacket a week ago, can't you have the sense to wait another month or two to save the money to cover the price hike? And if you honestly financially can't, then perhaps you were over-stretching your finances even before the price increase.

I have my eyes on an Aero Cheyenne. Will the price rise stop me buying it? No, but I might have to put aside the pennies for another couple of months.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Ditto on the rising costs for everything!

Ditto on the rising costs for everything!
Nothing is cheap as everything is on the rise. If you are not in the habit to count every dollar for purchases made then at least count or discount every purchase made. Things you don't need or really want, should be dismissed. Do your research to determine what you want rather than buy everything to find what you want. In this day and age, vendors that work closely with or let buyers test drive will win the business of smart buyers, and it is smart buyers that often times have the cash in tough times.

If I were running a business in these times, the customer would be king because that's the only way to get the business when buyers are more cautious.

Apparently Aero has a fantastic following. I've a feeling that raising prices won't deter those who have $500-$700 buying power for a jacket. An extra hundred or two won't break the bank for that demographic. It is the blue collar laborer who counts every meal that will fall out of the saving game for a serious jacket.

It would be a sad sad sign if the very experts that create and manufactures these garments cannot even save for one of these items. Until then, the economy may well be considered to be "still on the move". Fingers crossed, knock on wood!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld