Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
oooohhhh jeepers that looks like my dress! I just got for 10.00 smackers.....yes 10.00 smackers! I was going to wear to the Gatsby!!!!
Mary said:
2008_0703kpenhamn0038.jpg

When is it from? And is it supposed to have some ribbon tied around it's waist?

The dress is in cotton and has embroideries of flowers and small dots in white and I think it's homesewn.There are small snap?-buttons in the back. The waist is on my ribs but maybe the girl who had it had her waist there?

What should be worn underneath it? (I have a too long slip)How long should the slip be and should it have arms aswell?

Here's the embroidery:
2008_0703kpenhamn0042.jpg

2008_0703kpenhamn0045.jpg

And the waist, doesn't it looks like it should be hidden?

2008_0703kpenhamn0043.jpg

And do you have any ideas of what I should wear with it?

M

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Mary, the dress is just lovely. This dates from around 1915-18, judging by the cut of bodice, length of skirt, and sleeves. The style of raised embroidery (I am forgetting the technical term offhand) is familiar with the early Arts and Crafts movement and accented both fashion and home decor., though the design on yours is softer in line than what we've come to regard as true "Arts and Crafts". It may have even been from a slightly earlier period (though I'd say no earlier than 1912 by the cut of the bodice) and the skirt shortened as fashionable hem lengths changed. Dresses of this style, in a semi-sheer light cotton or linen were very popular starting around the turn of the last century until the early 1920's and are often decorated with embroidery, eyelet, and lace and were known as "wash" or "lingerie" dresses. They were most often worn in spring and summer and would be worn with white undergarments (corset cover and petticoat or princess slip over the chemise or combinations and corset) and could be accented with monotone or colored sashes or ribbons about the waist, especially around the period your dress is from. When they hit shorter, as yours does, they were often worn with white stockings and pumps. If longer, they were often worn with white boots.

At the waist, it looks like it may have originally had a peplum. I have a similar dress in my collection from this time with a wide collar and matching peplum.

It's a gorgeous dress and you look lovely in it.

Lauren

Hardly, but thanks! :D
The Edwardian/WWI period is what got me into vintage in the first place, so it's my absolute favorite still!

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks you so much Lauren! I'm very much in love with this dress. Now I will have to look into that period too!;)

M

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
This dress was labled 1930's. I got it about 10 years ago. My friend seems to think it's 70's but I am pretty sure it's not. I may sell it so I want to know.
I think it's silk. Theres no tag. It doesn't have surged seams and I think it's cut on the bias. The back is longer than the front.

022408032_edited.jpg
022408031_edited.jpg
022408030_edited.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
deadpandiva said:
This dress was labled 1930's. I got it about 10 years ago. My friend seems to think it's 70's but I am pretty sure it's not. I may sell it so I want to know.
I think it's silk. Theres no tag. It doesn't have surged seams and I think it's cut on the bias. The back is longer than the front.

022408032_edited.jpg
022408031_edited.jpg
022408030_edited.jpg
It looks totally 30s to me. Especially as it doesn't have the ubiquitous serged seams of the 70s.

Is the back longer than the front when it's on a person, or only when it's on the hanger? A bias cut gown will often look longer in the back on the hanger, and then when you put it on as it stretches around you it all evens out.

The spaghetti straps are a little unusual in a 30s dress (although not unheard of), but once upon a time it probably had a matching jacket or capelet.

What size is it? I love it! probably dinky small...

Sunny

One Too Many
Hmm... I'm not sure. The print looks far more 70's than 30's to me, but I'm not an expert. How is the dress cut? I see some kind of bust draping, but for the rest it looks like a simple straight dress cut on the bias. 1930s dresses didn't tend to be that simple in cut, and almost always had a waist seam. Is there a zipper? Where is it, and is it metal? Is there a tag? Are the seams finished at all?

Lauren

It's 30's. The give away is the side placket with the snaps and hooks. GREAT dress. These kind were extremely popular especially in around 1937-38 and would often be paired either with a matching bolero or cape or with a sheer chiffon or organza overdress in a solid- that way the print and flowers faintly showed through. Lovely! And it looks like a rayon or silk by the drape.
If it was from the 70's you could look inside for a maker's label, care tag, zipper or fastening up the back instead of the sides, and as Miss1929 said, serged seams. Those are most of the give aways that this dress would be more modern. Of course, there are makers labels in earlier garments, but they're usually woven and not printed.
Let us know if you put it up for sale ;)

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
It looks totally 30s to me. Especially as it doesn't have the ubiquitous serged seams of the 70s.

Is the back longer than the front when it's on a person, or only when it's on the hanger? A bias cut gown will often look longer in the back on the hanger, and then when you put it on as it stretches around you it all evens out.

The spaghetti straps are a little unusual in a 30s dress (although not unheard of), but once upon a time it probably had a matching jacket or capelet.

What size is it? I love it! probably dinky small...
It's not that small. It may still fit me but I haven't worn it because even with heels it drags the ground and I always need help getting into it. The back is a few inches longner even when it on but the entire skirt drags the ground. I think it belonged to a tall person.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Lauren said:
It's 30's. The give away is the side placket with the snaps and hooks. GREAT dress. These kind were extremely popular especially in around 1937-38 and would often be paired either with a matching bolero or cape or with a sheer chiffon or organza overdress in a solid- that way the print and flowers faintly showed through. Lovely! And it looks like a rayon or silk by the drape.
If it was from the 70's you could look inside for a maker's label, care tag, zipper or fastening up the back instead of the sides, and as Miss1929 said, serged seams. Those are most of the give aways that this dress would be more modern. Of course, there are makers labels in earlier garments, but they're usually woven and not printed.
Let us know if you put it up for sale ;)

Thanks Lauren.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Forgive this male intrusion into the domain of the damsels, but I need help dating this dress. I picked it up for my wife, but it turned out to be a bit too large and a bit too complicated to alter, so I'll prolly put it up on eBay if it's really a 40s dress (unless someone here in the lounge wants it).

The fabric is 55% rayon/45% acetate, fairly heavy, with a twill weave. Very padded shoulders, nice pleating. Appears to have originally had a belt.

dress_BW1cr.jpg

dress_BW-label.jpg

dress_BW3cr.jpg

dress_BW7cr.jpg

dress_BW4cr.jpg

Lauren

Warbaby, your dress is a modern dress that reflects vintage styling. I'm guessing from the 1980s. I really like the cut of the front below the pocket. Very cool.

alexandra

Practically Family
I have two Nu-Mode dresses that I picked up at thrift stores at different times and I am also guessing 80's.

I love my dresses too though

Warbaby

One Too Many
Thanks for the opinions, Lauren and Alexandra. I thought it might be later than it looks, but I didn't know there were 40s revival styles being done in the 80s. I'm trying to learn vintage women's fashions, but not being a wearer of same is a bit of a handicap. Hope you all don't mind me posting a question here now and then.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Deadpandiva, I'll third Lauren and Miss1929 on your dress being late 30s. They wouldn't have bothered putting in a side placket by the 70s, just a zip. Nice fabric.

I have two dresses that are that style with spagetti straps and matching boleros. They were very popular. You could always make a plain jacket to go with it by matching one of the colours in the print if you keep it.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
I found some clothes in a box I bought at auction and am wondering if anyone could give me the era for them as I am not to sure about it. I can tell you that the skirt is wool, closes with just a button and has no zipper or hooks to close the opening below the button area. The vest uses metal hooks to close with.

2672903272_950eeaed36_m.jpg

2673926915_1643335bb3.jpg

2673924927_f70b36c606.jpg

2673942921_3f84b4a7fe.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe