Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

cemetarian

Vendor
hmmmmmmmm.......veddy interesting..........it's amazing how we get a thought in our head and that's it..........yes it would make a lovely tunic over black crepe pajama pants.............or the olive green of the frogs.........

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cemetarian said:
hmmmmmmmm.......veddy interesting..........it's amazing how we get a thought in our head and that's it..........yes it would make a lovely tunic over black crepe pajama pants.............or the olive green of the frogs.........
Yes, like the frogs! That makes sense, otherwise, why are they that color?

Sunny

One Too Many
Definitely late 1930s. You just don't get sleeve heads like that at any other time. I'd guess 1939. Skirts were actually quite full up into 1940, before abruptly becoming slim; some of them could pass for New Look. I've seen a number of princess-seamed patterns, too, so that's not an issue. The length isn't a big deal for me, either, since skirts got short right about 1939; it could definitely have been for a very short woman or girl. Tunics were around in the 1930s, but I don't remember seeing any from that late in the decade. (Not that it couldn't happen, I just think it's unlikely, and might have looked out of style.) I think a tunic would've been shorter so that that it wouldn't get mixed up with a dress. But it could've been a short woman, or it could even have been shortened later.

cemetarian said:
When I first got it I thought it was 40's. Then in looking as some late 30's patterns I decided it was late 30's, and then I changed my mind and decided it was early 40's........and now I just don't know.

The pleated sleeve caps could be either (they have that little shelf, not a pad but a shelf).

Any help would be vastly appreciated. It's hom made by the way and a rayon Jersey, so it's clingy.

C638_Mustard.jpg

C638_Mustard_(2).jpg

cemetarian

Vendor
Definitely late 1930s. You just don't get sleeve heads like that at any other time. I'd guess 1939. Skirts were actually quite full up into 1940, before abruptly becoming slim; some of them could pass for New Look. I've seen a number of princess-seamed patterns, too, so that's not an issue. The length isn't a big deal for me, either, since skirts got short right about 1939; it could definitely have been for a very short woman or girl. Tunics were around in the 1930s, but I don't remember seeing any from that late in the decade. (Not that it couldn't happen, I just think it's unlikely, and might have looked out of style.) I think a tunic would've been shorter so that that it wouldn't get mixed up with a dress. But it could've been a short woman, or it could even have been shortened later.

I want to thank everyone for their input...........it gives me a new perspective.........cause like I said.........we get an idea in our head and that seems to be what sticks..........even if it's wrong. BWAHAHAHA

I wanted to blog this little lovely but need different concepts beside just my poor little brains struggles with...

And ya'll have given me many options to consider.

I really think late 30's also. The colorway works for that era as does the general silhouette.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Help!

I have several recent acquisitions for dating – jewelry and hats because I am rubbish with them!

1. Jewelry: Specifically the beads and the flower pin

Jewelry1.jpg

The beads are stone (heavy, cool to the touch), milky white with a rhinestone clasp. The clasp has a little catch which slides in.

Necklace.jpg

The pin is enamel at the stem, plastic on the flower part.

FlowerPin.jpg

2. Hats:

The straw feels like it ought to be worn this way – I turned up the brim and talk about goofy looking! I looked like an 80s Anne of Green Gables On Ice reject. It has a black velvet trim, and hat a black ribbon band which is gone now.

Second question – for what season is this intended? Third question - how would you re-shape a vintage straw like this?

Straw1.jpg

Straw2.jpg

The black felt is divine! I think it’s 40s, but that’s my best guess only. I have lightened the close up for detail.

Black1.jpg

Black2.jpg

Black3.jpg

Thanks so much for your help!!

Miss 1929

Two opinions for the price of 1!

Miss 1940s and I are sitting here together with mild hangovers...

I think the pin is late 50s or early 60s, just by the style of that flower.
The beads probably used to be faux pearls! That is usually what the underlying glass looks like when the pearly covering wears off, which often happens with age. But they are pretty! And the clasp makes it say 30s to me. You could always reuse the clap on new pearls if you wanted to, but I like them as is.
Adorable hats! The straw says spring to me, and although it could be 60s by the label, the shape is so mid-30s! Stick another black velvet ribbon band on it, maybe a flower or some fruit...the other one really to looks 40s to us, love the over the eye effect.

That's our two cents!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I would say 50s on the black hat only because of the even and rather large stitching across the edge. It seems a bit too large and mechanical to be 40s. But I could be totally wrong. :eek:

LD

Vintage Betty

cherry lips said:
Does anyone know a good site with a history of belts? Or a thread? Preferably ladies. I have three 50s belts, but I really need to learn how to date belts. Help please. I couldn't find a FL-thread on this either.

(I posted this in the show us your purchases, but it's more appropriate here.)

With apologies to Miss 1929, (I somehow skipped your answer) I have started a belt tutorial here.

I will work on it over the next few days.

Vintage Betty

ShortClara

One Too Many
Thanks for all the info, you fabulous Ladies!

The beads are definitely stone, although they look a little plastic in the picture. I don't see any residue of a coating, so if they used to be 'pearls' they are 100% worn down. There's no marbeling either - they are just milky.

Does anyone know how to re-shape my straw? I'm guessing I need a head form - I imagine that there's a way to treat it and have it become less wonky and bumpy... ?

Vintage Betty

ShortClara said:
Thanks for all the info, you fabulous Ladies!

The beads are definitely stone, although they look a little plastic in the picture. I don't see any residue of a coating, so if they used to be 'pearls' they are 100% worn down. There's no marbeling either - they are just milky.

Does anyone know how to re-shape my straw? I'm guessing I need a head form - I imagine that there's a way to treat it and have it become less wonky and bumpy... ?

My guess is that the beads are 1940's white jade. The giveaway to me is the clasp and the hand knotting between each bead, which usually denotes a higher quality bead. It also normally indicates asian origin, based on the time period and how these were made for import/export during the period.

The pin I'd guess is 50's, the straw 60's and the black hat is late 30's early 40's.

The easy way to reshape your straw is to hold the brim in front of a tea kettle, place the hat on the table, place a towel on top of the brim and than a heavy book or two. Leave for 2 hours plus or overnight. No tools necessary. :)

Vintage Betty

Sunny

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
My guess is that the beads are 1940's white jade. The giveaway to me is the clasp and the hand knotting between each bead, which usually denotes a higher quality bead. It also normally indicates asian origin, based on the time period and how these were made for import/export during the period.
White jade, really? That's so neat! I would've guessed just quartz! :eek:

Mary

Practically Family
my sheer summerdress

2008_0703kpenhamn0038.jpg

When is it from? And is it supposed to have some ribbon tied around it's waist?

The dress is in cotton and has embroideries of flowers and small dots in white and I think it's homesewn.There are small snap?-buttons in the back. The waist is on my ribs but maybe the girl who had it had her waist there?

What should be worn underneath it? (I have a too long slip)How long should the slip be and should it have arms aswell?

Here's the embroidery:
2008_0703kpenhamn0042.jpg

2008_0703kpenhamn0045.jpg

And the waist, doesn't it looks like it should be hidden?

2008_0703kpenhamn0043.jpg

And do you have any ideas of what I should wear with it?

M

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Mary said:
What should be worn underneath it? (I have a too long slip)How long should the slip be and should it have arms aswell?

Lovely dress, Mary! I can't comment on the date of this dress, but I would just wear a regular slip underneath it, no arms necessary. The slip should fall to one or two inches above the bottom of the hem.

Miss 1929

It's very old!

That dress looks to be from the teens or even the 1900 - 1910 era. It is for a smaller person than you are, that's why the waist is high on you. It would have been one of many layers, and is the top layer, a longer skirt would have come out from under it to at least ankle length. Probably would have been worn with a belt too.

But no reason you can't wear it as a summer dress now! Just find a slip the right length and add a sash or belt of some sort.

Mary

Practically Family
Wow! It's the oldest I have! Thanks Miss 1929 for explaining what it is. I never would have guessed. I'll try to find some pictures on google to see that I have got it right but I will wear it as you suggested.

Thanks KittyT and TessTrueheart! It sure is lovely! I'm in the countyside outside of Halmstad at my parents farm. A day like this it's pure bliss!
:)

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld