Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a 1950's jacket; you can tell by the sloped shoulders. I would hazard a guess that it's even very late 1940's, because of the buttons.

Don't be too quick to dismiss the fabric; it's indicitive of the era and is hard-wearing. You'll have to do some research, but it might be worth something to the right collector.

Vintage Betty

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks Vintage Betty. The velvetidea sounds very nice, since it isn't so much that's needed. I think it could suit it.

How long should the sleeves be exactly? I know they shouldn't be to long ever, but don't know exactly how long they should be.

Did they have 3/4 sleeves in the forties? I thought that was in the 50's and 60's. I really love to learn these things! Thanks! M

Vintage Betty

Mary said:
Thanks Vintage Betty. The velvetidea sounds very nice, since it isn't so much that's needed. I think it could suit it.

How long should the sleeves be exactly? I know they shouldn't be to long ever, but don't know exactly how long they should be.

Did they have 3/4 sleeves in the forties? I thought that was in the 50's and 60's. I really love to learn these things! Thanks! M

Yes, 3/4 sleeves are typical of 1950's if you want to be a stickler. But if lowering the sleeves won't work and the add-on ideas don't work out, shortening can be an option.

To give credit and quote the Ladies of the Lounge, Sometimes do what's best for you, instead of what is historically period.

Mary

Practically Family
Oh, I'm too slow. So late 40's or 50's. I thought so but wanted to make sure.

Yeah, you can call the fabric hardwearing for sure.:) I liked how you put it. I hadn't thought of that, the war and the social context. I guess it tells a story of the times then. (I actually think I could like the fabric if there colours were differnet.)

Do you know if these kind of fabrics came with the war or if they were present before?

It's interesting with fabrics. Lately I've been studing the Everday fashion of the 30's and 40's- books and realized how little I know of the fabrics back then. Have you any tips on where to learn more?! I've been to a page on modern fabrics. I guess the best way probably would be to look for deadstock fabrics. What do you think?

M

Mary

Practically Family
To give credit and quote the Ladies of the Lounge, Sometimes do what's best for you, instead of what is historically period.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that!

Vintage Betty

Mary said:
--snipped--

Do you know if these kind of fabrics came with the war or if they were present before?

It's interesting with fabrics. Lately I've been studing the Everday fashion of the 30's and 40's- books and realized how little I know of the fabrics back then. Have you any tips on where to learn more?! I've been to a page on modern fabrics. I guess the best way probably would be to look for deadstock fabrics. What do you think?

M

I'm pretty weak on fabrics; I think Lady Day, Lauren or Miss 1940's are better choices to answer your fabric questions.

However, i would suggest that you look for textile books and than ask elderly ladies you know to show their older clothing to you or start visiting antique shows and shops, vintage clothing shops. If you want, I'll haul out some books and post recommendations of historical textile books (there are quite a few on the market). But actually, I want to repeat my recommendation on using someone else for guidance other than me, since there are many more experts in the Lounge who really know their stuff.

Mary

Practically Family
KittyT said:
This jacket is probably 50s. It looks like it's made out of boucle, which was very popular in the 50s, though not limited to that era.

Boucle. That's great to know! Now I can seach info on it. (Your post came on the other side so I didn't see it until now.)

M

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Mary, I agree with Kitty, it's 50's (well, new look started in 47 so could be late 40's too). The way the shoulders are shaped and those buttons, it screams new look to me.

How's the size? Let me know if you decide to sell it.

Mary

Practically Family
I'm not keeping it. I can take it to the Copenhagen get-togheter maybe. I always end up being a bag-lady. :eusa_doh: It's not my size. I measured the waist on the outside when it was buttoned. Not the way to do it but I'm going to bed. It was 78 cm round the waist. That'll give you a rough idea.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Mary said:
I'm not keeping it. I can take it to the Copenhagen get-togheter maybe. I always end up being a bag-lady. :eusa_doh: It's not my size. I measured the waist on the outside when it was buttoned. Not the way to do it but I'm going to bed. It was 78 cm round the waist. That'll give you a rough idea.

Great! The waist should fit me, but the chest probably won't.

Mary

Practically Family
I guess there's a lot of room there. I'll measure it and pm you later today or next week since I'm going on vacation!

M

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
any info on this mirror? i'm just in love with it. a friend of mine is selling it but doesn't even know what to ask.

2559139222_ac1d695e42.jpg

2559138620_44b1650ffa.jpg

Vintage Betty

Could you scan it in? If I can see the seals of the front and back pieces and hardware, I can tell you if this is a repro or original. The pics too fuzzy for me to tell. However, at first glance it appears to be an original mirror circa 1910 in the art nouveau style; but the clips shown are typical 1920's era. However, the hardware screws for the turns don't match and appear to be modern.

I'd value this as follows if it's an original
Dealer with store and rent: $150
Web purchase: $75-80, as high as $125 if a good site with high traffic
Ebay: $25 starting bid.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
unfortunately i don't have it in my possession and the original pics are blurry up close :( however, it's definitely not a repro because it's been in her stepfather's family for quite some time. good (for her) that it might be worth so much... bad for me because i'm pining away for it! if i go over there again i'll try to take better pics. one interesting thing about it is it's much lighter-weight than i was expecting.

Vintage Betty said:
Could you scan it in? If I can see the seals of the front and back pieces and hardware, I can tell you if this is a repro or original. The pics too fuzzy for me to tell. However, at first glance it appears to be an original mirror circa 1910 in the art nouveau style; but the clips shown are typical 1920's era. However, the hardware screws for the turns don't match and appear to be modern.

I'd value this as follows if it's an original
Dealer with store and rent: $150
Web purchase: $75-80, as high as $125 if a good site with high traffic
Ebay: $25 starting bid.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
It looks like it could be somewhat of a modern import to me. The earlier ones I've seen don't have the backings like that, but are kind of "build in" I guess you could say, usually with the design continuing over onto the back.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I've never seen an old mirror that is "exposed" in the back like that. The design usually continues to the back side of the mirror. Kind of like this
6616.jpg

Vintage Betty

BeBopBaby said:
I've never seen an old mirror that is "exposed" in the back like that. The design usually continues to the back side of the mirror. Kind of like this
6616.jpg

Not always. Consider these old mirrors that I posted in the Classifieds for a friend many months ago (they were all sold on ebay for charity, at her request). They are roughly the same time period, so I'll just re-post all three, despite the obvious differences in materials. Note the fact that the leather is stretched over the mirror, but the design itself is seperated into two sides of the mirror. The porcelain mirror also does not carry over the design.

Some pictures are repeated because I lightened the photos to show the detail.

mirror_brass1a.JPG

mirror_brass1b.JPG

mirror_brass2a.JPG

mirror_brass2b.JPG

mirror_brass2c.JPG

mirror_brass3a.JPG

mirror_brass3b.JPG

mirror_brass3c.JPG

mirror_brass3c.JPG

Lauren said:
It looks like it could be somewhat of a modern import to me. The earlier ones I've seen don't have the backings like that, but are kind of "build in" I guess you could say, usually with the design continuing over onto the back.

Actually, I agree, which is why I asked for better photos. From her description, I believe this is pressed brass stampings sealed together as a modern import, instead of vintage (heavy) brass antique.

Also, the poor formation of the face is typical of modern day reproductions; it appears to be an asian import also because of the poor molding of the face ( a normal giveaway) and the modern hardware on the turns; but I really can't say any more without clearer pictures.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Belts?

Does anyone know a good site with a history of belts? Or a thread? Preferably ladies. I have three 50s belts, but I really need to learn how to date belts. Help please. I couldn't find a FL-thread on this either.

(I posted this in the show us your purchases, but it's more appropriate here.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld