Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brom shaping and today's hat anecdote

Ugarte

A-List Customer
I had a chance to work on the Federation last night. I finally broke out the steamer and had a go at the brim. I haven't been able to shape the front of the brim down enough for my taste since I got the hat, but the steam was just the ticket. Here are some pics of me taken by me before I set out on errands this morning.

In the course of my business this morning, I decided to pop into a jewelry store in Clovis that is going out of business. Holmberg Jewelry has been around for at least 25 years, and evidently the owner has decided to retire and is liquidating lock, stock, and barrel.

There were several people in the store and I glanced at the rings, etc. in the cases and wandered over to the watches. At the watch counter the owner, Buddy Holmberg, a well-preserved looking guy of about 60 complimented my hat. I said, "Thank you," and he mentioned that he had been looking at hats with the intention of choosing a gift for his wife to give him at Christmas.

He then produced a narrow catalog from somebody & somebody in New York and pointed out a nice gray Scala that he had his eye on. I read the description and said that it looked like a nice hat for the price. I asked him if he knew his size. He said that he thought that he was a 7 1/2. I offered him my hat to try on and sang the praises of all hats Akubra. He tried the hat on in the mirror and sure enough, he's about a 7 1/2.

We talked a while longer and thumbed through his catalog. I noticed a brown Barsalino and mentioned that I'd heard they were fine hats, but a bit pricey. It then occurred to me that price might not be a problem for Buddy -- the jewelry business was pretty lucrative and liquidating the store would probably leave him awash in cash.

That in mind, I mentioned I had heard of a guy named Art Fawcett at vintagesilhouettes .com who does some beautiful things. I told him that if he was in the market for a bit more expensive, custom made hat, he ought to check into Mr. Fawcett. He took up a pen and wrote "Fawcett" on the catalog and asked if he could find all this on the Internet. I confirmed that he could. We shook hands, said our good-byes and I was out the door.

I suppose if Buddy buys a hat from Mr. Fawcett, then Mr. Fawcett owes me a nickel?

Mark

P.S. What's a "Brom"?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I guess that makes you an "Art agent" lol lol
Ugarte have tried snapping the brim down in the back to see how you like it? If you don't it will just pop right back up! Try it though you might like it!:)

Ugarte

A-List Customer
indycop said:
I guess that makes you an "Art agent" lol lol
Ugarte have tried snapping the brim down in the back to see how you like it? If you don't it will just pop right back up! Try it though you might like it!:)

Actually I have tried it. I think it looks okay and seems enormously practical if I should be caught in the rain (we get about 12 inches of rain a year around here, so it could happen).

I've got an Akubra Squatter on the way and I may shape it to a droop front and rear. I don't know. Still working on it.

Thanks Indycop.

Mark

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
:eusa_clap Great hat. Love the bash, and the brom is great too!

Is it just me, or is the snap asymmetical? Like it's snapped more dramatically on the right (wearer's right) than on the left? Intentional or not, I love it. It says personality. :)

-Tofu

Ugarte

A-List Customer
AdmiralTofu said:
:eusa_clap Great hat. Love the bash, and the brom is great too!

Is it just me, or is the snap asymmetical? Like it's snapped more dramatically on the right (wearer's right) than on the left? Intentional or not, I love it. It says personality. :)

-Tofu

Thank you Tofu. The snap is asymmetrical. I noticed it as I formed it under steam. Apparently, me being right handed and making an effort to handle the hat by the brim rather than the pinch, I have pulled the snap to the right.

Ironically, I am now trying to train myself to handle the hat by the brim, with the left hand. I believe the cover should be removed with the left hand leaving the right hand free to salute, shake hands, open the door or whatever.

This may or may not lead to the snap working its way back to center, but I agree the casual asymmetry of it is nice. If I wanted an uptight, straight-laced hat I would have gotten a Homburg.

Besides, my head isn't the least bit straight. Are you familiar with the extraordinary scrutiny visited upon the Herbert Johnson Poet Harrison Ford wore in "Temple of Doom "? The guys at Club Obi Wan have determined that this hat was pinched 2/3 of an inch off center. This made the brim very asymmetrical and really gave the brim a lot of character.

I love fedoras.

Mark :)

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Colby Jack said:
Brom's one of my favorite artists!
Mark the hat looks great...Nice slant to your brom!:D :eusa_clap :D

I think that's spelled "B r a h m s". What? did someone tell you to "get the 'H' out?"

('S a joke. Mmmkay?)

Mark

carter

I'll Lock Up
You did a nice job on reshaping the brim. That's a good look for you. I'd leave the back as that swoop on the side view is looking pretty good. It is a little dramatic at the brim break but should smooth out to a smooth curve in time.

If you make it back to the jewelers and he couldn't find Fawcett, tell him to search for "VS Custom Hats".

Ugarte

A-List Customer
carter said:
You did a nice job on reshaping the brim. That's a good look for you. I'd leave the back as that swoop on the side view is looking pretty good. It is a little dramatic at the brim break but should smooth out to a smooth curve in time.

If you make it back to the jewelers and he couldn't find Fawcett, tell him to search for "VS Custom Hats".

Thanks Carter. I think Buddy is pretty net savvy and I tested some Google searches on "Fawcett Fedora" and it went pretty well. I'm sure he'll find it. Or he may just order from the catalog he was wagging around. Pity -- nice as those hats were, they don't hold a candle to the small sample of work I've seen by Sr. Fawcett.

And I noticed the break was more abrupt than I liked it as well. The fact of the matter is I'm still experimenting. At one point this evening I had a pretty good C-crown crease going in the top. I'm not crazy about the way it feels, what with the hog-back on my head, so it's back to the diamond.

Nevertheless, I have some ideas about working the brim in the future. I'm pretty sure you guys will eventually get sick of seeing this hat. :)

Mark

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Colby Jack said:
Mark...it's the SciFi artist "Brom"....:D

I've been a big SF literature fan for some time now. Studied a bit with an old guy named Jack Williamson (may he rest in peace) that have probably never heard of.

Nevertheless, I was not familiar with Brom. But having looked up his work on the Internet, I'd say I need to have a look. Tasty stuff.

Thanks for the tip.

Mark

Edward

Bartender
That Akubra is looking great! Pretty much how i want my grey fed, when I get it, hopefully in the new year. I'll have to learn how to steam: this will be my first non-prebashed hat.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Edward said:
That Akubra is looking great! Pretty much how i want my grey fed, when I get it, hopefully in the new year. I'll have to learn how to steam: this will be my first non-prebashed hat.

Bashing the Fed has been fun. I have to say, the Conair Clothes Steamer was a very good investment of $30. I use it to steam my suits and it works wonders. Wrinkles just melt out of decent wool.

For creasing the hat it is really convenient. The steam nozzle sits up high and it's easy to apply steam just where you need it.

Don't be afraid of the felt Edward; if a goof like me can get a decent looking crease, I'm sure you can.

Keep us posted.

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe