Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim Curls: Kettles, Pencill, etc.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
My favorite Akubra Squatter. I have just a little bit of curl in the edge of the brim.

SweatStainedFedora.jpg

TawnyFawn3.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My favorite Akubra Squatter. I have just a little bit of curl in the edge of the brim.

I remember that pic of you with the Squatter and a six-shooter :). To this day, your Squatter still causes arguments about dimensions and taper of the Akubra Squatter lol! Looks great :eusa_clap

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Wow!

Does it include off-street parking?

That's one cool hat, rlk. It's not for everyday wear, obviously, but still, I can think of an occasion or two for which it would be just the ticket.

How'd it find its way into your collection?

Its from ebay.uk. Does require care when approaching doorways and tree limbs or walking through crowds.

frussell

One Too Many
While I love a good kettle-curl, or pencil-curl, which seem to be used interchangeably by many vendors, I find that most of the ones I have in larger brims tend to catch more wind and water, rendering them less useful if actually working or riding. A good cowboy hat, if worn enough, will develop its own curl according to how you handle it, and the weather you subject it to. I let mine evolve on their own after getting rain-soaked and abused, and they always end up with a lot of curl in the rear, and some good frontside curl-up. A nice dip usually forms in the front, making them into perfect storm drains. My kettle curls will fill up like a child's wading pool, and I don't even realize it until I duck my head and get a saddle full of water. Still love the look though. Frank

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Wow!

Does it include off-street parking?

That's one cool hat, rlk. It's not for everyday wear, obviously, but still, I can think of an occasion or two for which it would be just the ticket.

How'd it find its way into your collection?
Like Halloween ? :) Would work well with a "Deputy Dog" costume. :)

Neophyte

While I love a good kettle-curl, or pencil-curl, which seem to be used interchangeably by many vendors, I find that most of the ones I have in larger brims tend to catch more wind and water, rendering them less useful if actually working or riding. A good cowboy hat, if worn enough, will develop its own curl according to how you handle it, and the weather you subject it to. I let mine evolve on their own after getting rain-soaked and abused, and they always end up with a lot of curl in the rear, and some good frontside curl-up. A nice dip usually forms in the front, making them into perfect storm drains. My kettle curls will fill up like a child's wading pool, and I don't even realize it until I duck my head and get a saddle full of water. Still love the look though. Frank

Thanks for the first hand impressions! These are definitely things to consider: I wouldn't want to be wearing a bird fountain for sure lol!

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I remember that pic of you with the Squatter and a six-shooter :). To this day, your Squatter still causes arguments about dimensions and taper of the Akubra Squatter lol! Looks great :eusa_clap

This hat came to me (from David Morgan) with the most magnificent bulb-shaped crown! I don't know if it was luck, or if they're all that way. I have worn this hat a LOT. It currently is in need of reblocking. IF I can get Hatshapers to get back with me, I'll order one of their blocks and try it out, otherwise I'll have to make one myself, which would be no problem, I just didn't want to do it...

I haven't worn it the past little bit....the AB is taking it's place currently... not a bad back up hat. ;)

Neophyte

This hat came to me (from David Morgan) with the most magnificent bulb-shaped crown! I don't know if it was luck, or if they're all that way. I have worn this hat a LOT. It currently is in need of reblocking. IF I can get Hatshapers to get back with me, I'll order one of their blocks and try it out, otherwise I'll have to make one myself, which would be no problem, I just didn't want to do it...

I haven't worn it the past little bit....the AB is taking it's place currently... not a bad back up hat. ;)

I believe it was luck, as no other Lounger seems to have acquired such a fine example of a Squatter, and to this day it remains the general opinion that the crown is too short and tapered to serve as a functionable fedora, except by the outliers :).

Yours, however, breaks all the rules lol!

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I have read that the Squatter from David Morgan is different than that purchased elsewhere. I wonder if he blocks them himself. Don't know.

The Akubras I have all have a little curl in the edge of the brim as they come. If you are careful in shaping, you can turn the front of the brim down, and keep the curl in the edge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld