Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

Is Daughter Maitland playing Chalky or "Dr." Narcisse or both?

I don't know whether to kiss the show's creators or kick them for that name they gave the Jeffrey Wright character. I mean really now, Dr. Valentin Narcisse? May as well have named him Dr. Highfalutin Fullofhimself.

I'm still betting he gets dead at some point this season. Maybe the last episode, a la that nice Guiseppe Rosetti last season.

I don't know whether to kiss the show's creators or kick them for that name they gave the Jeffrey Wright character. I mean really now, Dr. Valentin Narcisse? May as well have named him Dr. Highfalutin Fullofhimself.

I'm still betting he gets dead at some point this season. Maybe the last episode, a la that nice Guiseppe Rosetti last season.

To support your analogy to Guiseppe's ending, Dr Narcisse has that same element of being insane, removed from reality, able-to-function, but living-in-his-own-world that Guiseppe had. It is that trait - that living in a world created in their mind - that makes them so scary as you can feel that they aren't confined by any normal rules, even the rules of their corrupt world (whereas, guys like Nucky and Arnold Rothstein, try to, respect and adhere their world's rules) and that makes them completely unpredictable and frightening.

Feraud

Bartender

Jeffrey Wright is absolutely superb as "Dr." Narcisse. He is a great actor playing a fascinating, complicated character. It makes good sense to have a character of his obvious intelligence and charisma last more than a season. His character is a much needed one which I'd love to see broaden the African American storyline on the show.
Recall the scene in the church where Dunn Pernsley was losing control of the audience and Dr. Narcisse immediately smoothed things over.
Unlike Gyp Rosetti, he didn't need to raise his voice or beat anyone's head in. Yet he sent Dunn back to take care of the one man who didn't buy his bull. Dr. Narcisse is a very dangerous man.. :eusa_clap

The young lady in question seems to have no option/reason but to play Chalky with Narcisse pulling the strings.
I'm surprised Chalky is falling for this obvious play by the good doctor to infiltrate Chalky's territory.

I mentioned early on to my wife that Narcisse would likely use the greedy and not so bright Dunn Pernsley against Chalky.
The only question now is whether Pernsley chose the right side in this power play..

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
BOARD WALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

[video=youtube_share;O6tNK4xnlwI]http://youtu.be/O6tNK4xnlwI[/video]

So we learn that the good Doctor killed daughter's mother. Interesting.

Last edited:
Well, I'll be saddened if they off Chalky. But then, he wouldn't be the first guy who let his little captain lead him into a losing battle.

Last edited:
I continue watching this show for perhaps the reason that I can't help but gaze upon the roadside wreckage left by nasty motor vehicle collisions.

But man, I'm glad it's fiction, because I prefer a world with a far lower proportion of people with so few misgivings about killing their fellow humans. You know, a world people can actually live in.

Having said that, I'll admit to hoping for Dr. Narcisse to meet a particularly gory and drawn-out demise.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Could be great. At least it's HBO which gives a fighting chance that the scripts will be good, the acting good, and the sets and costumes decent. I'd be worried if it were NBC.

I know I'm "Johnny Come Lately" re this series, but I just caught a few episodes in Canada. From what I've seen so far, GREAT SERIES! Not sure how accurate the story lines are, but very period correct costumes etc. I wanna see more of the series.

Things aren't looking so good for Dr. Narcisse. He may wish to get out of AC while he still can.

Weren't we all hoping (and expecting) Daughter Maitland to do the right thing, when it really mattered?

I suspect that Dr. Narcisse's rodent-sniffing skills are sufficiently sharp to keep from getting ensnared in a trap laid by Chalky and Daughter, however poetic an end that might be for him. But still, things are pointing to the lovely Miss Maitland having a hand in his demise.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I continue watching this show for perhaps the reason that I can't help but gaze upon the roadside wreckage left by nasty motor vehicle collisions.

But man, I'm glad it's fiction, because I prefer a world with a far lower proportion of people with so few misgivings about killing their fellow humans. You know, a world people can actually live in.

Having said that, I'll admit to hoping for Dr. Narcisse to meet a particularly gory and drawn-out demise.

Whattsamatta? Never heard of the term "life is cheap"? It's the roaring 20's, the nation is awash in illegal booze and the millions if not billions being made off of it. Stock market speculation has everyone acting rich even if they aren't and the inevitable hangover is almost a decade away. Combine the above with a generation fresh off learning how to kill in "The Great War" and I'm amazed there's not more blood being spilled. But I'm really just busting chops. Hell it's HBO what did you expect, "Romper Room"?

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I know I'm "Johnny Come Lately" re this series, but I just caught a few episodes in Canada. From what I've seen so far, GREAT SERIES! Not sure how accurate the story lines are, but very period correct costumes etc. I wanna see more of the series.

Welp, Nucky Thompson was real, as are all the major gangsters.. Capone, O'Banion, Massaria, Rothstien, Lansky, Luciano etc.. I think Chalkie White is ficitious as are most of the other characters.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82