Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black sheepskin review

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Black sheepskin ushanka review

Hey guys, I purchased this hat on Nov 6. It is currently shipping to me. It was shipped from New York. I'm from Toronto. I'll update the review once I get my hat, and a few more times during winter when it's cold and snowing.

Here's the hat.

I'll post pictures of the hat once I receive it.

http://ushanka.com/product/black-ushanka/

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I had one of those, a fabulous hat. I had to give it to my sister because it was too warm! I was feeling like my head was getting cooked. I got the rabbit-fur version instead and it's not quite so warm.

Tom

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I had one of those, a fabulous hat. I had to give it to my sister because it was too warm! I was feeling like my head was getting cooked. I got the rabbit-fur version instead and it's not quite so warm.

Tom
That's actually interesting. I've heard that sheepskin is warmer then rabbit fur. However, Mink fur beats both. You can wear it at -40 degree to -70 degree Celsius. Hmm would you wear a sheepskin Ushanka in -10 degree Celsius weather. I'm from Toronto and the weather during averages around 0 to 10 degree Celsius in fall. Well if my hat is to warm during the winter time, I'll probably just take it off every few minutes in order to get some cold air.

Btw, the hat you're talking about. Did you get it from the same company?
Also, i'll probably buy a nice Panama later on.

Adrian,

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
That's actually interesting. I've heard that sheepskin is warmer then rabbit fur. However, Mink fur beats both. You can wear it at -40 degree to -70 degree Celsius. Hmm would you wear a sheepskin Ushanka in -10 degree Celsius weather. I'm from Toronto and the weather during averages around 0 to 10 degree Celsius in fall. Well if my hat is to warm during the winter time, I'll probably just take it off every few minutes in order to get some cold air.

Btw, the hat you're talking about. Did you get it from the same company?
Also, i'll probably buy a nice Panama later on.

Adrian,

Yes, same company:

http://ushanka.com/product/black-rabbit-winter-hat/

You and I might be different... but I couldn't wear it above -10C because it was so warm. The rabbit I can wear below 0C without getting cooked.

That mouton is very very warm to wear.

Tom

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Yes, same company:

http://ushanka.com/product/black-rabbit-winter-hat/

You and I might be different... but I couldn't wear it above -10C because it was so warm. The rabbit I can wear below 0C without getting cooked.

That mouton is very very warm to wear.

Tom

Very informative, thanks! BTW, did you cover your ears by tieing it to the back or did you wear it with the earflaps on top? This is why I love this hat. There are two stylish ways to wear it. Everyone here in Toronto wears a beanie, I want to stand out lol.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I have a ushanka that my mother bought my dad back in the 1980s, to wear in NYC during the winter. I have worn it in Cleveland blizzards and been comfortable. I get compliments and requests to buy it off my head every time I wear it. It is black bunny fur, with no insignia (the Soviet Union wass still a going concern when she bought this hat).

I wear it with the flaps up, unless it's cold and windy, when I tie the flaps under my chin. They keep my ears and cheeks warm.

The brand name inside mine is "Mad Bomber," believe it or not.

Enjoy your hat this winter. And be prepared for jealous looks!

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Very informative, thanks! BTW, did you cover your ears by tieing it to the back or did you wear it with the earflaps on top? This is why I love this hat. There are two stylish ways to wear it. Everyone here in Toronto wears a beanie, I want to stand out lol.

Wore it with the flaps up unless it was reeeealllllly windy.

Tom

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I have a ushanka that my mother bought my dad back in the 1980s, to wear in NYC during the winter. I have worn it in Cleveland blizzards and been comfortable. I get compliments and requests to buy it off my head every time I wear it. It is black bunny fur, with no insignia (the Soviet Union wass still a going concern when she bought this hat).

I wear it with the flaps up, unless it's cold and windy, when I tie the flaps under my chin. They keep my ears and cheeks warm.

That's very interesting. I ordered the navy cocade badge. Remember Sean Connery in red October? I didn't see the movie but, I know he has the same hat but, with a leather top.

This will be my first hat, it is expected to arrive in 2 to 3 days

Last edited:

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Here in China, tourist shops frequently sell the PLA (Peoples Liberation Army) version of the ushanka. It is olive green fabric, with a big Chinese Communist emblem embroidered on the front and is lined with fake fur. I'm sure it helps in the cold, but the real fur is unbeatable.

By the way, fur clothing is still very fashionable in China and you can find all kinds of fur coats, hats, and other items. I'm afraid that some of the pelts I have seen are possibly violating treaties about dealing in endangered species, though.

But the pushcart at the corner of my block has been know to offer fur astrakhans. I have yet to buy one, but they are beautiful.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Here in China, tourist shops frequently sell the PLA (Peoples Liberation Army) version of the ushanka. It is olive green fabric, with a big Chinese Communist emblem embroidered on the front and is lined with fake fur. I'm sure it helps in the cold, but the real fur is unbeatable.

By the way, fur clothing is still very fashionable in China and you can find all kinds of fur coats, hats, and other items. I'm afraid that some of the pelts I have seen are possibly violating treaties about dealing in endangered species, though.

But the pushcart at the corner of my block has been know to offer fur astrakhans. I have yet to buy one, but they are beautiful.

Yeah wool is trash compared to fur or sheepskin.

Well I just received my hat, and here are some pictures!

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I have not it worn outside yet, but it fits perfectly and you should go for your exact size. Definetly looks good and exactly as depicted on the website. Now how do I post pics -_-.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer

I just wore this in -6 degree celcius weather. I did not feel the cold and everyone was staring at me lol. Such a cool hat =).

ingineer

One Too Many
Have new sharpka coming from Canada, norka mex, mink fur. Have owned a lot of these, gave away the sable one to a lady friend, most seem to be made in the Middle Empire these days. good luck with yours

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Have new sharpka coming from Canada, norka mex, mink fur. Have owned a lot of these, gave away the sable one to a lady friend, most seem to be made in the Middle Empire these days. good luck with yours

Very nice, I like the color!

I've worn my Ushanka from October to late March every single day! Now I just need a felt.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I had a wool and a fur GDR versions of these that I picked up in Berlin when the wall fell. GDR soldiers were trading them for almost anything. Nice blue/gray color.

Anyhow, my father ended up with the wool one for his winter morning walks with the dog, and the fur one is on the head of my kid sister's teddy bear.

They were both way too hot for me to wear if I was being active. Perfect for winter sentry duty, I imagine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld