Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BK A-2. *w/pictures

thor

Call Me a Cab
If the armholes are really tight or uncomfortable, you could ask BK if you could exchange the jacket for a different model or size? Perhaps different BK model A-2's have different armhole configurations and measurements. The armholes may loosen up and provide some give as the leather breaks in and softens up; then again, they may not.
An A-2 should fit comfortably, even one that is a military/snug fit. Just imagine being strapped into
a P-51 Mustang on an 8 hour mission and in the back of your mind you keep thinking about the too-tight armholes of your A-2.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
It's a good point. I hate to already have doubts about the fit, but I honestly think that this might be an issue in which breaking the leather in will not remedy. The jacket looks phenomenal, and is arguably the coolest thing ever in my possession, but I am starting to think that the style doesn't work for me. I know it's only 2 days in, but I am now considering putting it up for sale while it is still new.
I will talk to Andy and inquire about some of the other models and perhaps going up to a 42. I added 2.5 inches to the length and sleeves so the jacket is not returnable. That is fair in my book. If anyone wants to make me an offer please do.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I emailed them and they advised me to get a jacket two inches more that my chest for a military fit (for a 40" chest go for 21" pit to pit flat measurement). That didn't make sense to me so I moved on.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
If you look at my figure, I am tall and very skinny, with abnormally long arms. I don't know if the regular rules apply to me, but thanks.

kojax

Practically Family
hello again i am 5/7 130 pounds i wear a 38 short sport coat. i buy my a-2 38-r never had a problem so far. i just got a cockpit usa g1 vintage goatskin jacket mitary fit size38 fit is spot on.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Well, A-2 is not for everyone, most A-2 looks good for me on the front. But the back always look too boxy, even for my latest acquisition from BK, the back still looks a bit strange for me. Maybe I really need to consider a G-1 instead.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Well, A-2 is not for everyone, most A-2 looks good for me on the front. But the back always look too boxy, even for my latest acquisition from BK, the back still looks a bit strange for me. Maybe I really need to consider a G-1 instead.

At least from the front, it looks good man. I think there is a syndrome where everyone focuses on one detail of their jackets the don't like, and it haunts them. I had that with my G&B civil A-2. The fit was fine, as was the comfort level, but I didn't care for the look of the collar.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The A-2 is now in the classifieds, I need to get this over with before I get TOO attached.
There are more pictures there for you guys as well.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Think about an AN-J-3 - pretty much an A-2 front with a G-1 back.
(Difficulty: never issued by the gummint, so no "authentic" version exists.)

It has been said that limited numbers were issued for a limited period (ca. 6 months or so) to USN and USAAF for evaluation but were withdrawn when the decision was taken to pursue different jacket options for each service. I have one (large 44 in goatskin), which in common with the few that remain, is missing its label so I can only guess at the manufacturer.
It is very comfortable though: A-2 smart, but M-422A comfortable. A good combination.

wdw

One Too Many
The A-2 is now in the classifieds

I think you did the right thing. If it doesn't feel right, then it'll gnaw away at you, you won't wear it and you'll eventually get a replacement anyway. That happened to me twice.

Better to bite the bullet, get over it asap and get something that works for you. At least you can fine tune it to perfection now.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
I guess we all want that "perfect jacket" but is there such a thing? Looking at old pictures of pilots wearing the A-2´s they range from a "perfect fit" to "anti-fit" (and we all know that). Everyone who served with the forces knows from personal experience that they don´t care much about how smart you look, as long as it doesn´t look outright ridiculous. What I mean it is easy to find something wrong with every A-2 on every guy and I think it would be good to relax about that a bit.
Personally I find the fit of justhandguns Dubow near perfect and Nick123´s as well (too bad it gnaws at his armpits).

Anyway, this is strictly IMHO and YMMV :)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Again, letting everyone know, the jacket is up for sale in the classifieds section. $450 with free shipping.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
On the question of armholes. I've big biceps... really big, 18-20 inches big.... The perfect arms for me would be big at the top and middle, then taper down, but I don't see much of that. I love my '50's halfbelt BUT the lower arms flop around like bat wings. I don't ride but I guess I'd have to either get zippered lower arms or storm cuffs. I have learned one thing though, small arm holes leaves to uncomfortable wear, no layering whatsoever and ripped linings.... soooooo... big is the new black for me.

Worf

nick123

I'll Lock Up
On the question of armholes. I've big biceps... really big, 18-20 inches big.... The perfect arms for me would be big at the top and middle, then taper down, but I don't see much of that. I love my '50's halfbelt BUT the lower arms flop around like bat wings. I don't ride but I guess I'd have to either get zippered lower arms or storm cuffs. I have learned one thing though, small arm holes leaves to uncomfortable wear, no layering whatsoever and ripped linings.... soooooo... big is the new black for me.

Worf
Thanks for the comment Worf. I know I'll find the right jacket sooner or later. The tape measurer is calling me.

kojax

Practically Family
i got my tape measure the bill kelso a-2 jacket andy told me the sizing on the 38 pit to pit 20 and half shoulder 17 sleeve 25 back 24 size 40 pit to pit 22 shoulder 18 sleeve 25 back 25 i think nick on your size 40 jacket pit to pit should be 22 they could of cut it short

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I honestly might be doing it wrong, as I'm using a tape measure, not a proper garment measurer. But, the measurements do look right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82