Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Murray as FDR-‘Hyde Park on the Hudson’

RBH

Bartender
BIll-Murray-FDR.jpg

http://www.slashfilm.com/bill-murray-fdr-hyde-park-hudson/

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm dying to see this film. I'm in the middle of a major FDR interest right now. I've read a small pile of books and have several more to go. I visited Hyde Park last spring and loved seeing the place where so much of his life took place. One very annoying thing was that we had a great docent, very knowledgible. But all anyone wanted to ask him about, and I mean downright obsessively, was FDR's sex life. Yes, there was Lucy Mercer, and there was Missy Lehand and maybe . . . maybe. . . Margaret Suckley (which IMDB mistakenly spells as Stuckley). But you know, he did a lot of other stuff, ya know? Like, IMPORTANT stuff?

Ed Asner did an almost 3-hour FDR monologue at the Pasadena playhouse. It was amazing. Bill Murray looks the part and I too look forward to this!

W4ASZ

Practically Family
I visit the Little White House and Warm Springs now and then for my civic meditations. I'm due for another trip.

Bill Murray as FDR ? I'm looking forward to it. :D

I'm dying to see this film. I'm in the middle of a major FDR interest right now. I've read a small pile of books and have several more to go. I visited Hyde Park last spring and loved seeing the place where so much of his life took place. One very annoying thing was that we had a great docent, very knowledgible. But all anyone wanted to ask him about, and I mean downright obsessively, was FDR's sex life. Yes, there was Lucy Mercer, and there was Missy Lehand and maybe . . . maybe. . . Margaret Suckley (which IMDB mistakenly spells as Stuckley). But you know, he did a lot of other stuff, ya know? Like, IMPORTANT stuff?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
[video=youtube;9iEtDZ5ivYs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iEtDZ5ivYs[/video]

rue

Although it's frightening to see him that old (It seems like only yesterday that I used to see him in person all the time, but it was at least 10 years ago when I saw him play in the Pro-Am ), I'm thrilled that he's finally in a role that will show off his ability as an actor. I believe he will do an excellent job.

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The trailer.
[video=youtube;UQaScjiWDyY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQaScjiWDyY[/video]

I am rather looking forward to Bill Murray's performance as FDR. I think he can really pull this one off. The feel of it is somewhere between The King's Speech and Get Low as far as the visuals are concerned. At the very least it should be some good period eye candy.

Cheers!

Dan

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Looks great!

One very annoying thing was that we had a great docent, very knowledgible. But all anyone wanted to ask him about, and I mean downright obsessively, was FDR's sex life. Yes, there was Lucy Mercer, and there was Missy Lehand and maybe . . . maybe. . . Margaret Suckley (which IMDB mistakenly spells as Stuckley). But you know, he did a lot of other stuff, ya know? Like, IMPORTANT stuff?

I chuckled when you said that. When I visited Montecello a few years back I think the same guy was there asking about Jefferson's sex life, he really ruined some of the magic of the tour. We were lucky though our guide was good at telling him when he was wrong about things and that tended to put him in his place.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
This could be interesting as Bill Murray's previous attempt at a serious role in The Razor's Edge was an epic fail.

I'm one of the half-dozen people who will admit to having seen that picture on its first release. As I was walking out of the theatre I heard some teenagers behind me talking about what they'd just seen: "I didn't get *any* of those jokes, did you?"

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks great!

I chuckled when you said that. When I visited Montecello a few years back I think the same guy was there asking about Jefferson's sex life, he really ruined some of the magic of the tour. We were lucky though our guide was good at telling him when he was wrong about things and that tended to put him in his place.

Damn, I KNEW there was something I wanted to ask about when I went to the new Lincoln Library. :D

Later

Unfortunately that all most people today are interested in. If there was a Mother Teresa museum I'm sure the guides would be bombarded with those same questions. :doh:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Looks really appealing. Murray and Linney can do no wrong in my eyes, tho, so I'll love it even if no one else does.

Hope FDR shows the Windsors his TV set. That would break a few modern people's brains.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I saw the TV! It's a 1939 RCA, given to him by General Sarnoff. It's the type with the long picture tube that sat upright, and sent the image onto a reflective mirror that you looked at. Pretty crude. But VERY cool.
The weather was sweltering when the King was there, and FDR didn't like A/C. So the royals sweated sleeplessly through he night. It's a little startling to see what looks like a different house playing FDR's home in the clip. I guess the Park Service gave them an ixnay on use of the house. To bad.
One grumble, Bill Murray seems to have the attitude and body language, and even the accent, but his voice is nowhere near as mellifluous as FDR's.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
According to IMDB the film opens on Dec 7th. (Hmmm . . . I wonder why?) If the Gatsby remake is generating a Lounge turnout in full vintage mufti, then I hope this film can get a somewhat similar response. Anyhow, I'll see it in full vintage, that's for sure.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael